Racist 0.14492753623188 14.5% [ 10 ]
Preference 0.43478260869565 43.5% [ 30 ]
Both 0.21739130434783 21.7% [ 15 ]
Neither 0.10144927536232 10.1% [ 7 ]
Other (explain) 0.10144927536232 10.1% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 69 ]
1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 >

Greedy Genius

Do you consider dating one race exclusively, or refusing to date one or more races, racist or personal preference? Why?
It is racist that I prefer white women to black yes, but only literally. I would not say that it is the same level of racism that would concern me oh... I don't know, demanding that my cutlery be replaced because they were last used by *down the nose peer* a negro.

Dapper Phantom

I think it depends on how you go about it... And why. Like you can simply find only one race sexually attractive to you. That is a preference. But if you're bashing other races, saying they are ugly or something, I would consider that racist. It's different than saying, "Meh, not my cup of tea."

For the longest time, I wasn't attracted to Latinos. Like as a race. As I started crushing on Latino people and feeling BAD about it, I realized that I had some latent racist issues going on, since in my community everyone hates the "Dirty Mexicans" who steal/cheat/are lazy/are all illegals/etc. It took a lot of time to realize that I actually find a lot of Latino people to be really sexy, especially if they have a warm skin tone.

I also used to "not be into black people". Like I was sure I only wanted to date white people. Wasn't into "asians" either. When I realized I was categorizing people into really broad generalizations, as well as just being closedminded about it, I realized I had this weird white favoritism in my sexual preferences. Once I realized that I have found that I find all sorts of people attractive. It's had a somewhat reverse effect where if someone looks really foreign I find them very pleasing to look at. Including white people from other parts of the world (so it's not just a color thing).

Inb4 someone calls me racist.
4laugh

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Member 100
Black Moral Inc
Do you consider dating one race exclusively, or refusing to date one or more races, racist or personal preference? Why?

Both, really. It is perfectly possible to be biologically not attracted to every single race, and to be drawn to certain qualities - ie, skin tone, hair colour, eye colour, build and so on. So I'd say that it is preference, and only becomes racism when you make it known that their race is the specific reason why you don't like them. I've never been attracted to people of other races/ethnicities, not yet in my only 21 years of life. It is not something that I can help, as I am quite capable of being close friends with them - I just can't force myself into magically suddenly crushing for one. Not saying that it can't happen, but given how I'm currently in a relationship, it's not likely at all. So while it is racism in a way so far as excluding someone based on skin colour, it is more rooted heavily in personal biologically-driven preference, than in racism for the point of being unpleasant/rude.

Admittedly this is from a blog, but:
Quote:
If you find yourself only attracted to white people, does that make you racist? It’s not really a choice, after all, it’s just who you happen to find sexually appealing. Do we call gays sexist towards women, and lesbians sexist towards men?

Here's another: source
Quote:
I had a recent conversation with a female associate – a white woman – who admitted to me that the life partner she was in search of must be a white dude.

As a black male, I had that natural, visceral “why he gotta be a WHITE dude??” response. That type of gut reaction, I think, is to be expected when directed from someone of the majority race to someone of a historically oppressed race. This woman must be a bona fide racist, right. She’d put the first Negro she caught in her net on the spit to feed her dogs if there were no consequences, true?

Fortunately for me, I’m able to move past the emotion to reach the nuances, and I’m not willing to condemn her as a racist scalliwag for her connubial preferences without digging a bit deeper.

Physical attraction is very subjective, and I don’t think it’s much of a coincidence that, by and large, we’re attracted to our own kind. Nor do I think it’s a testament to racism. For example, many of you are not attracted to anyone that’s not a black man, for many reasons. Does that necessarily make you a bigot? Methinks not.

Tl'dr: I think it is more inclined to preference, and only becomes racism when a sense of superiority is brought into play. You can't help what you are, or are not, attracted to and yes, that includes someone's race as well although there will always be the occasional exception to the rule.

Faemint's Wife

Distinct Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
For myself? Its personal preference.

I find a lot of black women to be repulsive in their looks and the way they act. That is not to say, however, that I've not found black women whom I'd hook up with. It just seems like they are a dime a dozen.

1,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
Well, I have a sister who is only into whites, Asians, and Latinos. She's both black and white, and we are from a very diverse family. Our family has never encouraged us to believe that any one ethnicity is lower than the other. We do live in a pretty intolerant town, though. That's obvious when we get stares for being an ethnically mixed family. She is not a racist. It's just what she is sexually attracted to. She has dated some really nice black guys, but it never lasted long. For as long as I can remember she's always crushed on the guys I listed in the first sentence. The people who are the most racist are the black guys who get butthurt that she's dating someone who isn't black and say stupid s**t like she's dating her slave master. ******** hypocrites date white girls all the time.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Never understood blanket judgments against an entire ethnicity of people. Sure, we all have our preferences but I'm well aware there are attractive people of all races and like to think I'd be open to a relationship with anyone regardless of race.
Sanguarian Muffin
For myself? Its personal preference.

I find a lot of black women to be repulsive in their looks and the way they act. That is not to say, however, that I've not found black women whom I'd hook up with. It just seems like they are a dime a dozen.

This phrase works differently than you think it does.

Anyway, it's not prejudice to not date someone you don't find attractive, certainly, and you can find someone attractive or not for whatever reason you want. You can find a certain skin tone unappealing. That's fine. It would be bigotry to assume that people from a certain group are going to act a certain way, and not want to date them on account of that.

Eloquent Streaker

Preferring members of your own race to those of other races is not racism. Saying you will only date members of your own race, or won't date members of a certain race, is racism.

Just as an example, I won't date a lot of black girls- there are certain physical features common among black girls that I don't find attractive, and a lot of the black girls in my city are living, breathing stereotypes. It's not that I WON'T date a black girl, I just prefer white, Asian and Latina girls over them (my last girlfriend was Mexican with a little Japanese), but if a kind black girl with decent looks (my standard of beauty is fairly low) was willing to be my girlfriend, I wouldn't pass her up.

My younger brother, on the other hand, will not date a black girl, period. He goes to a high school that's predominantly black, and he seriously thinks that all black girls are the stereotypical "ghetto b***h with an attitude". And he acts like that attitude towards them is justified just because all the black girls at his high school act like cunts.
A lot of whites seem to really have issues with black women. I find this interesting because the memes that get repeated about this bear so much resemblance to those that were previously applied to other fringe groups in Western civilization; you see almost the exact same stereotypes going back about Viking, Germanic, Celtic women; they're dominant, they're overpowering, they're fierce and assertive and essentially man-like. It seems to be a pretty common tactic to try and represent how uncivilized and disordered a hostile group is, that their women behave like men. Contrast of course with the ideal Western woman, who is meek and docile and basically child-like in a way that gets creepy if you dwell on it too long.

Not that different cultures, of course, don't have different ideas of gender roles etc., it's just interesting to see such similarities used repeatedly as an attempt to discredit a non-Western group.

My preferences are a bit all over the place, but there's no particular race I'm not into.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
I'm willing to date a guy regardless of race, as a guy can be hot regardless of race. emotion_awesome

I don't see what's wrong with having a particular "preference". After all, if you think dark skin or black hair or blue eyes are attractive, then you'll most likely find yourselves attracted to members of races that have the traits you like. Where it crosses into racism, though, is when you act like members of the other races are outright ugly or inferior and can't even bring yourself to date one. I mean, I find skinny, dark-skinned guys with black hair SUPER attractive, ('specially Indian guys. cat_cool ) but I'm not closed-minded to dating other guys. Shoot, I've got a HUGE fangirl crush on pudgy, pale Linkara. emotion_kirakira He has a good sense of humor, he likes comics, and he's a feminist. (that last one in particular is a HUGE turn-on for me) My creepy fangirl crush looked past his appearances.
I will date anyone but Black or Mexican but I have friends that are Black and Mexican. Dose that make me a racist? People spend to much time looking for racism in everything.

Hallowed Hunter

Black Moral Inc

Considering the wide range of appearance even within races, it hard to say. It's racist if you don't date someone of a particular race simply because the are from that particular race.
But if you simply don't find certain features attractive, then what can you do? It's hardly racist then.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
I'd say it could be both racist and preference.
My reasoning is that, from experience mind you, when someone says that they prefer to date this race over that race, it's usually stereotypically driven.
razorsarz
I will date anyone but Black or Mexican but I have friends that are Black and Mexican. Dose that make me a racist? People spend to much time looking for racism in everything.
Strom Thurmond had black friends, so that nullified his being a staunch segregationist and Jim Crow supporter, too.

Don't you worry none, Razorsarz, yer nawt racist a bit.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff