Welcome to Gaia! ::

Religion Irrelevant in North America

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 13, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

I have to do a paper on this topic due... FRIDAY!!! I just want some ideas for's and against's. What do you think? I also want reasons...
Religion is very important in NA society. The majority of North Americans belong to a religion.
Even though I'm not religious and I don't agree with what religion does or what it's all about.. It's not pointless. Religion is necessary for some people to live as "civil" human beings.. It's there to control the masses, that's exactly what it does, and even though that's a terrible thing, it's not irrelevant.
It is more or less a matter of opinion..... I mean our great President seems to really like it..... but then again he is basically retarded....

I think that the only people who care about religion these days are the older generations you know folks who are 50+ years old. Because back when they were younger it was truely beleived

Me personally.... I Have to believe if I am to continue being a boyscout.

As far as religion goes.... I like to take this Idea from Scrivens "Reason and Faith" Saying that one has faith is just like saying one has great confidence Saying I just know..... well is not good enough for any of the younger generation anymore.

Example:
I have faith that the STD I caught.... we will say.... HIV..... I have faith that if I ignore it it will just go away. You might ask well why do you beleive that??? I just do would be the answer.... Where I could go to a doctor who would say based on what we have seen in all other patients who have had this disease this is what will happen if you ignore it. Then the doctor lists lots of reasons and symoptoms and will even tell you why certian symptoms happen

Just something to think about
Religion does matter in North America, at least in the U.S.

It is important for many of the people in the central areas of the country.

Evangelical, Baptist and Methodist are just some of the many branches of Christianity that spread over the U.S.
I do not believe that religion is irrelevant to North Americans. It is a means of establishing patterns of acceptable behavior in youth, and is also useful for the development of positive point of view for the world around us.

There are multiple roles of religion. One of which is aid in the socialization of following generations, but that isn't the main one. Religion is a way for us tie ourselves to a community, this has been true since the dawn of civilization and is still true today. Faith aids in the mental health of individuals, being a source of hope in trials. Another major thing that religions do in the United States is provide charity and aid to the poor, although this is not usually mentioned it provides a conduit and impetous for the donation of desprately needed funds and resources in a variety of ways.

Sure, Religion in America is not the only source of legitimate authority that it was in the Middle Ages or in the present day Middle East. However, I would argue that this is to the benefit of all involved. When religion is the only way to justify a government, you will have people attempting to gain political clout by hijacking faith. That was the primary problem with Catholicism for just about a thousand years, half its existance.

In closing, while Religion is not as important as it has been in the past, it is still a useful institution for those who choose to follow it and for those who appeal to the communities it creates for aid. It provides moral guidance and support for individuals as well as social interaction in ways and combinations that would not otherwise occur. When not abused, it is an undeniable source of good.
What are your thoughts about it ?
Sub Pahar

I find it irrelevant, as someone mentioned above that it is a stable form of government, I agree on that to someextent, and yes, it is probably "good". But I think we would do better without it. Every religion has it's own story, meaning conflict between two groups, sometimes leading to a vendetta... Osama Bin Laden and Bush...?
Jesus is dead. He was killed by the romans 2005 - 33 years ago. Even if he had resurrected 3 days after, as the greatest fairy tale ever narrates, he would have died of old age again. Sucks to be him.

God is only a spirit, just like Satan, Gilgamesh, Mephisto, Gabriel, and Metatron (Enoch). There is no heaven or hell.

That's my way of thinking. It's better than religionn which tells you what to think.

Aged Regular

5,800 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
As much as the US wants to say that the Gov. isn't based off of religion, its not true. The ten commandments are the basic laws in the US.

Also, the people came to the US becuase it was new. There was only one religion in England, and it was always flipping. People came over to practice what they wanted, without fear of the king, because there was an ocean in between them. Then the English king (becuase he was the one who had th most colonies, I know that Spain and France were here too) made a whole bunch of trumped up taxes, and no one liked it (Excpet the king, duh.) Then there was the revolt and such untill we reach tosday, where the main reason people come to the uS is to practice a religion of choice, not a religion that is mandatory, or lack there of.
I ain't doing your homework for you. Its called research...you know, in a library....
Wiggly_water_baby
Sub Pahar

I find it irrelevant, as someone mentioned above that it is a stable form of government, I agree on that to someextent, and yes, it is probably "good". But I think we would do better without it. Every religion has it's own story, meaning conflict between two groups, sometimes leading to a vendetta... Osama Bin Laden and Bush...?

Religion and politics go hand in hand, which causes awful conflicts. Since religion is some form of primal politics, the combination of the two today is a b***h.

This partially justifies its irrelevancy, and not only for north america. It looks like Europe is slowly going with laicity faster than the US.
The Great Lina Inverse
I ain't doing your homework for you. Its called research...you know, in a library....

That easy to see was it... biggrin Nah... I was honestly looking for the people's thoughts, i might include my findings in my essay.

Quotable Codger

Religion is never irrelevant. Though many liberal-minded people would like to put religion in a box and send it out to see, values/morals, etc. come from religious beliefs. Maybe thats whats wrong with our country >.<
of course it's important, whether it should be or not. It's very difficult sometimes to extract religion from a situation without it collapsing. Especially in a country with religion so deep-rooted in it. Besides, religion is what keeps people from exploding with questions about the inexplicable. Like life after death and soforth. Mythology and religions were created to answer questions.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff