Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I am not sure where this belongs in the forums so if I am in the wrong place I apologize. I thought Extended Discussion or Sociology/Psychology but as I posted, I'm not sure where...

So, I have been thinking...

What is reality?
How do you know we exist?
How do we know if anything exists?
Why, if we do, exist? Meaning, What is our purpose to live, die, exist?
Just seeing doesn't necessarily mean that it is real...right? I mean, the blind can't see...or what about hearing..? or any of our senses..?

I can't smell. I was born that way. So I don't know what smell really is. I just hear what people describe of smelling. Does that mean that it doesn't exist? Sure you can explain it but I'll never really get it...or experience it...

What if none of us really existed...I know we experience things. But what if we really don't...then do we exist?

I am curious as to what your answers would be. I would really appreciate a discussion on this topic.
I was thinking of that for peopoe who cant sense pain. How do you explain hell to them???

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
User Image

When I have a cold and my nose is plugged up, everything I eat tastes like cardboard. How is it for you?

User Image

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Larry Matasareanu The 2nd
I was thinking of that for peopoe who cant sense pain. How do you explain hell to them???

You could but it would be very vague because, yes, it would be difficult. Therefore, they will truly never understand. I guess words for pain is really is limited. But you could also count the other senses with this thought as well. How do you explain to a blind person what you see..? The colors? The shapes? Just any visual information for a blind person is difficult to explain and the blind person may feel very confused and overwhelmed with all the information you give them. I think that also goes the same for all the other senses.

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Scarred Sword Heart
User Image

When I have a cold and my nose is plugged up, everything I eat tastes like cardboard. How is it for you?

User Image

My sense of taste is altered...I think. See I never really experienced the sense of smell. I don't know what smell really is. Doctors say that my sense of taste is probably altered because of the lack of smell. But I really don't know. I can only guess. But, I can't answer your question for, I have never tried to taste cardboard...lol. I don't think it does...but how do I really know?
Read a book on philosophy.

I honestly don't want to descend to insults, but by God, you sound like a philosophical amateur hour.

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
azulmagia

I honestly don't want to descend to insults, but by God, you sound like a philosophical amateur hour.

If you are not going to be respectful and give good input about the topic then don't post here.
AngelsDreadedFear
azulmagia

If you are not going to be respectful and give good input about the topic then don't post here.

What's being respectful? You don't seem to want to exert yourself to answer these questions, when one extremely well-known philosopher, namely Descartes wrote, "I think therefore I am," which would appear to answer at least one of your questions in a satisfactory manner.

Witty Phantom

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
In order.

Good question.
I think therefore I am.
******** hard solipsism.
Who said there was a meaning, and why does there need to be one?
Seeing something does not necessarily make it real, circumstances dependent.

You have a lot fo thoughts. Next time though please express your own thoughts on your questions as well.

Newbie Noob

AngelsDreadedFear
I am not sure where this belongs in the forums so if I am in the wrong place I apologize. I thought Extended Discussion or Sociology/Psychology but as I posted, I'm not sure where...
Here is fine

AngelsDreadedFear
So, I have been thinking...

What is reality?
How do you know we exist?
How do we know if anything exists?
Why, if we do, exist? Meaning, What is our purpose to live, die, exist?
Just seeing doesn't necessarily mean that it is real...right? I mean, the blind can't see...or what about hearing..? or any of our senses..?
Does it matter? Lets say you don't exist, now what?
AngelsDreadedFear
What if none of us really existed...I know we experience things. But what if we really don't...then do we exist?
Point is that nothing would change, even if that was true.

AngelsDreadedFear
I can't smell. I was born that way. So I don't know what smell really is. I just hear what people describe of smelling. Does that mean that it doesn't exist? Sure you can explain it but I'll never really get it...or experience it...
It's like being able to taste things without having to actually put it into your mouth.
You watched the Matrix didn't you?

For the meaning of life I understand that things in our society make you feel like there's a certain way you have to do life and if you don't do it there's no meaning in your life. IE. Having a career, having children, getting married, seeing other parts of the world, figuring out what you want to do with your life...Life doesn't have to have meaning other than to live.

As to answer you about whether smells exist since you can't smell-of course smells exist. There are countless things that prove the existence of smells. I was born hearing impaired, runs in the family. So there are certain sounds I can't hear and other than having hearing tests showing me I can't hear them there are people with normal hearing that can hear these things but I can't.
azulmagia
AngelsDreadedFear

What's being respectful? You don't seem to want to exert yourself to answer these questions, when one extremely well-known philosopher, namely Descartes wrote, "I think therefore I am," which would appear to answer at least one of your questions in a satisfactory manner.

Descartes Was a Moron

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
kelsey-chan

For the meaning of life I understand that things in our society make you feel like there's a certain way you have to do life and if you don't do it there's no meaning in your life. IE. Having a career, having children, getting married, seeing other parts of the world, figuring out what you want to do with your life...Life doesn't have to have meaning other than to live.

As to answer you about whether smells exist since you can't smell-of course smells exist. There are countless things that prove the existence of smells. I was born hearing impaired, runs in the family. So there are certain sounds I can't hear and other than having hearing tests showing me I can't hear them there are people with normal hearing that can hear these things but I can't.

Thanks so much for your input. I believe everyone has their own beliefs and I think you contributed enormously. I like your input, I understand it.

And as far as as The Matrix, no, I have not seen it. Why do you ask?
AngelsDreadedFear
kelsey-chan

Thanks so much for your input. I believe everyone has their own beliefs and I think you contributed enormously. I like your input, I understand it.

And as far as as The Matrix, no, I have not seen it. Why do you ask?

Hey it's no problem. I'm glad I said something that was helpful for you.

The Matrix is a movie about whether the reality we know is the one we think it is at all. It's a really great movie and I'd think you'd like it. Just don't watch the sequels...
Lucky~9~Lives
azulmagia
AngelsDreadedFear

Descartes Was a Moron
Not this again ...
You can't philosophize about existence if you don't exist. It doesn't even matter how you exist, but your minds needs to actually be to be able to ponder it's own existence. Something that doesn't exist can't ponder.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff