Welcome to Gaia! ::

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/14/health/military-sexual-assaults-personality-disorder

The rape of women in the military is a fairly controversial topic, though it shouldn't be. The average person, as far as I know, is opposed to rape because it is a vile action. However, something to do with the military makes people lose any reason they had and go, to use the industry term, full-a*****e.

Take for instance, Liz Trotta. She appeared on Fox News ranting about how women who join the military are begging to be raped, men are raping machines so it's not their fault, and that women there get what's coming to them. The video footage shows that the Fox host was even bothered by her out-and-out monstrous argument.

We hear these kinds of arguments occasionally, but really, I have to wonder. Why is it that people, for some reason, feel the need to defend men in the military by calling all of them rape monsters incapable of controlling their urges? To me, that's an insult to the uniform.

Unfortunately, the uniform does little to protect people under its purview. Women are getting discharged for medical reasons following rapes instead of the military solving the problem. The problem being allowing assholes in. Men aren't all rapists. Men can in fact control themselves. Why then is there a laissez faire attitude towards it from HighComm? It seems like they, in effect, propagate stories about their soldiers being loose cannons.

Now, if I was trying to maintain the reputation of the US military, I wouldn't be excusing the actions of the bad apples. It's counterproductive. There are good men and women fighting for the country and we have assholes being apologists for assholes in the military, which stains the uniform for every member.

"These women are so fffuuckinnngg naive. If you join the army, what the fffuuccckkk did you expect to do there? Your only job really is to relieve pressure. In a testosterone driven institution, like an army, being a female, of any animal or breed, you will get it, thats a fact of nature. Its how males work. Hell I have seen men do it into a tree. Men are driven to insanity unless the pressure is relieved. I find them very dumb to think this was rape. It was their duty to help those men. Former marine." - An example from the comments section from CNN.

Do I think men think this?

No, I think a few ******** up guys do. Why do y'all suppose the military is sticking up for them and not for the actual soldiers who represent the US? Is it because the problem is more widespread than we think and to handle it would hurt our deployment numbers? That seems impossible to me, but maybe. Any vets or people on leave who can add commentary?

Fashionable Fatcat

7,200 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
People in the military are immune to any sort of criticism because dey fight n' die fer yer freedums errday.
CumFilledCinnabon
People in the military are immune to any sort of criticism because dey fight n' die fer yer freedums errday.
Some of the comments followed that vein, but the problem is that people who fight and die for our freedoms are being attacked and nothing's being done about it except having the victims be kicked out of service.

Last I checked, that's not the way you treat heroes.
People trained to do terrible things to other people are doing terrible things to other people. Shocking.
itsmeagainsrsly
People trained to do terrible things to other people are doing terrible things to other people. Shocking.
Of course, that explains why most soldiers don't do it, amirite.

It's more of the fact that rapists end up in the military, not so much that the military makes people rapists.

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
I think women in the military, have as much likely hood of being raped, as a woman that works in a big company has of being raped in a parking garage. More "testosterone" doesn't necessarily mean a higher chance of rape possibility. That guest on Fox News is just ignorant. I mean, there are soldiers that are fathers of daughters, brothers of sisters, husbands of wives. To have the mindset that people in a predominantly male thing such as the military, are just aching to rape someone is absurd. Especially since most people in the military have loved ones that happen to be female. Do you think an average joe/soldier whose married, has a daughter, and a mother he loves, would be likely to rape a fellow female soldier?

I don't disagree that there happen to be rapist in the military. But the likely hood of being raped in the military is the same as, well, most anywhere.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
itsmeagainsrsly

So, someone trained to fight in the military and kill enemy combatants will automatically become a rapist? Is that logical?
Love Muffin88
I think women in the military, have as much likely hood of being raped, as a woman that works in a big company has of being raped in a parking garage. More "testosterone" doesn't necessarily mean a higher chance of rape possibility. That guest on Fox News is just ignorant. I mean, there are soldiers that are fathers of daughters, brothers of sisters, husbands of wives. To have the mindset that people in a predominantly male thing such as the military, are just aching to rape someone is absurd. Especially since most people in the military have loved ones that happen to be female. Do you think an average joe/soldier whose married, has a daughter, and a mother he loves, would be likely to rape a fellow female soldier?

I don't disagree that there happen to be rapist in the military. But the likely hood of being raped in the military is the same as, well, most anywhere.
The controversy is more about the fact that there is no accountability. Male soldiers are pretty much given a pass on it. And I agree that it's a very small percentage who do, but again that's not the problem. The problem is that skeazebags do it and think it's okay because they don't get punished for it; their victims do.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Liz Trotta is obviously a disgusting human being. No one deserves rape, and a woman who joins the armed forces is certainly not asking to be raped. The fact that the military sweeps these kind of things under the rug only fuels the anti-military sentiments which are growing amongst some people. They need to act with the honor that is expected of their position, and place these rapists amongst them on trial for assaulting their fellow colleagues
Queen Shining Heaven
itsmeagainsrsly

So, someone trained to fight in the military and kill enemy combatants will automatically become a rapist? Is that logical?

No, but then again, I was under the impression that killing other people or severely injuring them, you know, the basics of military training, was also bad.
Yeah I've heard of that, and that b***h deserves the ******** raped out of her.

The day she gets raped she'll ******** understand, and since it is sooooo god damned common. Rape is so ridiculously common, who the hell do you know that hasn't been raped? I can name like two people, personally, and it might just be they've never mentioned it.

I don't get why we have to justify rape and make it okay. Oh and blame sluts, sluts deserve it
Ghosty Pie

The day she gets raped she'll ******** understand, and since it is sooooo god damned common. Rape is so ridiculously common, who the hell do you know that hasn't been raped? I can name like two people, personally, and it might just be they've never mentioned it.

I don't get why we have to justify rape and make it okay. Oh and blame sluts, sluts deserve it
No one deserves to get raped, not even her.
The Living Force
Ghosty Pie

The whiny men who go up and preach that 'oh you shouldn't have been wearing that, you were asking for it' they deserve it, to see what it's like. lovely lovely
Ghosty Pie
The Living Force
Ghosty Pie

The whiny men who go up and preach that 'oh you shouldn't have been wearing that, you were asking for it' they deserve it, to see what it's like. lovely lovely
Their ignorance needs to be rectified, yes. That does not mean we have to stoop to their level to do it.
The Living Force
Ghosty Pie
The Living Force
Ghosty Pie

Their ignorance needs to be rectified, yes. That does not mean we have to stoop to their level to do it.

Has reason really worked with these type of people?

Hell, they're probably justifying it just so they can do the act themselves.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff