Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
village midget
There are instances, however, where situations are misjudged and things in extremely poor taste are said and people get hurt. why should someone publicly performing not be held accountable?

Oh, I agree there are times when jokes can be said in poor taste and I would personally choose to apologize as opposed to insisting all jokes are humorous because they're jokes, or some diatribe about my freedom of expression.

I was more speaking about those individuals I've seen make blanket statements about all dark humor being inappropriate. I think life is hard enough when we aren't all walking on eggshells, but it's also important to know your audience.

I wouldn't make jokes about recent tragedies like Gottfried did, especially over a faceless medium like Twitter, but I'm also aware that a lot of the people who were up in arms over those jokes weren't affected by the tsunami in any way. Being offended on behalf of other people stinks of a culture of superficiality and false appearances to me, so I would say that it's best not to try to offend people, but it's also best not to go out of your way to be offended by things.

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
They don't have ta' mean th' apology so I see no real issue. Jus' words wit'out intent ta' calm offended people. Though it'd probably be more o' a comedic act ta' deal wit' such people in th' way they would probably want ta'
Do you get offended by jokes?

It depends on the joke. People that say they don't get offended by jokes are lying. I don't take offense at most jokes, but certain thinks just push limits that shouldn't be joked about.

Does society take jokes too seriously?

Nope. What happens is people sometimes don't know when someone is making a joke or not. Even comedians don't joke all the time.

Should people have to apologize for jokes?

Yes. If it offends someone they should apologize if that person asks them to apologize or if they say they where offended.

Is/should anything be off limits?

Yes. Certain things should not be joked about.

Have you ever been forced to apologize for a joke you made?

No.

Friendly Shapeshifter

5,000 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
This Is NoMercy
I don't know maybe...?
Some jokes can go too far, I feel that there are certain subjects that really shouldn't be touched (like rape) but it is also their job to step over boundaries and try to make people laugh. I dunno, I guess it really depends.

This. I'd probably say that it depends on the subject, and how far over the boundary they go.

Timid Ladykiller

Do you get offended by jokes?
Depends on the joke and what its about. For the most part no, but jokes that are made for the sole purpose of being offensive are offensive.

Does society take jokes too seriously?
No. The majority pride themselves in not being offended by offensive things and yet blow a gasket when something that is obviously offensive, offends someone. People are more than allowed to take offense to that.

Should people have to apologize for jokes?
Absolutely in some cases. A simple "whoops wont do it again" is more than enough to suffice, you don't need to make a huge deal would of going "my bad".

Is/should anything be off limits?
Jokes that make slights at oppressed groups and peoples should be off limits. Jokes aimed at victims of circumstance or people who have been wrong. Adults making disgusting/hateful jokes at children, or jokes specifically aimed at very specific people for very specific reasons that are not within their control are obviously in bad taste. Even then some of those jokes can be in good taste if aimed correctly. A rape joke aimed at mocking the victim is always in bad taste, a rape joke aimed at mocking the rapist however can be humorous. Jokes about specific races can be humorous when aimed at the non oppressed group. Or even when its about an oppressed group but the non oppressed group is the butt of the joke. It all depends on who/what is the butt end of the joke. Simple stance should be "don't punch down".

Have you ever been forced to apologize for a joke you made?
Yes of course. We all ******** up from time to time.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff