Welcome to Gaia! ::

I come form a military background. My dad is still serving and my fiance just got out two months ago. Most of my friends are military and same for my fiances and I'm proud of to say none of my friends nor his has been sexually abused.

One of the problems are that women in the military have a bad reputation. They are known to be sluts and sleep around, which lessens the respect their fellow soldiers have for them. This leads to seeing them less as a person and as an object. The second problem is that soldiers want to look out for each other and would be reluctant to step up. A good soldier is a good soldier and it's hard for many others to recognize that you can be a good soldier and a horrible person.The third problem is that the military branches don't want to draw attention to this, so they cover up the stories quickly. Similar to how the police force covers up stories about policemen drinking and driving. They want to handle it internally without going to courts.
As I read her comments, I initially agreed in the beginning.

I mean really, did anyone think that when you place women in what has historically been a boys club that operates with little on the ground oversight and, until recently, wasnt really vetted by congress, that this wasnt going to happen? Its like leaving a fat kid at home with a jar of cookies and no other food and then wondering where the cookies went.

The military has, for a long time, been a branch of government that gets too little over-sight for my taste, and rape is a sad, though obvious, result when you leave any large branch with alot of latitude and limited oversight.

She lost me when she argued that there are too many support services. Her argument is a complete false dichotomy and her weak chortle at the end of the clip is blood in the water.
Quote:
"These women are so fffuuckinnngg naive. If you join the army, what the fffuuccckkk did you expect to do there? Your only job really is to relieve pressure. In a testosterone driven institution, like an army, being a female, of any animal or breed, you will get it, thats a fact of nature. Its how males work. Hell I have seen men do it into a tree. Men are driven to insanity unless the pressure is relieved. I find them very dumb to think this was rape. It was their duty to help those men. Former marine." - An example from the comments section from CNN.

This mindset is the problem Men's Rights Advocates should be fighting against.
Queen Shining Heaven
itsmeagainsrsly
People trained to do terrible things to other people are doing terrible things to other people. Shocking.

So, someone trained to fight in the military and kill enemy combatants will automatically become a rapist? Is that logical?

People trained to see their opposition as non-persons (not subject to legal protections that would be extended to other social participants) aren't going to automatically become rapists, no, but one cannot deny that the ability to view those against them as non-persons will factor into their ability to rationalise horrific treatment of others.

And no, I don't think this means the military "makes rapists". I think it's an environment where dehumanisation is common and in some cases actively encouraged, making it a ripe social arena for rape apologism.
Ivan Isaacss
The rose in spring
Rape cant always be avoided, but the unwanted sexual advance of an attacker can almost always be defended against. The US Army only provides about four weekends of hand to hand in training. If someone knows a practical martial art, they are already at an advantage.

While that idea has been the business model for pretty much all self defence classes ever its hardly the solution.

It has been for me.
Queen Shining Heaven
itsmeagainsrsly
People trained to do terrible things to other people are doing terrible things to other people. Shocking.

So, someone trained to fight in the military and kill enemy combatants will automatically become a rapist? Is that logical?

why is everything an absurd extreme to you people? Do you not understand how environmental influences can have an effect in this way, or are you too ******** stupid to perceive that which isn't explicitly overt?
The rose in spring
Ivan Isaacss
The rose in spring
Rape cant always be avoided, but the unwanted sexual advance of an attacker can almost always be defended against. The US Army only provides about four weekends of hand to hand in training. If someone knows a practical martial art, they are already at an advantage.

While that idea has been the business model for pretty much all self defence classes ever its hardly the solution.

It has been for me.

So? Are you of the opinion that anyone who cannot defend themselves deserves to be assaulted or something?

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The rose in spring
Ivan Isaacss
The rose in spring

It has been for me.

and you don't see the flaw in assuming it'll work in an environment where everyone's armed?
Keltoi Samurai
The rose in spring

the Army also provides everyone with guns. that doesnt seem to stop the rapes, so why would expanded hand-to-hand training?

Usually guns in the military are stowed away Im the armory. The exception is the beretta while though practical if I slept with it under my pillow, it is unavailable until deployment.
Blind Guardian the 2nd
The rose in spring
Ivan Isaacss
The rose in spring

It has been for me.

So? Are you of the opinion that anyone who cannot defend themselves deserves to be assaulted or something?

Never have I said they deserved it. All I am saying is that if someone is better protected, they are less likely to get raped.
Keltoi Samurai
The rose in spring
Ivan Isaacss
The rose in spring

It has been for me.

and you dont see the flaw in assuming itll work in an environment where everyones armed?

First off, I would rather be six feet under than raped. Secondly nobody is going to pull the trigger just so they get strapped to a table and put to sleep

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
The Sky Does Not Bow
Queen Shining Heaven
itsmeagainsrsly

why is everything an absurd extreme to you people? Do you not understand how environmental influences can have an effect in this way, or are you too ******** stupid to perceive that which isn't explicitly overt?

Wait, I'm not exactly sure what you're saying.
There's definitely a garbage-in, garbage-out problem. Prior to the Korean War, the United States adhered to the best traditions of Enlightenment moral rationalism and heeded George Washington's warning to avoid unnecessary foreign entanglements. If someone signed up for the military, he knew that he would only be fighting when it was necessary to defend America and her freedoms. So he knew (a) he was unlikely to be in much personal danger himself (America doesn't come under military threat every day, or even every decade), and (b) if he was in going into combat, it was as part of a clearly defined mission with clearly defined objectives, benefits, and justifications.

Since that point, America started fighting a series of nebulous wars with vague geopolitical rationales... to install allied regimes in geographically central areas, to prop up capitalist elites, and just generally to show everyone else in the world that if you ******** with us, there are consequences. Since opportunities to fight these sorts of wars come up frequently, we fight more of them, and when we do fight them the fight is more or less constant (because propping up regimes and social structures is harder than defending one country from another country's army). In WWII, iirc, the average soldier was in a combat engagement once every 200 days; in Vietnam, he was in an engagement once every 14 days.

When American foreign policy was a beacon to the democratic world, the most noble and intelligent people in the USA were eager to serve their country. Since that policy has become a cynical calculation about how many warm bodies we need to turn to bloody pulp to gain a certain amount of power, only the insane, the antisocial, and the belligerent see the military as a vocation that they would be at home in. During the Iraq War the Army even had to drop their IQ standards and educational requirements.

Greedy Consumer

maybe distributing dirty magazines can lower the amount of rapes? lol And leaving boxes of tissues in the rest rooms xd

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff