Welcome to Gaia! ::

The20
Product Of Waste
I'll just leave this here lol
"Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack"
Quote:
Through work to bring materials from women's studies into the rest of the curriculum, I have often noticed men's unwillingness to grant that they are overprivileged, even though they may grant that women are disadvantaged. They may say they will work to women's statues, in the society, the university, or the curriculum, but they can't or won't support the idea of lessening men's. Denials that amount to taboos surround the subject of advantages that men gain from women's disadvantages. These denials protect male privilege from being fully acknowledged, lessened, or ended.
So they want to bring everyone on the same level by improving someone else situation instead of worsening their own? Oh the humanity! Best get rid of the lot, before their ideas spread.

Presumably the contention is that it's a zero-sum game - raising someone's status is equivalent to lowering someone else's status, because status (in terms of privilege) is relative.
Lucky~9~Lives
The20
Product Of Waste
I'll just leave this here lol
"Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack"
Quote:
Through work to bring materials from women's studies into the rest of the curriculum, I have often noticed men's unwillingness to grant that they are overprivileged, even though they may grant that women are disadvantaged. They may say they will work to women's statues, in the society, the university, or the curriculum, but they can't or won't support the idea of lessening men's. Denials that amount to taboos surround the subject of advantages that men gain from women's disadvantages. These denials protect male privilege from being fully acknowledged, lessened, or ended.
So they want to bring everyone on the same level by improving someone else situation instead of worsening their own? Oh the humanity! Best get rid of the lot, before their ideas spread.

Presumably the contention is that it's a zero-sum game - raising someone's status is equivalent to lowering someone else's status, because status (in terms of privilege) is relative.
To be certain about this i'd like to know what the alleged privileges of men are. I've heard something along the lines that one privilege is that men don't need to worry about running around outside late at night.
Are you sure about this zero sum game?
The20
To be certain about this i'd like to know what the alleged privileges of men are.

Male–female income disparity in the United States

P.S. Kudos to The20 for fixing the link.
- heart
Lucky~9~Lives
The20
To be certain about this i'd like to know what the alleged privileges of men are.

I took the liberty of correcting the link in my reply.
Anyways, is that the only issue? So why, pray tell, should we get men down to the level of women instead of raising women to the level of men when it comes to income?

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
The20
Lucky~9~Lives
The20

Anyways, is that the only issue? So why, pray tell, should we get men down to the level of women instead of raising women to the level of men when it comes to income?
Probably cause It ain't economically viable
The20
Lucky~9~Lives
The20

Anyways, is that the only issue?

Well, I didn't investigate the references.
- sweatdrop

The20
So why, pray tell, should we get men down to the level of women instead of raising women to the level of men when it comes to income?

As before: raising one person's income is equivalent to lowering another's; wealth is relative.
Lucky~9~Lives
The20
Lucky~9~Lives
The20

- sweatdrop

The20
So why, pray tell, should we get men down to the level of women instead of raising women to the level of men when it comes to income?

As before: raising one person's income is equivalent to lowering another's; wealth is relative.
That only makes sense if you completely ignore the economy and that most goods, rent, insurance, etc. will still cost the same tomorrow.
The20
Lucky~9~Lives
The20
Lucky~9~Lives
The20

- sweatdrop

The20

That only makes sense if you completely ignore the economy and that most goods, rent, insurance, etc. will still cost the same tomorrow.

You don't think an increase in income for half the population will have an effect on prices?
Lucky~9~Lives
The20
Lucky~9~Lives
The20

- sweatdrop

The20

You don't think an increase in income for half the population will have an effect on prices?
Most of the goods aren't even produced in the US, so no. Maybe fast food would get more expensive, but i don't really care.

Noob

I don't believe in "reverse racism" because i think all racists acts (against any culture or race) is "racism".
the definition of racism isnt "people being discriminatory torwards poc" so i dont see the point in people claiming that it only happens to people of color. following that sort of logic, wouldnt internalized racism not exist? i mean, how can an opressed group opress itself!
This is coming from a mexican person(born and raised here yay) I've have experienced racism and believe me not just from "white people" but from other PoC,heck, even people from my own culture!!
sorry about my english and my lack of knowledge
This all seems kind of obvious.

Does racism against white people or against people who look white exist? Of course it does.

Are there serious cases where it causes real harm? Yep.

And while I condemn it when I see it, I just can't help feel that when I talk about it to non-white people, I'm preaching to the choir or that I'm talking about some one-off act here or there when many non-white people experience far more severe racism on a daily basis.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff