Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Tactician

11,250 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Contributor 150
SweetTeaKindaSweet

if you knew anything about me and my faith you'd understand that I'm not some sheltered Jesus Freak.
Good job at demonstrating that.
You've really, really got me convinced.

Except for the fact where I never mentioned Jesus to begin with.
And that that wasn't really the point.
'Cause it's not really about what you have deluded yourself into, it's the institutions you seem to get behind.

They're not good institutions.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
The rebel flag can be a tricky issue because people have different reasons for flying one or wearing it on clothing. Some find pride in it. I have some Southern white ancestry and I don't see much to be proud about given the type of society/culture the South had at that time of rebellion, but if others do fine. I'm not going to climb on top of your house and take your flag down. However, you can't be too surprised when black people look at you funny when you sit there waving it around. Even if you aren't a racist that doesn't change the origin of that flag. The Confederacy wanted to preserve their way of life and slavery was indeed a huge part of that.

Lonely Friend

If you "don't see color" when talking to other people, you usually don't excuse casual racism with "I have black and mixed friends that I love to death, y'all". JS, sweet tea.

On the point, a lot of people see some sort of cultural significance in the confederate flag. Personally, I think those people are deluding themselves into thinking that you can take the cultural aspects of the South and identify with it without also being into the whole owning people part.

As a southerner, I don't identify with it because it's an abstract of the Cause. Something that I can't get jiggy with. And if you wear a tee shirt with the stars and bars on it, you either better be in some sort of reenactment larp, or deal with it when people call you a racist scallawag.

Aged Fatcat

It doesn't bother me. I can see where people say "Well at the time-" and so fourth, however in my mind I didn't live through that situation and I don't associate it negatively. I'm southern as well, but also Cherokee for example; so when people bring up trail of tears crap, I'm thinking the only person who can be angry at white people is my great grand mother, grandmother ect. I mean they were made to learn English, they suffered moving onto a reservation, learning the Bible when they weren't Christian. (not downing religion I'm Catholic just using it as an example of what they went through) So when I think about the Confederate flag, yes I'm proud of my southern heritage and I have many friends who fly the flag; I don't see it as a symbol of hate, however I see how generations before me would. Double edge sword. Now if I was forced into slavery, I would be mortified of the symbolism behind it. If all that makes sense, I'm running low on sleep.
Is it not possible in America to change and grow its symbolism? The flag once meant one thing and now means another to people who fly it. Once standing for a nation now just standing for a southern way of living that doesn't necessarily involve racism

Just like the Nazi party stole and changed the symbol from the Buddhist religion using it for hate instead of enlightenment. They took something peaceful and made it hateful, can we not take the flag and make it mean something better?

Tipsy Smoker

I love being Southern, but I don't have to sport a rebel flag.
My uncle does btw and he's black and it's awkward.

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
It's part of my Northern heritage is to burn that flag and crush the injustice attached to it. People who see it as part of their identity are ignorant as all hell. If the south ever, "rose again," I'd gladly fight it, and do my own little Sherman's march on that s**t.
Like the swastika or the pentagram, the "rebel flag" has many meanings, and unfortunately, regardless of whichever one is intended, most audiences assume negativity from it.

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
DynaSuarez Wrecks
Like the swastika or the pentagram, the "rebel flag" has many meanings, and unfortunately, regardless of whichever one is intended, most audiences assume negativity from it.
What other meaning of the Confederate battle flag are you talking about? The one where it defends slavery and the industries attached to it, or the one where they want states rights so they can enforce Jim Crow laws?
Obviously, many people like to fly it just because they're racist. Some fly it out of "southern pride" (whatever that even means exactly; probably has something to do with antiquated lifestyles like men walking closest to the street when they're with their lady). It's used as a symbol of the tenth amendment. A more contemporary usage but not really a mainstream one is its display by self-proclaimed patriots (mostly libertarians) who disapprove of the current state of the federal government.

By the way, I suspect you tipped me on accident. Would you like your 25 gold back?

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
DynaSuarez Wrecks
Obviously, many people like to fly it just because they're racist. Some fly it out of "southern pride" (whatever that even means exactly; probably has something to do with antiquated lifestyles like men walking closest to the street when they're with their lady). It's used as a symbol of the tenth amendment. A more contemporary usage but not really a mainstream one is its display by self-proclaimed patriots (mostly libertarians) who disapprove of the current state of the federal government.

By the way, I suspect you tipped me on accident. Would you like your 25 gold back?
No, keep your gold, and your ignorance. The south just wants to enforce Jim Crow laws, voting restrictions, and homophobia with their bullshit states rights campaign. And the people there are ignorant enough to go along with it. What a load of whore s**t.

Beloved Lunatic

Enlightened Despot
It's part of my Northern heritage is to burn that flag and crush the injustice attached to it. People who see it as part of their identity are ignorant as all hell. If the south ever, "rose again," I'd gladly fight it, and do my own little Sherman's march on that s**t.

So, you're assuming that if the South tries to secede again that it will be over racial oppression? Some other issue in which they are clearly in the wrong maybe? Or is it just that you believe having the audacity to not want to be part of the United States of America is enough to justify slaughtering people and destroying their land? Why so ready to fight, huh?

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
from blue to
Enlightened Despot

So, you're assuming that if the South tries to secede again that it will be over racial oppression? Some other issue in which they are clearly in the wrong maybe? Or is it just that you believe having the audacity to not want to be part of the United States of America is enough to justify slaughtering people and destroying their land? Why so ready to fight, huh?
I'm saying this because it's a known fact that many people in the south are racist, homophobic, and ignorant religious radicals. Most of the people who say, "The south will rise again," are those same ignorant people. So yes, for the good of human rights I would gladly support a war with the south if they ever tried that rebel s**t again.

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
DynaSuarez Wrecks
lol k bro
Whatever. Why don't you try quoting me instead so that I can see what you're saying for a change.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff