Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Seeker

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Vicious Spirit 250
I have decided for my final project to do a grant for sex education in public schools. I'm asking for some views on what people would think to have sex education in their child's school. People can be for or against the idea, I'm looking at all angles.

I haven't done any research yet, but I will begin tomorrow with statistic reports and surveys. If anyone who is interested, I'll post where I got the info and my grant proposal. smile

Sparkly Hunter

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
There should be sex education, in their pre-teen years.

Especially ones that don't use scare tactics and teach about protection.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Age-appropriate sex education is always good. When they're in elementary and middle school, teach about the bodies, when they hit high school, teach about birth control. Sure, it would be ideal if they remained abstinent, but it's unrealistic to think teenagers won't have sex until marriage. There are actually studies that show abstinence-only education does nothing at best and at worse, increases teen pregnancy rates. This is for a couple reasons: one, if a teenager is told that birth control doesn't work, they just won't bother using it. Two, teenagers who pledge to be abstinent are just as likely to have sex, but less likely to use BC. (because having BC would mean being prepared for something they said they wouldn't do, though there's also the factor of being uninformed)

Sparkly Hunter

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
marshmallowcreampie
Age-appropriate sex education is always good. When they're in elementary and middle school, teach about the bodies, when they hit high school, teach about birth control. Sure, it would be ideal if they remained abstinent, but it's unrealistic to think teenagers won't have sex until marriage. There are actually studies that show abstinence-only education does nothing at best and at worse, increases teen pregnancy rates. This is for a couple reasons: one, if a teenager is told that birth control doesn't work, they just won't bother using it. Two, teenagers who pledge to be abstinent are just as likely to have sex, but less likely to use BC. (because having BC would mean being prepared for something they said they wouldn't do, though there's also the factor of being uninformed)

Kids were already having sex in middle school where I went, so by the time 9th grade sex ed rolled around a decent amount weren't virgins anymore.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
worse than i seem

Kids were already having sex in middle school where I went, so by the time 9th grade sex ed rolled around a decent amount weren't virgins anymore.

Guess it depends on where you live. My middle school, everyone talked about having sex but nobody actually really did it until middle school.
Just wondering how old is the 'child' to place this sex ed in the school?

Witty Seeker

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Vicious Spirit 250
From what I've gathered from just googling (not looking at academic articles or the like), I see kids are less likely to do it with a comprehensive sex ed. program.

I plan to look at the religious states of the U.S. and see how their pregnancy rate compares to the less religious ones.

Sparkly Hunter

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
marshmallowcreampie
worse than i seem

Guess it depends on where you live. My middle school, everyone talked about having sex but nobody actually really did it until middle school.

True but I think middle school is a good time to start teaching them about safe sex, the risks, etc.

Better to know before instead of after.

Witty Seeker

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Vicious Spirit 250
princess_pillow
From my Human growth and Dev. class in Fall of 2010, the earliest reported at that time was 11. :/

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
worse than i seem

True but I think middle school is a good time to start teaching them about safe sex, the risks, etc.

That's true. A lot of schools like to be in denial about the behavior of their students, though, so sometimes it's hard to get contemporary sex-ed in schools, especially for middle schools. Maybe 8th grade is a good time to start teaching?
Bukkuru-chan
princess_pillow
From my Human growth and Dev. class in Fall of 2010, the earliest reported at that time was 11. :/

Ah okay I see. 3nodding When you mentioned Child,thought you ment 5 years old. ^^;; That is why I asked curiously.

Witty Seeker

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Vicious Spirit 250
worse than i seem
marshmallowcreampie
worse than i seem

Very true.

Witty Seeker

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Vicious Spirit 250
princess_pillow
Bukkuru-chan
princess_pillow

Ah okay I see. 3nodding When you mentioned Child,thought you ment 5 years old. ^^;; That is why I asked curiously.
Please correct me! I need to keep my details straight. lol

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
marshmallowcreampie
worse than i seem

That's true. A lot of schools like to be in denial about the behavior of their students, though, so sometimes it's hard to get contemporary sex-ed in schools, especially for middle schools. Maybe 8th grade is a good time to start teaching?

Mine started in 5th, and continued in 6th - I think 8th is too late

Sparkly Hunter

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
marshmallowcreampie
worse than i seem

I would think 6th or 7th grade would be better.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff