Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cardinal punishment is a term, that I have invented, for a type of punishment that I believe should be issued to rapists. To describe the punishment, it involves restraining the rapist in a room where a volunteer, that I shall dub the "deliverer", sexually penetrates the rapist against their will.

Reasons why I believe cardinal punishment should be institutionalized:

-To deliver justice. What more appropiate form of justice is there than to make the punishment fit the crime?

-To help bring relief to victims of rape. Rape victims are traumatized from the event, and their families also suffer as a result. Sentencing rapists to cardinal punishment can help victims heal.

-It would be a great crime deterrent. People would be more reluctant to rape if there's a possibility of facing cardinal punishment.

-If rapists are sentenced to cardinal punishment, their time in prison could be reduced. This would help with the issue of overcrowed prisons as well as the costs of maintaining those prisons.

-It would deter the rapist from raping again. Eventually, rapists are given parole. Even worse, they can escape prison before their time is served. But by teaching them a lesson with cardinal punishment, they would be unlikely to rape again (compared to if they were only given a prison sentence).

Discuss.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
This works the same as having the Death Penalty deters murder. Oh wait, it doesn't.
So, you want to create rapists to stop rape?
Ishilied

Makes no sense. confused

No one deserves rape; not even rapists.
Steam Punk Adept
This works the same as having the Death Penalty deters murder. Oh wait, it doesn't.

This.
An eye for an eye doesn't solve anything.
Ishilied

They would be called deliverers, so no.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Grandiloquence
Steam Punk Adept

This.
An eye for an eye doesn't solve anything.
And I even support the need for a death penalty. I just don't see it as a deterrent.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
As much as I'd love to say this would work, I have my doubts. Rape is not a crime of passion, but one of control. And it's performed for various reasons that "I'm going to be such deep s**t for this" won't come into play. After all, you have cases where the victim is incapacited and the rapist believes the person would have said yes if not incapacited or takes whatever answer as a yes. This happened to a friend of mine. She was drunk out of her mind and didn't understand what was going on. She had no ability to fully say no due to the alcohol and when she realized what happened the night before, she was horrified. Why didn't that boy realize she was too drunk to be in her right mind? Honestly, I think he was drunk off his a**, too, but that's not to excuse that it happened.

You also have rapists who honestly believe that the whole "no, no" their victim is screaming is just a lie and they really mean "Yes yes". That they are doing what their victim secretly wants. Not to mention, you have women who rape men (it happens) who take this whole, the guy really wants it. Rapists can, and have, used the body's reactions to prove that the other person wanted it. A woman, or man, can climax from being raped, but that doesn't mean they liked it. It just means the body acts independently from the brain at times. Like autopilot.

In cases such as these, the rapist doesn't think they did anything wrong. She was asking for it. He secretly wanted me to. I'd wager that very few rapists actually think of themselves as rapists. So the idea that harsher punishments will detour them won't work. It's still a good idea, but it wo'nt stop them.
Gen_Desolas Arterius
Ishilied

Makes no sense. confused

It wouldn't be rape. Rape is illegal. This would be a legal act and thus have a different term.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
[Net]
Ishilied

Rape is still rape, just as a rapist is still a rapist, even if it is sanctioned and called something else. Ishilied's point still stands.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
[Net]
Gen_Desolas Arterius
Ishilied

Makes no sense. confused

It wouldn't be rape. Rape is illegal. This would be a legal act and thus have a different term.
Rape is rape, regardless. Just as calling a rose a stench weed doesn't change that it's a pretty flower that smells nice.
[Net]
Gen_Desolas Arterius
Ishilied

Makes no sense. confused

Rape is rape, no matter how much you try to twist it; just as capital punishment is state-sponsored terrorism.
Gen_Desolas Arterius
Ishilied

Makes no sense. confused

Makes as much sense as anything else.

But it's not only that. Forcing someone to rape a rapist is rape itself, so if you're not employing rapists to rape rapists, you're raping your employee's. Nobody wins in this one.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Gen_Desolas Arterius
[Net]
Gen_Desolas Arterius
Ishilied

Makes no sense. confused

Rape is rape, no matter how much you try to twist it; just as capital punishment is state-sponsored terrorism.
Actually, your analogy is wrong. Terrorism involves a large scale attack on a nation in an attempt to enact political change. If you want a proper analogy, it would be state sanctioned murder.
[Net]
Ishilied

A rotten egg by the name of a rose would smell just as foul.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff