Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should a country intervene in another country's problems?

I am for intervention. 0.26315789473684 26.3% [ 5 ]
I am against intervention. 0.73684210526316 73.7% [ 14 ]
Total Votes:[ 19 ]
< 1 2

Dapper Reveler

It's really relative.

Enduring Phantom

Intervene only if asked directly to do so, your own country is at risk, or the world at large is at risk (i.e. WW2). Otherwise, it isn't your business, and I'm sure there are much more lucrative things to be done.

Fanatical Zealot

Sure, if they're needed.

But you're better off creating a super entity that watches over all of mankind that is apolitical and not of any specific country. : P

Loyal Paladin

It really depends on the situation. I'd say it's only necessary if its a direct threat to your specific country. Or a world wide scale, like many have already said as an example. WW II.
As a general rule, I don't support intervening in another country.

The only time I think we as a nation ought to is when, in the foreign nation, there is a clear and present danger which objectively and directly affects pre-existing American interests or when the risk of harm to this nation is so overwhelming as to demand our intervention. Bear in mind, I don't think humanitarian aide is considered 'intervening' as the nation typically requests this aide.
Whenever you feel that it's appropriate for someone or a group of people to burst into your house, that comparison is when I feel that it's potentially appropriate for a country to intervene in the affairs of another country.

However, as another poster put it, humanitarian aide is more or less fine, since I doubt most people would oppose a few dollars or a ham sandwich being slipped into their mail box or mail slot.
Suicidesoldier#1
Sure, if they're needed.

But you're better off creating a super entity that watches over all of mankind that is apolitical and not of any specific country. : P

In theory, this is what the UN is for really. They have their own forces, constructed of troops from around the world and should act as a world police. I suppose the issue is that there's a lot of politics involved in this, as each country wants to impress their own views and policies into the UN actions, so becoming impartial is sort of impossible here.

As such, its not a perfect system, and it does tend to be undermined when countries take outside intervention (Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam to name the first ones that spring to mind). Being an optimist on the situation, I do believe that if countries could make better use of the UN framework, it would reduce the perceived need of certain powers to intervene in the disputes of other nations.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff