Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fanatical Zealot

Kaltros
Suicidesoldier#1
Even if there was another subspecies, say a Neanderthal, or bigfoot, or chupacabra, or werewolf, the fact of the matter is, it would not be a race, because race is non-existent outside of social perceptions.

You are a strong man of faith, I see. "I believe in the god Equality, damn it, and I will twist any facts that come my way so they fit my faith in Equality!"

Quote:

It is in fact, a social construct. Not to mention, a higher incidence of a handful of genes which have a relatively minor impact (it still doesn't explain the full adjustment to high altitudes, we're talking a 20% boost all combined, and the himilayan mountain range has 2/3rd's less oxygen than sea level), in a single group of people, with these being the most extreme variation in existence, does not confirm that races exist, or that blacks and whites and whatnot are so different, even if we want to say the 3 genes present in a handful of Tibetan people makes those specific Tibetans (not even everyone in that culture has the genes) a new "race". So, it's a completely worthless argument. Essentially, even if we consider them a new race, the rest of humanity would still all be so close together as to render minor cosmetic differences moot.

.5/10, troll harder, plz. xp

Save your sermons for a church, dude. Keep your religion out of my face.

Quote:

Racism really isn't funny, pick something better, like whales or aliens. NUKE THE WHALES! Always trying to steal our jobs, eating our trash; THAT'S OUR TRASH GOD DAMN IT! scream

Almost anything is better.

This is not your church or holy site, dude, so take your faith somewhere else.

lol xp

It seems you believe in the inequality God, where things must make things inequal, now matter how trivial or insignificant, no matter how isolated and small.
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaltros
Suicidesoldier#1
Even if there was another subspecies, say a Neanderthal, or bigfoot, or chupacabra, or werewolf, the fact of the matter is, it would not be a race, because race is non-existent outside of social perceptions.

You are a strong man of faith, I see. "I believe in the god Equality, damn it, and I will twist any facts that come my way so they fit my faith in Equality!"

Quote:

It is in fact, a social construct. Not to mention, a higher incidence of a handful of genes which have a relatively minor impact (it still doesn't explain the full adjustment to high altitudes, we're talking a 20% boost all combined, and the himilayan mountain range has 2/3rd's less oxygen than sea level), in a single group of people, with these being the most extreme variation in existence, does not confirm that races exist, or that blacks and whites and whatnot are so different, even if we want to say the 3 genes present in a handful of Tibetan people makes those specific Tibetans (not even everyone in that culture has the genes) a new "race". So, it's a completely worthless argument. Essentially, even if we consider them a new race, the rest of humanity would still all be so close together as to render minor cosmetic differences moot.

Quote:

Racism really isn't funny, pick something better, like whales or aliens. NUKE THE WHALES! Always trying to steal our jobs, eating our trash; THAT'S OUR TRASH GOD DAMN IT! scream

lol xp

It seems you believe in the inequality God, where things must make things inequal, now matter how trivial or insignificant, no matter how isolated and small.

I just believe my lying eyes, actually. You're the man of faith. I pay attention to the world.

Is Shaquille O'neal taller than average? Oh, that's right, in your bizarro world everybody is equal. So all those super-tall basketball players are just an optical illusion. Stephen Hawking isn't any better at physics than my dog, either, according to you. And so on for all those 'trivial' differences that make the world go round.

Fanatical Zealot

Kaltros
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaltros
Suicidesoldier#1

Quote:

Quote:

lol xp

I just believe my lying eyes, actually. You're the man of faith. I pay attention to the world.

Is Shaquille O'neal taller than average? Oh, that's right, in your bizarro world everybody is equal. So all those super-tall basketball players are just an optical illusion. Stephen Hawking isn't any better at physics than my dog, either, according to you. And so on for all those 'trivial' differences that make the world go round.

Shaq being 7 foot tall doesn't make him a race; Stephen Hawking isn't a race.

I never said all people are equally good at everything, although I do believe all people are equal in value. I also said, that doesn't make them a new race. So, it's kind of irrelevant.
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaltros
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaltros
Suicidesoldier#1

Quote:

Quote:

lol xp

I never said all people are equally good at everything, although I do believe all people are equal in value. I also said, that doesn't make them a new race. So, it's kind of irrelevant.

You can't be half-equal. You're either totally equal, or you're not equal. There's no middle ground.

So either Shaq is taller, Stephen Hawking is smarter, or Equality reigns and no one is different from anyone else.

Or do you really believe that Person A is only half equal with Person B, who is only a quarter equal with Person C?

Fanatical Zealot

Kaltros
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaltros
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaltros

lol xp

You can't be half-equal. You're either totally equal, or you're not equal. There's no middle ground.

So either Shaq is taller, Stephen Hawking is smarter, or Equality reigns and no one is different from anyone else.

Or do you really believe that Person A is only half equal with Person B, who is only a quarter equal with Person C?

rolleyes

All people are inherently equal, that doesn't mean they're equally good at all things or all the same. Being the same =/= equal. A soldier who does accounting work and a soldier who handles logistics are equal to one another, even if their job is different. A center who hands the quarterback the football is just as important as the running back, so on and so forth; you couldn't accomplish the objective without each other.

And regardless, all people possess inherent value, whether or not their usefulness or ability in that particular venture is the same.
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaltros
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaltros
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaltros

lol xp

rolleyes

All people are inherently equal, that doesn't mean they're equally good at all things or all the same. Being the same =/= equal. A soldier who does accounting work and a soldier who handles logistics are equal to one another, even if their job is different. A center who hands the quarterback the football is just as important as the running back, so on and so forth; you couldn't accomplish the objective without each other.

And regardless, all people possess inherent value, whether or not their usefulness or ability in that particular venture is the same.

And how can people have equal value when they have unequal abilities? Is a brilliant general no more valuable than a foot soldier? Would it be an equal loss whether you lost the soldier or the general?

Fanatical Zealot

Kaltros
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaltros
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaltros

rolleyes

And how can people have equal value when they have unequal abilities? Is a brilliant general no more valuable than a foot soldier? Would it be an equal loss whether you lost the soldier or the general?

Of course; if you lose anyone of your army, it's a pretty horrendous problem; casualties are unacceptable, even if they are inevitable.

To try to explain, using an example I suppose, DD boobs could be considered equal to a 7.5 inch p***s in terms of attractiveness, but they would not be the same. Similarly, all people are equal, even if they are not the same. Some people may not be the same in all qualities, and some may even be better at certain things, but that doesn't mean that a person is worth more than another, even if specific attributes are considered more important for specific objectives. Would a scientist who is going to cure a major disease be worth "more" than a general who can help win a war, than a physicist who discovers the higgs boson? You can't really make comparisons like that, everyone has their role, everyone does what they do, and as people, they are equal, even if they are not equal in ability.

Or maybe, on a scale of 1 to 10, how important do you think singing is? How important does that make a person that they can sing? Compared to say, performing complex quantum mechanics?

In the grande scheme of things, to the survival and continuation of our species? You could say, well, quantum physics is more important to understand and be good at, but the general public doesn't tend to think so, considering that singers get more funding than quantum physicists. What you consider a more desirable attribute, today, in a person, does not necessarily equate to what is the most desirable. You may find singing or height to be important, but when people can be biomechanically engineered to be as tall as a human body allows, it won't really matter if a person was born being particularly tall or not. Or when floating devices keep us levitating all the time, instead of needing to stand at all. What you perceive as being important, isn't necessarily important, it's all about perception, from which standpoint you determine it. Thus, all people are equal, even if you find an attribute more desirable in another.
Suicidesoldier#1
What you perceive as being important, isn't necessarily important, it's all about perception, from which standpoint you determine it. Thus, all people are equal, even if you find an attribute more desirable in another.

So you think your mind has the power to change reality, just by thinking? You consider yourself a kind of sorcerer?

Fanatical Zealot

Kaltros
Suicidesoldier#1
What you perceive as being important, isn't necessarily important, it's all about perception, from which standpoint you determine it. Thus, all people are equal, even if you find an attribute more desirable in another.

So you think your mind has the power to change reality, just by thinking? You consider yourself a kind of sorcerer?
What makes something important or not is all a matter of perception. I can't change how good a person is at something, just how important I think it is. Being the best person in the world at a certain 1980's computer game may be an undeniable objective fact, but it's importance is debatable. You don't really change reality, you only change what you consider important. To the video gamer who's about to win a contest, it may be the most important attribute he could have. To a fashionista, fashion may be important; to a physicist, maybe not.

These are not that complex of concepts, I hope you realize.

Fanatical Zealot

SirPuzzle
Kaltros
Suicidesoldier#1

I think what he's trying to say is that our judgment of what is significant versus what is not is a matter of subjective opinion.

Which he's correct on.

The thing is though is, well yeah, significance is based upon a judgment call and that judgment call depends on context.

He cited the fact that humans are 99.9% similar to each other. The problem though is he then goes on to assume that that .1% can only account for "minor differences". But at the same time he's saying importance/significance is subjective.

Who's to say that that 0.1% difference cannot account for very significant differences in the way people interact in a modern world? Furthermore another problem with this "Humans are 99.9% identical" is that humans are 99.9% similar in genotype, that doesn't mean that they are 99.9% identical in terms of phenotype traits. Genes/alleles do not have a linear impact on people's characteristics. Some genes/alleles have little to no noticeable impact on the characteristics of a person (or animal), some genes/alleles will create a noticeable trait in a person/animal.

So for example speaking of racial IQ differences, who's to say that that 0.1% difference cannot account for the differences in average IQ we observe in the races? Now of course people can argue over whether IQ is "intelligence" or not, but I think people are deluding themselves if they argue that what IQ does measure is not significant in our modern economy. How competent people are in reading comprehension, abstract reasoning, spacial reasoning, math ability, etc, etc is very important in how well they end up doing in a modern 1st world country.

Also notice how none of these arguments are at all connected to whether race is socially constructed or not, that is a red herring to the discussion. Even if race is a totally socially constructed concept that is not biologically useful, that doesn't mean that therefore there cannot be differences in average intelligence that correlate with people's skin color.

I personally have no horse in the race over whether race is a social construct or not, because as I've explained race being socially constructed does not necessarily have an impact on whether observed racial IQ differences are 100% due to environment or partially due to genetic differences in population groups. However I'm not on board with the "Race is a social construct" argument because I'm not a scientist, and there's a lot of political pressure for population geneticists to say race is made up.

Furthermore there's already information out there that is suggesting that race may actually be a biologically useful concept. I'm not saying that there's proof or anything close to that level of evidence, all I'm saying is there is data (statistical clustering of people based upon their alleles) that is to an extent pointing towards that.

Bottom line is though I'm not a population geneticist, so I'm not going to talk as if I am one and pretend that I know that race is a useful concept or it isn't. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I don't know, I'm going to wait and see when population geneticists gather more information/data over the years and see what they have to say. However I'm not going to listen to the ideologues who obviously are partaking in motivated reasoning to conclude that race is socially constructed.

Race *is* socially constructed. Skin color and I.Q. are not correlated, for obvious reasons, because 2 genes are responsible for skin color; in fact, if we were going to say, say, Africans had an average lower I.Q. due to genetics, if an African person breed with say, a European, and then the offspring got the intelligence traits but kept the skin color, then it would be an example of skin color being irrelevant.

Race has no scientific definition. Subspecies, maybe, different genes present in humans, sure. But race is literally non-existent in the first place. If you choose to define race to be 2 genes, that is what determines pigment levels in skin, so be it, but realize that also doesn't include things like intelligence.

As far as it goes, there's not really anything in that .1% to make a considerable difference; starfish and sea sponges lack brains, insect brains are far less complex than human brains. But because humans are so similar, and the differences are so minor in and in areas that are nigh irrelevant, other than common mutations which take millions of years to develop, which are random in any case and not associated with any particular group of people, to try to connect an entire group of people to that is nothing more than a logical fallacy.

There may one day be a human that's more intelligent, say a bigger heart which pumps more blood to the brain, a body accustomed to the rich diets of industrialized words. Perhaps even bigger brains. But it is not today. There aren't even Neanderthals around anymore, cromagnum man. Donkey's and horses can breed, zebras and various other steer, but humans cannot breed with any other species, or subspecies. We are the only one of our kinds, and all extremely similar. The human population went from 3 million to 7 billion in just 10,000 years. Our similarities are staggering; in fact, there's evidence to suggest that we all have ancestors to 10,000 people, just around 70,000 years ago. Whether it's true or not, we are that similar genetically, all of us.

As for differences in I.Q. among races, they are minor, at best. Furthermore, family structures tend to be geographically located in similar areas (since people tend to stay where they were born, for various reasons, including physical) so, it could be entirely environmental reasons as to why particular groups of people have higher or lower I.Q.'s. If you were never taught math, how well would you be at it; if you were never taught it at a young age, who says it will be ingrained into you? So on and so forth.

Particularly among the "The Bell Curve", these claims have been widely disproven by American Anthropological Association and the American Psychological Association (APA).

Fanatical Zealot

SirPuzzle
Suicidesoldier#1
SirPuzzle
Kaltros
Suicidesoldier#1

I think what he's trying to say is that our judgment of what is significant versus what is not is a matter of subjective opinion.

Which he's correct on.

The thing is though is, well yeah, significance is based upon a judgment call and that judgment call depends on context.

He cited the fact that humans are 99.9% similar to each other. The problem though is he then goes on to assume that that .1% can only account for "minor differences". But at the same time he's saying importance/significance is subjective.

Who's to say that that 0.1% difference cannot account for very significant differences in the way people interact in a modern world? Furthermore another problem with this "Humans are 99.9% identical" is that humans are 99.9% similar in genotype, that doesn't mean that they are 99.9% identical in terms of phenotype traits. Genes/alleles do not have a linear impact on people's characteristics. Some genes/alleles have little to no noticeable impact on the characteristics of a person (or animal), some genes/alleles will create a noticeable trait in a person/animal.

So for example speaking of racial IQ differences, who's to say that that 0.1% difference cannot account for the differences in average IQ we observe in the races? Now of course people can argue over whether IQ is "intelligence" or not, but I think people are deluding themselves if they argue that what IQ does measure is not significant in our modern economy. How competent people are in reading comprehension, abstract reasoning, spacial reasoning, math ability, etc, etc is very important in how well they end up doing in a modern 1st world country.

Also notice how none of these arguments are at all connected to whether race is socially constructed or not, that is a red herring to the discussion. Even if race is a totally socially constructed concept that is not biologically useful, that doesn't mean that therefore there cannot be differences in average intelligence that correlate with people's skin color.

I personally have no horse in the race over whether race is a social construct or not, because as I've explained race being socially constructed does not necessarily have an impact on whether observed racial IQ differences are 100% due to environment or partially due to genetic differences in population groups. However I'm not on board with the "Race is a social construct" argument because I'm not a scientist, and there's a lot of political pressure for population geneticists to say race is made up.

Furthermore there's already information out there that is suggesting that race may actually be a biologically useful concept. I'm not saying that there's proof or anything close to that level of evidence, all I'm saying is there is data (statistical clustering of people based upon their alleles) that is to an extent pointing towards that.

Bottom line is though I'm not a population geneticist, so I'm not going to talk as if I am one and pretend that I know that race is a useful concept or it isn't. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I don't know, I'm going to wait and see when population geneticists gather more information/data over the years and see what they have to say. However I'm not going to listen to the ideologues who obviously are partaking in motivated reasoning to conclude that race is socially constructed.

Race *is* socially constructed. Skin color and I.Q. are not correlated, for obvious reasons, because 2 genes are responsible for skin color; in fact, if we were going to say, say, Africans had an average lower I.Q. due to genetics, if an African person breed with say, a European, and then the offspring got the intelligence traits but kept the skin color, then it would be an example of skin color being irrelevant.

Race has no scientific definition. Subspecies, maybe, different genes present in humans, sure. But race is literally non-existent in the first place. If you choose to define race to be 2 genes, that is what determines pigment levels in skin, so be it, but realize that also doesn't include things like intelligence.

As far as it goes, there's not really anything in that .1% to make a considerable difference; starfish and sea sponges lack brains, insect brains are far less complex than human brains. But because humans are so similar, and the differences are so minor in and in areas that are nigh irrelevant, other than common mutations which take millions of years to develop, which are random in any case and not associated with any particular group of people, to try to connect an entire group of people to that is nothing more than a logical fallacy.

There may one day be a human that's more intelligent, say a bigger heart which pumps more blood to the brain, a body accustomed to the rich diets of industrialized words. Perhaps even bigger brains.

Uuh I know you're aware of the difference between correlation and causation. Why you mistook one for the other is something I don't understand.

Skin color and average IQ are correlated. People with black skin have lower average IQ levels than people with lighter skin.

Obviously skin pigmentation is not causing the lower IQ, no one is saying that. I am pointing out though the fact that there is a correlation between the two variables. That's just a fact, you're just wrong if you say otherwise.

"if an African person breed with say, a European, and then the offspring got the intelligence traits but kept the skin color, then it would be an example of skin color being irrelevant."

Again no one is saying skin color determines IQ or that IQ determines skin color. No one is arguing causation here, all I am pointing out is a statistical correlation which is factually accurate. However if you look at the average IQ level of people who have a white parent and a black parent, you actually find that the average IQ level of this group of people is between African's and whites. So actually still the correlation does hold even in this case.

"Race has no scientific definition. Subspecies, maybe, different genes present in humans, sure. But race is literally non-existent in the first place. If you choose to define race to be 2 genes, that is what determines pigment levels in skin, so be it"

Did I say I'm defining race based upon 2 genes? That's not what I am arguing, nor is it what people are arguing who know some of the science behind population genetics and are arguing that race is a biologically useful concept. Rather what people are arguing is that race is a biologically useful concept based upon the differences in allele frequencies of the racial groups. It's not just a few allele frequencies by the way, it's a huge amount of alleles that have a different level of presence in the racial groups.

All humans share the same genes, no one is saying there is a gene that defines race. What people are arguing is that it is the amount of alleles of these genes found in the population groups that justify race.

Now see this is why I say I am not completely on board with the "race is a social construct" stuff. Because we are still learning a lot about genes, alleles, and the frequencies between the races/ancestral population groups of these things. We only discovered the human genome about 10 years ago, there's still a lot of research to be done on this topic. I'm going to wait as more information comes out, I'm not an advocate of motivated reasoning and jumping to conclusions long before we actually have solid information on this topic.

"As far as it goes, there's not really anything in that .1% to make a considerable difference"

You cannot make this argument a priori or based on logic alone. It's an empirical question, meaning the evidence will determine the truth value of this proposition. Making analogies to other animals is irrelevant because as I pointed out how a gene/allele impacts an animal's characteristics is not linear.

Also you're going against what you said previously which is significance is a subjective judgment call dependent on context.

"other than common mutations which take millions of years to develop, which are random in any case and not associated with any particular group of people"

Again you're just making all these assumptions that are not based upon evidence. These things are not true. You say they are random even though we already know that the races are still evolving at this current movement and the genes that are being selected are different in the racial groups. This is not "random" I.E. based upon genetic drift, no we already know that there are genes being selected for right now and very recently, and the genes that are being selected are different among the racial groups.

"Perhaps even bigger brains."

The racial groups have different sizes in average brain size just to let you know..........

I invite you to read a book called A Troublesome Inheritance by Nicholas Wade, he explains in detail what I am talking about here. Many people have criticized the book so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the next thing you try to do to discredit the book. However I must point out the problem with this is the criticism of the book is about the second half of the book which is largely based upon speculation of the scientific information he describes in his first half. However the first half of his book which is mainly just centered around discussing what population geneticists have uncovered about race ever since the human genome has been uncovered. This first half of the book is not controversial, it's just citing what population geneticists have found and discussed in peer reviewed papers. I've read the book, but I only read the first half of it. I stopped reading it once it got to the speculation part because I'm not interested in speculation rather I was interested in the facts.

Race and I.Q. have never been confirmed to have a correlation.

I suppose it comes down to, where are your facts? What are your sources for why you believe this is the case; thus far, it hasn't been proven.

Brain size, at the moment, doesn't exactly determine intelligence, which is why midgets tend to have the same level of intelligence as ordinary people. In could hypothetically, I mean with a bigger brain comes the potential for more intelligence, but it doesn't seem to be the case in humans.

As well, it was in response to your correlation of race and skin color. xp

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces