Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Dabbler

Why not gender egalitarianism?
"Feminist" implies a bias towards enhancing women's rights. It's just a nasty term, in my opinion. Gender egalitarian would imply that you support equality between genders in all aspects; nothing more, nothing less.

The fact is that men/transgender/other gender people are still victims of inequality, though it is not in the same fashion that women experience. Why not stop associating those who would say "white cis male" as an insult?

Honestly, why call yourself a feminist instead of a gender egalitarian? The implication, based on modern radicals, lumps you in with very hateful and angry people who I am not convinced truly want equality.

Blessed Tactician

11,250 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Contributor 150
Why make a fuss over titles to begin with?

Dapper Dabbler

Divine_Malevolence

Because a title such as feminist invokes images of radicals who use "white cis male scum" as an insult, could make groups such as men or transgender people not feel welcome, and is not truly representative of the claimed goal of feminism, which is gender egalitarianism.
Feminism has a lot in common with Fascism, which is common with Nationalism, Racism, and Clan or Family based pride. I personally see no fault in a pride based community theory of superiority, if it produces superior results. That's basically the way Olympic medals are won. The way that super advanced technology rapidly appears, and the way that powerful armies are produced - its pure Ego. But like most things with sentient life - placebo almost always has a greater than 0 effect. Like the super hero comic studies that found children who grow up admiring super heroes become stronger and more athletic than those who didn't grow up with super hero admiration, it is totally possible Feminists thinking they are superior will go to extraordinary lengths to prove it, becoming more driven, more educated, more athletically inclined, and overall better people.

And all this theory is unrelated to the other, more obvious fact - that most of human history has been dominated by men, and a great deal of women have been abused simply because of their sex...

of course, this doesn't take into consideration the fact that men treat other men even worse in most of these historical examples - kill the men and boys, capture the women and girls, women and children only - let the men drown, etc. History is pretty ******** up. Women have been treated as slaves by most societies for thousands of years, thus feminism is a movement that seeks to pull that pendulum back to center, and for a little while, in their favor as a "ha-haaaH muthuF**" moment of vindication.

We have actually already passed that middle point, somewhere between 2006 and 2013. I suspect it will continue to progress through to the 2020s before it starts swinging back around 2027 to equilibrium again. After that, women must avoid at all costs "the Handmaids Tale"
Martial Magic
Why not gender egalitarianism?
"Feminist" implies a bias towards enhancing women's rights. It's just a nasty term, in my opinion. Gender egalitarian would imply that you support equality between genders in all aspects; nothing more, nothing less.

The fact is that men/transgender/other gender people are still victims of inequality, though it is not in the same fashion that women experience. Why not stop associating those who would say "white cis male" as an insult?

Honestly, why call yourself a feminist instead of a gender egalitarian? The implication, based on modern radicals, lumps you in with very hateful and angry people who I am not convinced truly want equality.

No it doesn't imply a bias towards enhancing female rights. Feminism is a perspective on issues, no different than a philosophical stance like Lockeanism, which looks at human development and knowledge through the lens of John Locke's philosophy. The feminist looks at issues from the view of what it (possibly) says about socieities' views of women and how, as a woman, the viewer understands what they see.

Seriously, was I like the only person awake in high school civics class?

Dapper Dabbler

Riviera de la Mancha
[The feminist looks at issues from the view of what it (possibly) says about socieities' views of women and how, as a woman, the viewer understands what they see.

Yes, it focuses on women.
But feminists claim to represent gender egalitarianism, and those who do claim to represent gender egalitarianism should identify as gender egalitarians. Because we don't give a damn if you're Sue or Harry or both, you deserve equal treatment from any viewpoint. Doesn't matter if you're man or woman or anything else, your viewpoint counts -- not just the female viewpoint, and it's ridiculous to think that something which focuses on things solely from a woman's point of view is what is best for all genders. Everyone should have a say.

If men are feeling mistreated because of their being male or if transgender people feel mistreated because of the fact that they are transgender, they deserve to have their point of view known and looked at from all angles. That's what gender egalitarianism is, not feminism.

Garbage

Feminism as I understand it is a type of egalitarianism. I see it as tackling a piece of the puzzle rather than taking on the whole all at once.
Martial Magic
Riviera de la Mancha
[The feminist looks at issues from the view of what it (possibly) says about socieities' views of women and how, as a woman, the viewer understands what they see.

But feminists claim to represent gender egalitarianism, and those who do claim to represent gender egalitarianism should identify as gender egalitarians. Because we don't give a damn if you're Sue or Harry or both, you deserve equal treatment from any viewpoint. Doesn't matter if you're man or woman or anything else, your viewpoint counts -- not just the female viewpoint, and it's ridiculous to think that something which focuses on things solely from a woman's point of view is what is best for all genders. Everyone should have a say.

If men are feeling mistreated because of their being male or if transgender people feel mistreated because of the fact that they are transgender, they deserve to have their point of view known and looked at from all angles. That's what gender egalitarianism is, not feminism.

You completely missed the point of the post you just responded to.
Martial Magic
Riviera de la Mancha

Again, what feminism does not imply is that the feminist wants ENHANCED rights for women, which is what you argued. While feminism of course includes gender egalitarianism, it is much more broader than that. Therefore, a feminist should not be compelled to label themselves gender egalitarians. It would be like saying that because Spiritualists believe in the idea of a spirit being separate from the body, all spiritualists should be labeled Christians. Plainly, Christianity encompasses much more than the belief that the spirit is separate from the body, although they certainly hold that view generally. And vice versa for the spiritualist; a spiritualist may adamantly disagree with several of the Christian teachings that go beyond the idea that the spirit is separate from the body.

Another error you make is assuming that taking a viewpoint means you think others do not matter or are irrelevant. That's a major, and unfounded, leap. Taking and expressing feminist viewpoints only speaks to the female view. It, by sheer definition, says nothing about other perspectives at all.

I mean really folks, it's not a particularly difficult concept, right?
Gender egalitarian is code word for anti-woman.

Why? Simple. I have yet to hear a self professed gender egalitarian criticize blatant anti-female rhetoric.

Timid Tipper

GSK Lives

Why? Simple. I have yet to hear a self professed gender egalitarian criticize blatant anti-female rhetoric.

I hope egalitarians that live up to the title start emerging. It'd be a shame for them to stay associated with misogyny like feminism is too often associated with misandry.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Jrock_Chlck
GSK Lives

I hope egalitarians that live up to the title start emerging. It'd be a shame for them to stay associated with misogyny like feminism is too often associated with misandry.

You're wasting your time.
Every. Single. Time. That vapid troll a*****e posted "what to egalitarians have to say about X, Y or Z"; WHEN those of us who condemned it posted it, she just ignored it.
GSK isn't a feminist. GSK is a troll.
Who faked a suicide and used her mule account posting as her made up girlfriend to confirm the suicide.
GSK is literally the worst person you can listen to when it comes to feminism topics.
GSK has single handedly done more to legitimise the ******** MRA a*****e ******** than any single person. Which, on reflection, leads me to believe GSK has always been an MRA troll.
CuAnnan
Jrock_Chlck
GSK Lives

You're wasting your time.
Every. Single. Time. That vapid troll a*****e posted "what to egalitarians have to say about X, Y or Z"; WHEN those of us who condemned it posted it, she just ignored it.
GSK isn't a feminist. GSK is a troll.
Who faked a suicide and used her mule account posting as her made up girlfriend to confirm the suicide.
GSK is literally the worst person you can listen to when it comes to feminism topics.
GSK has single handedly done more to legitimise the ******** MRA a*****e ******** than any single person. Which, on reflection, leads me to believe GSK has always been an MRA troll.

Dude, if you got beef with people, its hella tacky to lay that out in a thread.

Just send them hateful pms like other weirdies who hate people they only know online purely because of the views they express therein.
Divine_Malevolence
Because titles imply things about you. If those things are not true using a title that implies those things is misleading at best and deceptive at worst.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Riviera de la Mancha
Dude, if you got beef with people, its hella tacky to lay that out in a thread.

Stands to credibility.

Riviera de la Mancha
Just send them hateful pms like other weirdies who hate people they only know online purely because of the views they express therein.

It's not the posted-views. It's the suicide faking, girlfriend making up, seven year trolling that I got a beef with.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff