Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shade

16,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Devin 200
  • Punk Patrol 250
in basically every society, murder is treated as the worst crime possible to commit
but personally, i feel that rape is a much more heinous and disgusting crime

murder is a crime that can be committed out of anger, out of love, out of fear, out of jealousy, out of boredom and even by accident or in self-defence.
rape however, is a crime with a singular motive; forcing yourself upon an unwilling participant for your own sexual satisfaction
you cant accidentally have sex, you have to be fully aware of what you're doing if you force yourself upon another
this is why i believe rape is worse than murder
another reason is that at least in murder, thats it, you're dead and nothing worse can happen
discuss?

please note this topic is not in anyway meant to offend any persons or parties or to defend the crime of murder which is serious crime
also, if this topic is inappropriate or insulting or not allowed to be discussed, please inform me and i shall delete it
please treat this topic seriously, im genuinely curious to hear what others believe
thank you

Timid Wife

Dealing with rape is a lifelong battle. Murder... well, you're dead for one. :/

Shade

16,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Devin 200
  • Punk Patrol 250
Raptor Mechanic
Dealing with rape is a lifelong battle. Murder... well, you're dead for one. :/

thats one of the main reasons i feel that rape is worse than murder
while i myself have never been raped so i cannot factor personal experience into it, rape is extremely hard to overcome, while with murder, there is nothing to overcome, because you're dead

Tipsy Smoker

Uhm I have been raped...and I'm rather glad I survived. Rape is something you can work through. Death is not. We are not victims. We are survivors. :/
Rather be raped and alive than dead.

For the victim - being murdered is always worse. Death is final, your free will is taken from you violently and you're not getting it back. You're dead, it's the end of the road.
As a victim of rape on the other hand you're only temporarily out of control, you can continue to live your life even if it's marred by the memory of abuse. Some people overcome it, some don't, but at least they are given that much of a choice.

As to which one is the worse crime, that's kind of comparing apples and oranges. They are both bad.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
I'd disagree that one is in some way inherently worse than the other.

Both are awful, and while rape victims face many awful things to overcome, much of that is due to societal attitudes towards the victim of such crimes, rather than the horror of the act itself. Rape victims, instead of receiving the same empathy and compassion as the those affected by murder (such as the family/friends of the deceased), are treated as if they were responsible for the actions that occurred against them. This, more than anything, is a reason for rape to be "worse" than murder, but of the two crimes themselves its impossible to impose a hierarchy upon them.

In terms of legal penalties handed down to perpetrators, it makes some sense that murder faces harsher penalties than rape - the ending of one's life against their will is considered the worst crime one can commit, compared to any other crime. There are still living victims of a murder, with the crime impacting on the lives of those who knew and loved the murdered person, but perhaps the impact of murder is less than the impact of rape upon the actual victim - after all, one is left alive to suffer while the other feels nothing at all, being dead. Having said that, as much as society does not want people to rape, it wants them to kill even less...

Sorry, I'm rambling... Summary, both are bad, its impossible to say which is worse, and its a waste of time to try and apply a hierarchy to suffering.

Astral Fairy

11,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
Whenever this thread comes around I always say the same thing that rape is infinitely worse.

Facing death doesn't frighten me. But the idea of someone taking away all power, control, and feeling away from you does.

Shade

16,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Devin 200
  • Punk Patrol 250
I AM R U

Both are awful, and while rape victims face many awful things to overcome, much of that is due to societal attitudes towards the victim of such crimes, rather than the horror of the act itself. Rape victims, instead of receiving the same empathy and compassion as the those affected by murder (such as the family/friends of the deceased), are treated as if they were responsible for the actions that occurred against them. This, more than anything, is a reason for rape to be "worse" than murder, but of the two crimes themselves its impossible to impose a hierarchy upon them.

In terms of legal penalties handed down to perpetrators, it makes some sense that murder faces harsher penalties than rape - the ending of one's life against their will is considered the worst crime one can commit, compared to any other crime. There are still living victims of a murder, with the crime impacting on the lives of those who knew and loved the murdered person, but perhaps the impact of murder is less than the impact of rape upon the actual victim - after all, one is left alive to suffer while the other feels nothing at all, being dead. Having said that, as much as society does not want people to rape, it wants them to kill even less...

Sorry, I'm rambling... Summary, both are bad, its impossible to say which is worse, and its a waste of time to try and apply a hierarchy to suffering.

no, thank you. this is the perfect sort of response i had hoped to hear
you manage to put into words all there different aspects of both sides of the argument

i completely agree with you that society treats rape victims like s**t; its absolutely disgusting and its something that needs to be sorted out
its almost a double-standard when you compare it with rape

Shade

16,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Devin 200
  • Punk Patrol 250
-Kali-La-Fae-
Whenever this thread comes around I always say the same thing that rape is infinitely worse.

Facing death doesn't frighten me. But the idea of someone taking away all power, control, and feeling away from you does.

thank you, this is exactly how i feel
that feeling of helplessness and suffering horrifies me, not only during the event but the though trying to recover afterwards.
i feel like i wouldnt be strong enough to be able to help myself

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Boxed Yaoi
I AM R U

no, thank you. this is the perfect sort of response i had hoped to hear
you manage to put into words all there different aspects of both sides of the argument

i completely agree with you that society treats rape victims like s**t; its absolutely disgusting and its something that needs to be sorted out
its almost a double-standard when you compare it with rape

No problem, glad that all made sense...

Astral Fairy

11,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
Boxed Yaoi
-Kali-La-Fae-

thank you, this is exactly how i feel
that feeling of helplessness and suffering horrifies me, not only during the event but the though trying to recover afterwards.
i feel like i wouldnt be strong enough to be able to help myself

While I can obviously see how someone would feel the other way. Because lets face it I don't WANT to die. My pride and my self would be hard pressed to recover.

Do you suffer forever and chance you'll recover or not try at all?
That is the question one must ask themselves I suppose.

Depends on whether or not you are talking with a feminist.

Shade

16,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Devin 200
  • Punk Patrol 250
Political Extremism
Depends on whether or not you are talking with a feminist.

i dont see how feminism can factor into this argument?
i am a feminist but how does that affect my viewpoint?
I suppose that remark is because modern feminism tends to be about female empowerment, and rape unlike murder has clear cut connotations about power, power being wielded by males in particular.

As such feminists tend to imagine rape is a worse crime than murder, but that's obviously wrong from the victims standpoint. It might be hard to recover from a rape but you don't recover from death. Life is the most valuable possession a person has.

Familiar Friend

i believe in an after life

so i'm going with rape

depends on how painful the murder is though

but then again, i'm not really sure if there is an after life...so maybe murder is worse....

i don't really understand our purpose here though

i think this life is game we just are playing

it also depends on how bad the rape is too

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out