Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm doing an English research paper on homosexual teens in the U.S. And I wanted to know if you believe that homo teens should have special rights in school to keep from physical and emotional abuse by their peers?
Eh, sure. Regardless, I think it would solve a lot of problems if first off, they stopped proclaiming it bloody everywhere, and second off, took a serious look at why it was that they wer calling themselves homosexual, *especially* if they *were* going around and telling tons of people. It's private business.

4,875 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Member 100
  • Hygienic 200
Why?
Doesn't everyone have the same basic rights?
If you give gays "special" rights then you open the door for everyone else.
Soon there will be "left handed rights", "stuttering rights" and on, and on, and on..... sad
This is one of those politically correct bullshit things.
Lets say they started a Gay Straight Alience in schools.
DDT13C
Why?
Doesn't everyone have the same basic rights?
If you give gays "special" rights then you open the door for everyone else.
Soon there will be "left handed rights", "stuttering rights" and on, and on, and on..... sad
This is one of those politically correct bullshit things.

The referral was to rules that would be put in place to protect abuse related to sexual preferences. Banning it, rather. ... which technically is already banned in most schools, since outright abuse is as well, but none of the teachers do a good job of enforcing any of the rules, anyways.
No, homosexual teens should not have special rights.

There should be universal protection of all students in schools from any sort of hate crimes. Period. Black, white, hispanic, chinese. Christian, pagan, jewish, buddhist. Jock, drama queen, band nerd, prep. Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, asexual.

No one group should be singled out, all should be afford an environment that is safe in which to study and grow.

It doesn't matter if they are flaming or understated. It doesn't matter if everyone knows or just a few close friends: kids can be cruel for the stupidest of reasons. And sexuality is a new, blooming thing in teens, so many of them do not know how to deal with it.

Schools should probably offer after school educational programs about sexuality or teach about it during health sexual education.
They should have special rights. I want a goddamn crown and can of mace. mad Along with 20,000 in compensation for being born with a "disability."
please keep posting but i have to go. Thanks!
They should learn to handle their problems like everyone else does. You never know who might try to abuse this special privelige.
kajukho86
They should learn to handle their problems like everyone else does. You never know who might try to abuse this special privelige.

but its perfectly normal for someone to abuse someone for the sexuality, but don't you dare let a homosexual abuse a special privledge.

Sounds right to me... how about you? *grumble*
Everyone should be protected from bullying, no matter why it happens, not just certain people.
I don't think that would be right. Giving someone special treatment just because thier different would be like implying that they are more special then everyone else. It's like saying you are going to give all the redheads specail treatment from being beat up, or all the blondes from being called dumb. IT'S JUST NOT RIGHT.
See, here's the thing..

You can't give special rights without singling them out. Now, granted, some want to single themselves out, but that's true in any group of people. And, as far as homosexuality goes, I don't mean the "flaming" gays that have become the stereotype, with the bright flashy colors. I'm more talking about the ones who tell anyone who'll listen they're gay. (Not that I find anything wrong with being proud of your sexuality, but to each his or her own.)

Now, while I'm sure instilling special rules for the gay community in schools could help protect them, it would force students to divulge their sexuality to teachers and staff, so the teachers knew who needed the extra protection. And then, if students saw those with the extra protection, they'd know who among them was gay and who was not. And that would just allow for further teasing, pushing around, what have you, in the halls and in class. You make them easier targets rather than giving more protection.

And then you have the issue of those teens who aren't sure of their sexuality. Do they tell teachers they're gay for protection? Do they say they're straight and hope for the best? Not everyone could honestly tell you what their sexuality is.

And on another note: Those protected would have new expectations put on them. They'd be expected to act a certain way, dress a certain way, talk a certain way, look a certain way. There'd be a new stereotyped group. There'd be a "gay table" in the lunchroom. So on and so forth.

So, no. Gay teens should not have special priveledges.
If the blacks were tough-enough to fight through years of slavery and supposed inequality, than a couple of queers can suck it up when they see someone utterly disgusted by them cramming their tongue down another girly-man's throat.
they shouldnt get specail rights, becuase many other kids get beat up all the time. And as a few people have said before...if they kept it a little more to themselves...then they wouldnt have that problem

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff