Welcome to Gaia! ::

Steam Punk Adept
Belonging To Night
Steam Punk Adept
Belonging To Night
Steam Punk Adept
Such as calling Birth control users Prostitutes and Sluts

Exactly that. He believes those things, and if he could get away with it, Limbaugh, being something of a right-wing political shock jock, would say what's on his mind all the time.
Don't get me wrong, he's gotten away with plenty of hate speech in the past, but this time he's stepped too far. It's time for "We the People" to act.,

People seem to be split on this. I just don't consider what he did or said to be a faux pas because it wasn't exactly a slip of the tongue, it was something he likely intended to express for a particular reason. I don't believe that Limbaugh said what he did in error.
based on his "apology" I don't believe it was an error either. Plain and simple, it's hate-mongering, and it shouldn't be tolerated on our air-waves

Some people call it entertainment. But that form of entertainment is able to be recognized and acknowledged in different ways now due to the advancements in technology and social media.

I don't approve of what he said, but at the same time there is a crowd of listeners who enjoy his type of opinionated expressions. As a comparison, Howard Stern comes to mind.

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Oh, jeez. I completely agree that Limbaugh is an a**, but both of my parents work for Clear Channel, so I don't think I'll be boycotting it anytime soon. This is awkward...

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Miss Marinara Sauce
Oh, jeez. I completely agree that Limbaugh is an a**, but both of my parents work for Clear Channel, so I don't think I'll be boycotting it anytime soon. This is awkward...
I've worked for them in the past, and just interviewed with them again recently. The day after Rush's faux pas, I called them and told them that I'm no longer interested in working for them.

You can still boycott the stations. Just because your parents work there doesn't mean you have to listen
Uh, you target his advertisers because that's where his money comes from. Advertisers = money. So getting his advertisers to drop him means you are hitting him in his wallet. And since he's too fat to really have any balls, his money is his metaphorical balls.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
The Sky Does Not Bow
Uh, you target his advertisers because that's where his money comes from. Advertisers = money. So getting his advertisers to drop him means you are hitting him in his wallet. And since he's too fat to really have any balls, his money is his metaphorical balls.
Incorrect. In radio, you'll always find more advertisers to replace the ones who bailed. The only way to truely hit his pocketbook is to drop his ratings, or all the ratings of his company. Without ratings, they cannot get advertising.

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Steam Punk Adept
Miss Marinara Sauce
I've worked for them in the past, and just interviewed with them again recently. The day after Rush's faux pas, I called them and told them that I'm no longer interested in working for them.

You can still boycott the stations. Just because your parents work there doesn't mean you have to listen

My parents are on the stations. gonk But they work early in the morning, so I'm usually getting ready for school while they're on air and unable to listen anyway.
Steam Punk Adept
The Sky Does Not Bow
Incorrect. In radio, you'll always find more advertisers to replace the ones who bailed. The only way to truely hit his pocketbook is to drop his ratings, or all the ratings of his company. Without ratings, they cannot get advertising.

Actually impossible to do.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Miss Marinara Sauce
Steam Punk Adept
Miss Marinara Sauce

My parents are on the stations. gonk But they work early in the morning, so I'm usually getting ready for school while they're on air and unable to listen anyway.
Your parents are in a bad way. I personally would quit my job at Clear Channel if I still worked for them. I refuse to work for a company that will employ such a hate-spewing bigot.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
The Sky Does Not Bow
Steam Punk Adept
The Sky Does Not Bow

Incorrect, just takes enough organising
Steam Punk Adept
The Sky Does Not Bow
Steam Punk Adept
The Sky Does Not Bow

Nope. His listeners agree with him. Many of his listeners, though they may not sympathize with him at first, will sympathize with him just by virtue of him having said it.

So basically Rush and people like him just have to not be alive anymore.

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Steam Punk Adept
Miss Marinara Sauce
Steam Punk Adept
Miss Marinara Sauce

Your parents are in a bad way. I personally would quit my job at Clear Channel if I still worked for them. I refuse to work for a company that will employ such a hate-spewing bigot.

Easier said than done. We're barely scraping by as it is. Radio is all they know how to do, and the business is getting nastier by the year.

No sane person thinks what Limbaugh should slide, but I don't think boycotting the entire company is fair when you think about all the people within it struggling to make a living. Just because somebody works at Clear Channel doesn't mean they agree with Limbaugh.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
The Sky Does Not Bow
Steam Punk Adept
The Sky Does Not Bow
Steam Punk Adept
The Sky Does Not Bow

Nope. His listeners agree with him. Many of his listeners, though they may not sympathize with him at first, will sympathize with him just by virtue of him having said it.

This is why I suggest boycotting ALL Clear Channel stations. If they lose ratings across the board because of Rush, then they will fire Rush to attract listeners back.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Steam Punk Adept
Ratttking
kuriheartsyou
Ratttking
kuriheartsyou
I don't listen to the radio.

I don't get how the radio-censorship people haven't gotten on his case yet..
As far as I know he doesn't use any prohibited words on his show (see George Carlin's Big 7) but then again I have never listened to him.

I haven't, either. But I would assume that the government would have stepped in by this point - I mean, a man lost his job for making a "Racist" joke a few years ago. sad
Do his words fall into these categories?
FCC s**t

edit: was that the Greaseman?
The FCC is too vague when it comes to offensive. They change the rules on a case by case basis
"Obscene, indecent, and/or profane" are the categories of offensiveness included. His broadcast does not seem to me to fall into any of these 3 categories. "Not being PC" is not reason for censorship - yet - and I hope it never is.
Miss Marinara Sauce
Steam Punk Adept
Miss Marinara Sauce
Steam Punk Adept
Miss Marinara Sauce

Easier said than done. We're barely scraping by as it is. Radio is all they know how to do, and the business is getting nastier by the year.

No sane person thinks what Limbaugh should slide, but I don't think boycotting the entire company is fair when you think about all the people within it struggling to make a living. Just because somebody works at Clear Channel doesn't mean they agree with Limbaugh.

Your parents are so cool. I'm sOo jelly.
Steam Punk Adept
The Sky Does Not Bow
Steam Punk Adept
The Sky Does Not Bow
Steam Punk Adept
The Sky Does Not Bow

This is why I suggest boycotting ALL Clear Channel stations. If they lose ratings across the board because of Rush, then they will fire Rush to attract listeners back.

Everyone who doesn't like Rush will easily boycott. However, they aren't the majority of the listeners. It won't work.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff