Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Ishilied
So, you want to create rapists to stop rape?

Wow! Maybe I should have read that more clearly. I missed that part.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
It is well known that going to prison in this country put you at a high risk of rape, so in a way we already have this system. And yet we still have rapists and the rapists we release often reoffend, so I really doubt your claim that this would be a deterrent or lower the recidivism rate.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
catspook
It is well known that going to prison in this country put you at a high risk of rape, so in a way we already have this system. And yet we still have rapists and the rapists we release often reoffend, so I really doubt your claim that this would be a deterrent or lower the recidivism rate.

Rape in prison is far far less then you seem to think it is. But, since you already made a claim, could you post statistics on the percentage of inmates that are raped?
Steam Punk Adept
Gen_Desolas Arterius
[Net]
Gen_Desolas Arterius
Ishilied

Makes no sense. confused

No one deserves rape; not even rapists.

It wouldn't be rape. Rape is illegal. This would be a legal act and thus have a different term.

Rape is rape, no matter how much you try to twist it; just as capital punishment is state-sponsored terrorism.
Actually, your analogy is wrong. Terrorism involves a large scale attack on a nation in an attempt to enact political change. If you want a proper analogy, it would be state sanctioned murder.

I'unno, really. there is no unified definition on terrorism. But whatevs, my Middle East Studies professor argues this. I just like his argument. He beast. biggrin

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Steam Punk Adept
catspook

Rape in prison is far far less then you seem to think it is. But, since you already made a claim, could you post statistics on the percentage of inmates that are raped?

Well, according to this article 1 in 20 prisoners report being raped. And according to this article only 5% to 25% of rapes are reported. So the most conservative estimate would be that 1 in 5 prisoners are raped; that seems pretty damn significant to me.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
You know, I'm sure a good amount of rapists were once rape victims themselves.
Ishilied

While he's at it, he should make synthetics to prevent organics from being killed by synthetics by killing them with synthetics.

But yes, this is a terrible idea. I'm pretty sure OP wasn't serious.
Steam Punk Adept
[Net]
Gen_Desolas Arterius
Ishilied

Makes no sense. confused

No one deserves rape; not even rapists.

It wouldn't be rape. Rape is illegal. This would be a legal act and thus have a different term.
Rape is rape, regardless. Just as calling a rose a stench weed doesn't change that it's a pretty flower that smells nice.

There is still a fundamental different. Rape hurts someone over one's selfish desires, whereas cardinal punishment would be a selfless act to serve justice. Would you call a police arrest the same as kidnapping?

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
catspook
Steam Punk Adept
catspook

Well, according to this article 1 in 20 prisoners report being raped. And according to this article only 5% to 25% of rapes are reported. So the most conservative estimate would be that 1 in 5 prisoners are raped; that seems pretty damn significant to me.

Funny, this article, says it's much less

Quote:
After more than four decades of research, it is still unclear how much rape and sexually violent activity occurs in prisons, jails, and other corrections facilities in the United States. What is clear from research is that, as with rape in free society, prison rape goes largely unreported.

Of the hundreds of studies in institutional corrections, less than 25 research studies have been conducted on prison rape. Of those studies, some asked inmates to describe their victimizations, including nonconsensual activities other than rape, while others examined official reports filed by inmates. Because none of these studies were national in scope, it remains difficult to estimate the extent of the problem. A meta-analysis of this research estimates a 1.91 percent lifetime prevalence for all inmates in the United States

Thus, although the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) 2003 states that 13 percent of all inmates have been raped in American prisons and jails, the most recent research estimates less prevalence of rape, whether inmate-on-inmate or staff-on-inmate sexual misconduct.
Phallic Wonderland
You know, I'm sure a good amount of rapists were once rape victims themselves.

Or so they claim.
Feared and Fearless
Ishilied

While he's at it, he should make synthetics to prevent organics from being killed by synthetics by killing them with synthetics.

Our existence is beyond your comprehension. We are legion. *BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUR*

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Steam Punk Adept
catspook
Steam Punk Adept
catspook

Quote:
After more than four decades of research, it is still unclear how much rape and sexually violent activity occurs in prisons, jails, and other corrections facilities in the United States. What is clear from research is that, as with rape in free society, prison rape goes largely unreported.

Of the hundreds of studies in institutional corrections, less than 25 research studies have been conducted on prison rape. Of those studies, some asked inmates to describe their victimizations, including nonconsensual activities other than rape, while others examined official reports filed by inmates. Because none of these studies were national in scope, it remains difficult to estimate the extent of the problem. A meta-analysis of this research estimates a 1.91 percent lifetime prevalence for all inmates in the United States

Thus, although the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) 2003 states that 13 percent of all inmates have been raped in American prisons and jails, the most recent research estimates less prevalence of rape, whether inmate-on-inmate or staff-on-inmate sexual misconduct.

It looks like that article only takes into account rapes that are reported; as rape is a highly underreported crime, I have a lot of concerns about that.

Now, would you like to back up the claims your made in the OP that your system would be an effective deterrent, both for first-time and repeat offenses?
catspook

I'm actually against vigilantism.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
catspook
Steam Punk Adept
catspook
Steam Punk Adept
catspook

Quote:

It looks like that article only takes into account rapes that are reported; as rape is a highly underreported crime, I have a lot of concerns about that.

Now, would you like to back up the claims your made in the OP that your system would be an effective deterrent, both for first-time and repeat offenses?
I'm not the OP, and I don't agree with his stance.

But answer me this, how can you put statistics to unreported crimes? All you can do is assume a number, and assuming is well beyond inaccurate.
Feared and Fearless
Ishilied

He's either serious or trolling. /shrug

And half the time, troll's don't keep trying to argue their point... When they do, the fail about as badly as [Net] is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff