Welcome to Gaia! ::

LuxuriousVacation
Michael Noire
No, eating human flesh is not acceptable. It is acceptable for dead humans to enter the life cycle of decay, to become worm food, and then that decayed byproduct to contribute to fertilizer and soil, which may then be used for plants, which may bear fruit and flowers that directly or indirectly feed humans, such as fruit itself, or nectar converted to Honey, or Venison from the Deer that eat the leaves of these plants, but human beings should not skip the life cycle and eat themselves, it is bad for the environment and robs other living things from participating in the life cycle itself. Human ashes from cremation can be used in the same way as worm food.
I'm a strong advocate of decriminalization for humans re-entering the energy cycle early in special cases, so I disagree with your position.

Perhaps people could apply for some sort of human meal license?

it's a political and sanitary issue. Think captain planet. "Billy Bob's burgers claim to be made from 100% pure 100% safe recycled long pig" and then you see the factory and notice they bought cheap Chinese equipment and don't fully process or boil the vats to safe temperatures, the diseases and DNA is still floating around, people eating the burgers start getting sick, and some start getting Kuru (spongiform encephalopathy).

Because companies and big governments will always be cheap and cut corners, you cannot trust human food products.
Michael Noire
LuxuriousVacation
Michael Noire
No, eating human flesh is not acceptable. It is acceptable for dead humans to enter the life cycle of decay, to become worm food, and then that decayed byproduct to contribute to fertilizer and soil, which may then be used for plants, which may bear fruit and flowers that directly or indirectly feed humans, such as fruit itself, or nectar converted to Honey, or Venison from the Deer that eat the leaves of these plants, but human beings should not skip the life cycle and eat themselves, it is bad for the environment and robs other living things from participating in the life cycle itself. Human ashes from cremation can be used in the same way as worm food.
I'm a strong advocate of decriminalization for humans re-entering the energy cycle early in special cases, so I disagree with your position.

it's a political and sanitary issue. Think captain planet. "Billy Bob's burgers claim to be made from 100% pure 100% safe recycled long pig" and then you see the factory and notice they bought cheap Chinese equipment and don't fully process or boil the vats to safe temperatures, the diseases and DNA is still floating around, people eating the burgers start getting sick, and some start getting Kuru (spongiform encephalopathy).

Because companies and big governments will always be cheap and cut corners, you cannot trust human food products.
Wait what
LuxuriousVacation
Fermionic
LuxuriousVacation
Fermionic
LuxuriousVacation
Fermionic
That suggests that some form of absolute moral consensus exists. Such a thing is not the case.
Moral questions are not supposed to be easy to answer.

That seems a generally vapid thing to say. Through whose intent are they designed to be challenging?
It's no less vapid than your original post, to be quite honest.

Moral questions aren't supposed to be easy to answer because you're correct, there is no absolute moral consensus. Of course this is the extended discussion, and we're not supposed to be discussing such general topic as that.

My first post was not vapid. Your question was whether or not it would be morally acceptable to consume human flesh. The notion you posit is meaningless, as moral acceptability isn't an invariant thing. You responded with a statement saying that moral questions aren't easy to answer, implying but not explaining how I was wrong. You didn't even define what a "moral question" is. A question concerning morality? A question in accordance with that which is morally acceptable? A question busying itself with the perception of morality in our society? There's very little you provided by "moral questions aren't supposed to be easy to answer". That, and your questionable use of "supposed", as if they are designed in such a manner by some manipulating force.
It's impossible to form a question, no matter how specifically you state it, that all people will answer in the same way.

Yeah, sure, the way I worded the question can be interpreted in different ways. Get over it, that's how most questions are. By clicking on the topic and being finicky and refusing to answer the question because you don't want to fill in the blanks yourself and contribute, you are being, by definition, vapid.

It is impossible to do such a thing. That doesn't mean that they are "hard" or "easy" to answer, just that there are a variety of responses.

I didn't answer the question because it is meaningless question. "Filling in the blanks" doesn't help you get an answer to your question. What is it that you mean, by "Should eating human flesh be morally acceptable? The wording is vastly important as to the outcome of the question, as a single word is the difference between distinct concepts.
LuxuriousVacation
Michael Noire
LuxuriousVacation
Michael Noire

Wait what

Captain planet was an early 1990s meme/animation designed to promote environmental awareness and corporate consciousness. It was about pollution, environmental disasters, corporate greed, and the problems of excessive abuses of technology. A typical storyline began with a villain fooling the civilian population of a community, making large profits, followed by the suffering of the community. The suffering was usually stopped when a super hero named captain planet would come in and defeat the villain, destroy their infernal machines, and then give the people a lecture on how to be more wise about the choices they made. It was essentially a 22 minute public service announcement disguised as children's television.
No, simply because it is an absurd idea.

Liberal Gekko

5,050 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Friendly 100
Sure. I mean, I assume it would be something along the lines of an organ-donor thing, right?

Organ donors basically say that they will allow their organs to be used for medical purposes of any kind -- and this includes their flesh.

I don't think it's currently socially acceptable, but it will be at some point, when we run out of almost every resource we need to survive.
Well cannibalism wasn't uncommon in low-protein areas of the world. You had a member of your tribe. He/she died. Why not eat the corpse? It was more of a resource management issue than a moral one.

Fanatical Zealot

Only if it doesn't hurt people.

But even then humans taste like s**t.

Shy Fairy

Yep. Feed it to the starving kids in Africa instead of letting it go to waste and rotting in the ground. I don't understand how humans can be disgusted by eating another human, but they carelessly eat animals of the other species all the time. There are animals apart from our species who perform cannibalism all the time and don't seem to care. Why are we so different? Why do "morals" apply to this kind of thing? Once something is dead, it is dead and cannot feel. It is not aware that it's body is being eaten. From an atheist standpoint, considering there is no such thing as a "soul" or "afterlife", a dead body should not care whether it's body is being eaten or whatever else. Mostly because it has no feelings.

If people of industrialized countries are too hoity toity to know and accept that they're eating human meat, give it to the less fortunate who don't care where it came from. They just want a meal to fill their stomachs and satiate their hunger.
enjoy your prion disease.
since when is animals killing animals for food a moral issue? the only issue with humans eating humans is the fact that we are intelligent beings and cannibalism in any animal is ******** uncommon.

it's not healthy, but what is wrong with eating a dead animal?

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Sure, why not? Although I read that it tastes like pork, and since I'm not a huge pork fan, I probably wouldn't eat it, myself.

Shameless Streaker

This is really profound.
I really wouldn't mind it, it doesn't gross me out or anything.

Shameless Streaker

CH1YO
No, simply because it is an absurd idea.
What makes it absurd

Shameless Streaker

LuxuriousVacation
Michael Noire
LuxuriousVacation
Michael Noire

Wait what
Your face is so perfect/flawless. emotion_0A0

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas