Welcome to Gaia! ::

AliKat1988
I think that there is a major problem with this that you need to consider. Rapists often have been sexually abused in their childhoods. I do not think for such individuals receiving 'cardinal' punishment will teach them anything if their experience of sex as being damaging to a person is reinforced. I also doubt that the rape victims would feel much better from this-it would be better to have the victim confront the rapist with the rapist restrained sufficiently, though I am not sure how well that would work.

Well, I've heard from one rape victim on Gaia who said she confronted her rapist, and he responded to her by admitting that yes, he did rape her. And that he was a horrible person, but couldn't take the action back. She said that that was part of her healing experience. So... maybe?

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
tuxkatz6
catspook
It is well known that going to prison in this country put you at a high risk of rape, so in a way we already have this system. And yet we still have rapists and the rapists we release often reoffend, so I really doubt your claim that this would be a deterrent or lower the recidivism rate.

What is your definition of often? I've done a lot of research about recidivism rates for various crimes and it was clear that sex offenders have among the lowest recidivism rates, if not the lowest - especially when it comes to committing another sex crime.

Really? I had heard differently. I concede to your expertise, though I would be interested in seeing your research.
catspook
tuxkatz6
catspook
It is well known that going to prison in this country put you at a high risk of rape, so in a way we already have this system. And yet we still have rapists and the rapists we release often reoffend, so I really doubt your claim that this would be a deterrent or lower the recidivism rate.

What is your definition of often? I've done a lot of research about recidivism rates for various crimes and it was clear that sex offenders have among the lowest recidivism rates, if not the lowest - especially when it comes to committing another sex crime.

Really? I had heard differently. I concede to your expertise, though I would be interested in seeing your research.

He's lying out of his a**. FBI and CIA Statistics show that the majority of rapists repeat. I doubt he even researches.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Gen_Desolas Arterius
catspook
tuxkatz6
catspook

He's lying out of his a**. FBI and CIA Statistics show that the majority of rapists repeat. I doubt he even researches.

Well now I want to see the statistics, but I'm distracted right now and don't really want to dig through them myself.
catspook
Gen_Desolas Arterius
catspook
tuxkatz6
catspook

Well now I want to see the statistics, but I'm distracted right now and don't really want to dig through them myself.

Undetected rapists repeat.

Nine out of ten campus rapes are committed by repeat offenders.

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
[Net]

-To deliver justice. What more appropiate form of justice is there than to make the punishment fit the crime?

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. This is cruel and unusual punishment that does not solve the issues involved in stopping rapists from raping and keeping the public safe. You do not rehabilitate rapists this way. This would create monsters.

Quote:
-To help bring relief to victims of rape. Rape victims are traumatized from the event, and their families also suffer as a result. Sentencing rapists to cardinal punishment can help victims heal.

Vengeance isn't the way to help victims and it doesn't help our society as a whole. It is a personal feeling that the government should have no involvement in to seek out.

Quote:
-It would be a great crime deterrent. People would be more reluctant to rape if there's a possibility of facing cardinal punishment.

Just as capital punishment makes murderers more reluctant to murder if there's a possibility of facing capital punishment. Oh wait, it doesn't. http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/front-line-law-enforcement-views-death-penalty

Quote:
-If rapists are sentenced to cardinal punishment, their time in prison could be reduced. This would help with the issue of overcrowed prisons as well as the costs of maintaining those prisons.

No, that just means we would have to use our tax dollars for those cardinal punishment camps or whatever.

Quote:
-It would deter the rapist from raping again. Eventually, rapists are given parole. Even worse, they can escape prison before their time is served. But by teaching them a lesson with cardinal punishment, they would be unlikely to rape again (compared to if they were only given a prison sentence).

No, this would be creating monsters, just as bad as those we create in prisons. You treat a person like s**t and like a monster with no human rights, they're just going to take that and treat others in the same respect.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Gen_Desolas Arterius
catspook
Gen_Desolas Arterius
catspook
tuxkatz6
catspook

Interesting, but we were speaking about rapists who were convicted, sent to prison, and released. Do you have any stats on that?
catspook
Gen_Desolas Arterius
catspook
Gen_Desolas Arterius
catspook

Interesting, but we were speaking about rapists who were convicted, sent to prison, and released. Do you have any stats on that?

Technically, he is correct, and he isn't. Statistics vary, -widely-, and there is no definitive answer. But the rate is as high as 52% in some studies.

-BUT-

This is something juicy
Dr. Doren isn’t sure, pointing out, for example, that convicted rapists are more likely to re-offend in the years immediately after release, and more likely to commit other violent crimes.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Gen_Desolas Arterius
catspook
Gen_Desolas Arterius
catspook
Gen_Desolas Arterius

Technically, he is correct, and he isn't. Statistics vary, -widely-, and there is no definitive answer. But the rate is as high as 52% in some studies.

-BUT-

This is something juicy
Dr. Doren isn’t sure, pointing out, for example, that convicted rapists are more likely to re-offend in the years immediately after release, and more likely to commit other violent crimes.

Thanks!
Personally, I'm against cardinal punishment. I never understood the need to get a specific breed of bird involved with dolling out punishment to someone or a group of someones.
Woah...that is a very strange thought I have to say! Would it not simply make more sense to castrate them? And who would volunteer for such a role???
skullkey848
Woah...that is a very strange thought I have to say! Would it not simply make more sense to castrate them? And who would volunteer for such a role???

Other rapists. emotion_awesome
skullkey848

That would only work on one of the genders. As for your second question, it wouldn't be such an odd occurance. Just like how's there's plenty of people that volunteer to execute.
A Menina Pianista
Cardinal punishment doesn't sound feasible because you would have to find someone to do the job who could even tolerate being near a rapist, which is a feat in itself. I think the criminal should be placed on a chair in front of a TV and made to watch a 12 hour loop of bad music videos. No one would commit crimes if they had to watch this as punishment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HeE6NWmDE

"Hot girls we have problems too, we're just like you... except we're hot" xd

At least someone is making sense. Everyone else is sounding just like those anti-capitol punishment people.

Wheezing Millionaire

You speak of an ironic punishment, where the punishment is the crime.

I would propose that the crime be converted into monetary value and have the person work as an indentured servant to pay off the crime. That would be much more amusing than your proposal.

Plus, how do you know the person doesn't have a fetish for being raped themselves?
And rape being a fairly common fetish, would people try to rape others more in attempts to be raped themselves?

disclaimer values noted here do not reflect my own

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces