Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Smoker

So I was gawking at the absurd number of stories of police shenanigans popping up in my news que when I came across this, based off the British model of policing:

Quote:

The Nine Peelian Principles of Policing

1. To prevent crime and disorder, as an alternative to their repression by military force and severity of legal punishment.

2. To recognize always that the power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect.

3. To recognize always that to secure and maintain the respect and approval of the public means also the securing of the willing co-operation of the public in the task of securing observance of laws.

4. To recognize always that the extent to which the co-operation of the public can be secured diminishes proportionately the necessity of the use of physical force and compulsion for achieving police objectives.

5. To seek and preserve public favor, not by pandering to public opinion, but by constantly demonstrating absolutely impartial service to law, in complete independence of policy, and without regard to the justice or injustice of the substance of individual laws, by ready offering of individual service and friendship to all members of the public without regard to their wealth or social standing, by ready exercise of courtesy and friendly good humor, and by ready offering of individual sacrifice in protecting and preserving life.

6. To use physical force only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient to obtain public co-operation to an extent necessary to secure observance of law or to restore order, and to use only the minimum degree of physical force which is necessary on any particular occasion for achieving a police objective.

7. To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

8. To recognize always the need for strict adherence to police-executive functions, and to refrain from even seeming to usurp the powers of the judiciary of avenging individuals or the State, and of authoritatively judging guilt and punishing the guilty.

9. To recognize always that the test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, and not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with them.

They seem like pretty damn good principles to base your police force on, but I wanted to hear what you guys have to say about it.

Do you have any other policies you would like to see police forces across the US adopt?
TANRailgun
Do you have any other policies you would like to see police forces across the US adopt?

A policy of not murdering negroes.

Fanatical Zealot

This is more or less along the lines that most police departments say they're following so, it's not really new but, uh, neat!

How have you been! blaugh

Familiar Smoker

Suicidesoldier#1
This is more or less along the lines that most police departments say they're following so, it's not really new but, uh, neat!

Except they obviously aren't. In fact many of them have official policies that directly contradict many of these principles.

I been good, just needed a break from Gaia for a bit. Looked around for a better community, but I'm almost sad to say that Gaia's ED really does seem to pretty much be the last bastion of civil discussion on the internet...it's the only place I could find where people actually call others out on their BS.

Fanatical Zealot

TANRailgun
Suicidesoldier#1

Except they obviously aren't. In fact many of them have official policies that directly contradict many of these principles.

I been good, just needed a break from Gaia for a bit. Looked around for a better community, but I'm almost sad to say that Gaia's ED really does seem to pretty much be the last bastion of civil discussion on the internet...it's the only place I could find where people actually call others out on their BS.

Well, like which policies?

Gaia does suck, but then again most of the internet does these days it seems. o_o

People are especially political these days, and lots of people think they have absolute knowledge, so, it can become impossible to have a conversation, or even a good argument. O.o

If there is even an implication that they might be wrong, they blow up and get all angry and can't admit it, because they can never be wrong, not even once. xp

Familiar Smoker

Suicidesoldier#1
TANRailgun
Suicidesoldier#1

Gaia does suck, but then again most of the internet does these days it seems. o_o

People are especially political these days, and lots of people think they have absolute knowledge, so, it can become impossible to have a conversation, or even a good argument. O.o

If there is even an implication that they might be wrong, they blow up and get all angry and can't admit it, because they can never be wrong, not even once. xp
You know, perhaps the better question is: how do they conform to these policies AT ALL? The whole idea of the Peelain policies is that cops are citizens who get paid to do what normal citizens should be doing but are unable to.

Yet, in the US, they strut around like they are their own jeesh. If you don't comply, you hit the ground, if you don't answer their questions, you hit the ground, if you don't keep your hands out of your pockets, you hit the ******** ground, if you aren't white...well you get the picture.

These are not citizens enforcing the laws. These are military units engaged in acts of oppression.

Fanatical Zealot

TANRailgun
Suicidesoldier#1
TANRailgun
Suicidesoldier#1

You know, perhaps the better question is: how do they conform to these policies AT ALL? The whole idea of the Peelain policies is that cops are citizens who get paid to do what normal citizens should be doing but are unable to.

Yet, in the US, they strut around like they are their own jeesh. If you don't comply, you hit the ground, if you don't answer their questions, you hit the ground, if you don't keep your hands out of your pockets, you hit the ******** ground, if you aren't white...well you get the picture.

These are not citizens enforcing the laws. These are military units engaged in acts of oppression.

Well what would it matter if they are military; I see people making out the fact that the police are militarized as being automatically bad, but it's like, it could increase professionalism.

As far as being put on the ground or beaten up anytime you do something wrong, I'm pretty sure that's a hyperbole. I mean, I've been in contact with a lot of police before, and not a single one has thrown me on the ground. I've only ever seen it a few times in person, and I've lived in all kinds of crazy places. And most of the time it's been white people, but there's a lot more white people, so that makes sense.

I've seen lots of youtube videos, but you rarely get the whole picture or even context. There's about 300-400 or so police homicides annually, which gives you about a one in half a million to a million chance of being killed ever by the police, and only a percentage of that is going to be corrupt. Violent arrests are fairly uncommon so, this type of thing isn't very typical, not just from my experience by from statistics.

You're about as likely to be struck by lightning as you are to be killed by police total.

Familiar Smoker

Suicidesoldier#1
TANRailgun
Suicidesoldier#1
TANRailgun
Suicidesoldier#1

Well what would it matter if they are military; I see people making out the fact that the police are militarized as being automatically bad, but it's like, it could increase professionalism.

As far as being put on the ground or beaten up anytime you do something wrong, I'm pretty sure that's a hyperbole. I mean, I've been in contact with a lot of police before, and not a single one has thrown me on the ground. I've only ever seen it a few times in person, and I've lived in all kinds of crazy places. And most of the time it's been white people, but there's a lot more white people, so that makes sense.

I've seen lots of youtube videos, but you rarely get the whole picture or even context. There's about 300-400 or so police homicides annually, which gives you about a one in half a million to a million chance of being killed ever by the police, and only a percentage of that is going to be corrupt. Violent arrests are fairly uncommon so, this type of thing isn't very typical, not just from my experience by from statistics.

You're about as likely to be struck by lightning as you are to be killed by police total.
And a cop is about as likely to be killed in a violent crime as your average office worker. More cops die in the line of duty as the result of car accidents than anything else.

There is no good reason to treat your citizens like enemy combatants.

And the point of these policies is that the kind of brutality (not to mention things like theft, fraud, and other "legal crimes" cops are allowed to commit) is NEVER ok. Cops are supposed to be held to a HIGHER standard than the citizens they serve, not a lower one.

How you been? any interesting ideas worth sharing? How's that garden coming?

Fanatical Zealot

TANRailgun
Suicidesoldier#1
TANRailgun
Suicidesoldier#1
TANRailgun
Suicidesoldier#1

And a cop is about as likely to be killed in a violent crime as your average office worker. More cops die in the line of duty as the result of car accidents than anything else.

And the point of these policies is that the kind of brutality (not to mention things like theft, fraud, and other "legal crimes" cops are allowed to commit) is NEVER ok. Cops are supposed to be held to a HIGHER standard than the citizens they serve, not a lower one.

A lot of this is due to the effectiveness and general preparation police have; your chance of dying as a soldier overseas is pretty low in comparison to say, dying of heart disease, but if it wasn't for all the guns, tanks, armor etc. and general training, they wouldn't be so successful.

As far as being a military goes, it doesn't mean treating everyone like an enemy combatant. Most soldiers will never fire a single round at the enemy, and far less than that will even kill someone. Most of the time, it's about interacting people, be it in your unit or around the area you're stationed at, typically civilians. The vast majority of what they do is try to win people over, rather than fight them, and generally keep the peace.

The point of me pointing out the statistics was more or less just to show that it's not very common. By not being very common, it's not a country wide thing or general trend, so to suggest all cops are beating people up or treating them like enemy combatants when there's so few deaths and injuries as a result of police doesn't really seem to make sense. Most people are not harassed daily by police, so the idea of them being constantly oppressive is well, just simply not true. We'd expect to see a lot more if it was as bad as you say, rather than a handful of isolated incidents. They are not only not that trigger happy in general, but they don't even kill people a lot when it's justified, and but a portion of that is unjustified.

My garden is completely destroyed, and it didn't produce any fruits, but I didn't expect it to do very well since we grew last year and the timing was off this year; we got a lot start and there weren't very many bees, plus we had A LOT of bugs last year and so, they were here this year in force; we should have maybe changed the growing areas, but we decided not to. xP

As for ideas, idk, I have a ton of them. I've been playing a lot of roleplaying games but, I thought of writing a book like Red Dawn since no-one has done it yet. But I'm going to change a lot to my initial idea just because it doesn't flow quite as well as a completely made up story. xp
That is more or less how cadets are trained, But they can't fully utilize this because of how ******** a situation can get, and along with this are trained to climb the escalation of force pyramid and go straight to gun/Physical violence.

And you can't blame them, people are ******** crazy practicing mma, carrying, Mace and s**t...being big and black..All that's taken into account everyday depending, I knew a cop in a small town who had never had to shoot his gun and hopes he never has to.

Personanly I think machines would work better...more durable can be mass produced, won't make mistakes..and since it's life isn't at risk it won't jump the gun and go straight to a gun! But it's not 2020 yet and so far no good responsive robots have been made, let alone tasked with protecting peoples lives.

Familiar Smoker

Suicidesoldier#1
TANRailgun
Suicidesoldier#1
TANRailgun
Suicidesoldier#1

A lot of this is due to the effectiveness and general preparation police have; your chance of dying as a soldier overseas is pretty low in comparison to say, dying of heart disease, but if it wasn't for all the guns, tanks, armor etc. and general training, they wouldn't be so successful.

As far as being a military goes, it doesn't mean treating everyone like an enemy combatant. Most soldiers will never fire a single round at the enemy, and far less than that will even kill someone. Most of the time, it's about interacting people, be it in your unit or around the area you're stationed at, typically civilians. The vast majority of what they do is try to win people over, rather than fight them, and generally keep the peace.

The point of me pointing out the statistics was more or less just to show that it's not very common. By not being very common, it's not a country wide thing or general trend, so to suggest all cops are beating people up or treating them like enemy combatants when there's so few deaths and injuries as a result of police doesn't really seem to make sense. Most people are not harassed daily by police, so the idea of them being constantly oppressive is well, just simply not true. We'd expect to see a lot more if it was as bad as you say, rather than a handful of isolated incidents. They are not only not that trigger happy in general, but they don't even kill people a lot when it's justified, and but a portion of that is unjustified.

My garden is completely destroyed, and it didn't produce any fruits, but I didn't expect it to do very well since we grew last year and the timing was off this year; we got a lot start and there weren't very many bees, plus we had A LOT of bugs last year and so, they were here this year in force; we should have maybe changed the growing areas, but we decided not to. xP

As for ideas, idk, I have a ton of them. I've been playing a lot of roleplaying games but, I thought of writing a book like Red Dawn since no-one has done it yet. But I'm going to change a lot to my initial idea just because it doesn't flow quite as well as a completely made up story. xp

My point is that the police are NOT the military, and do not need to be a military because they do not preform the function of a military. They are civilians with uniforms, guns, and, apparently, carte ******** blanche.

That sucks bro. We moved out of our tiny a** apartment and into a house. It's nice, lots of space, no crappy floors...carpet...yup, movin up in the world!

I'm pretty sure there have been books like Red Dawn written...Tomorrow, When the War Began comes to mind.

Fanatical Zealot

Project ButterBalls REGEN
That is more or less how cadets are trained, But they can't fully utilize this because of how ******** a situation can get, and along with this are trained to climb the escalation of force pyramid and go straight to gun/Physical violence.

And you can't blame them, people are ******** crazy practicing mma, carrying, Mace and s**t...being big and black..All that's taken into account everyday depending, I knew a cop in a small town who had never had to shoot his gun and hopes he never has to.

Personanly I think machines would work better...more durable can be mass produced, won't make mistakes..and since it's life isn't at risk it won't jump the gun and go straight to a gun! But it's not 2020 yet and so far no good responsive robots have been made, let alone tasked with protecting peoples lives.

The problem with machines is that they could be hacked or reprogrammed by some evil people, and would truly become mindless automatons at the beck and call of the most powerful people. At least humans have an inherent idea of right and wrong and think they're doing the right thing, and can't simply be corrupted by turning on and off a switch.

Like, if you're evil, good luck convincing everyone to follow you, you'd need to fight your own police in addition to the civilian populace, which would be difficult to do in the first place if you hadn't already won over the police. Some people would notice and reject their oppressive leaders, and so absolute control would be extremely difficult unless you had an extremely loyal army to begin with.

Fanatical Zealot

TANRailgun
Suicidesoldier#1
TANRailgun
Suicidesoldier#1
TANRailgun
Suicidesoldier#1

My point is that the police are NOT the military, and do not need to be a military because they do not preform the function of a military. They are civilians with uniforms, guns, and, apparently, carte ******** blanche.

That sucks bro. We moved out of our tiny a** apartment and into a house. It's nice, lots of space, no crappy floors...carpet...yup, movin up in the world!

I'm pretty sure there have been books like Red Dawn written...Tomorrow, When the War Began comes to mind.

Idk, I mean if they were here for our security and were more professional, I think it could be helpful. The military helped out in Japan during the Tsunami, Haiti during the earthquake, so they can be pretty effective as an emergency response force. We have more soldiers than we do police officers. Why not use some of them to police stuff, especially after they get some police academy training?

Well, there's only been a few books I suppose; but none really about being America being invaded, although I guess this is Australia, which is fairly similar. Also makes more sense because it's a smaller country; I mean, Pakistan is much larger and has a far larger military, as well. Plus, dis one is going to be about the Russians! Largely because of the recent crisis's in Ukraine and the fact that I know a lot more about their military which is a bit more concrete than say, China or North Korea. Also a bit more advanced.
Suicidesoldier#1
Project ButterBalls REGEN

The problem with machines is that they could be hacked or reprogrammed by some evil people, and would truly become mindless automatons at the beck and call of the most powerful people. At least humans have an inherent idea of right and wrong and think they're doing the right thing, and can't simply be corrupted by turning on and off a switch.

Like, if you're evil, good luck convincing everyone to follow you, you'd need to fight your own police in addition to the civilian populace, which would be difficult to do in the first place if you hadn't already won over the police. Some people would notice and reject their oppressive leaders, and so absolute control would be extremely difficult unless you had an extremely loyal army to begin with.

Hmm, that's true, Machines wouldn't know the value of life which is something I didn't take into account, I suppose though alternately a human operator could exist 1 officer paired with 2 machines (would make a great buddy cop movie) that back him up, and are utilized when he needs to make an arrest, they'll instantly awake from "sleep" mode at the first sound of a gun, At least this way with eyes on the officer people could feel safe knowing the officer won't just taze them and bust open there skull with a baton.

The machines could easily watch and act based off of signature and movement this can keep the cop from getting piled on and can keep the cop from beating anyone already cuffed up or in a choke hold ala New York cities finest.

Familiar Smoker

Suicidesoldier#1
TANRailgun
Suicidesoldier#1
TANRailgun
Suicidesoldier#1

Idk, I mean if they were here for our security and were more professional, I think it could be helpful. The military helped out in Japan during the Tsunami, Haiti during the earthquake, so they can be pretty effective as an emergency response force. We have more soldiers than we do police officers. Why not use some of them to police stuff, especially after they get some police academy training?

Well, there's only been a few books I suppose; but none really about being America being invaded, although I guess this is Australia, which is fairly similar. Also makes more sense because it's a smaller country; I mean, Pakistan is much larger and has a far larger military, as well. Plus, dis one is going to be about the Russians! Largely because of the recent crisis's in Ukraine and the fact that I know a lot more about their military which is a bit more concrete than say, China or North Korea. Also a bit more advanced.

Because It's entirely unnecessary. We have the National Guard for that kind of thing. The problem is with cop culture, not professionalism.

Russia couldn't take us, at least not as they are right now. And an invasion of the continental US makes no since for a number of reasons...not the least of which being "nukes". But I suppose that's part of what's awesome about fiction, it's meant to reflect reality, not BE reality. You'll have to figure your way around the nukes though...also supply lines. As it stands we move most things that need to go clear across the country by ship, mostly because of the Rocky Mountains. That would actually be a wonderful place for the protagonists to ******** with the Russians, attacking any roads or bridges in the Rocky Mountains so as to disrupt supply lines. Mountain passes and bridges are notoriously easy to destroy and difficult to repair.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff