Welcome to Gaia! ::

Keltoi Samurai
N3bu
Keltoi Samurai
I'm just waiting for the inevitability of when 3D printing really takes off and the people who made that "you wouldn't download a car" anti-piracy ad first start to realise how wrong they were.

it'll all be worth it for that, alone.

Sure, I guess, I you totally want a non-working plastic car.

you really think shitty fall-apart plastic is gonna be where this technology caps out?

you think that'll be as far as we take it?

also, don't they already have industrial versions that work with metal?

behold, the future!

that right there, that's the Zuse Z3-equivalent of 3D printing in metal. the moment it reaches the Commodore 64-level, I'm'll download me a pirated 1942 Indian Army Scout.

Unless you can get a printer that replicates an entire factory production line, you're not going to get a working vehicle.

Not to mention you actually have to pay for the materials that printer prints. That's a cars worth of metal, rubber, glass silicone and rare earth elements.

At the point "printers" can fabricate working electronic machinery? Nobody is going to give a flying ******** about downloading.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
N3bu
Keltoi Samurai
N3bu
Keltoi Samurai
I'm just waiting for the inevitability of when 3D printing really takes off and the people who made that "you wouldn't download a car" anti-piracy ad first start to realise how wrong they were.

you really think shitty fall-apart plastic is gonna be where this technology caps out?

behold, the future!

that right there, that's the Zuse Z3-equivalent of 3D printing in metal. the moment it reaches the Commodore 64-level, I'm'll download me a pirated 1942 Indian Army Scout.

Unless you can get a printer that replicates an entire factory production line, you're not going to get a working vehicle.

Not to mention you actually have to pay for the materials that printer prints. That's a cars worth of metal, rubber, glass silicone and rare earth elements.

At the point "printers" can fabricate working electronic machinery? Nobody is going to give a flying ******** about downloading.

why would I need a full factory production line?

all I'd need is the printer, the raw materials ( costly, but nowhere near the cost of just buying a 1942 Indian Army Scout ), and the garageful of tools I already have to put the pieces together.

it's like rebuilding a classic car, only cheaper and less time consuming ( you'd be surprised how much you can cut down on the price of, say, an automotive engine block when you only have to pay for the raw materials that go into it, and provide all the labor yourself ).

Hell, I might start by rebuilding my own car from the ground up.
Keltoi Samurai
N3bu
Keltoi Samurai
N3bu
Keltoi Samurai

behold, the future!

why would I need a full factory production line?

all I'd need is the printer, the raw materials ( costly, but nowhere near the cost of just buying a 1942 Indian Army Scout ), and the garageful of tools I already have to put the pieces together.

it's like rebuilding a classic car, only cheaper and less time consuming ( you'd be surprised how much you can cut down on the price of, say, an automotive engine block when you only have to pay for the raw materials that go into it, and provide all the labor yourself ).

Hell, I might start by rebuilding my own car from the ground up.

Oh I see what you mean.

Man, I was totally thinking of something else.

Still, fabricating working electronic parts might be a bit of a b***h.
printing in hard, stainless steel with a decent tensile strength and flexibility (rather than brittle like ceramic) will be a major milestone, as will be the printing of circuits, which are composed of many techniques and materials. It is likely that a smaller number of materials will be given metamaterial properties such as magnetism or conductivity by modifying how they are printed.
Keltoi Samurai
N3bu
Keltoi Samurai

behold, the future!

DMLS has thus far been unable to produce void-free, finished parts. It's also really hard to source, implement, and power lasers. Electron beam melting and MetalicaRap is a much more promising and open-source project, and it will be able to work with far more metals than just aluminum, and it produces void-free parts with high tolerances. It's also easier to steer electron beams than laser beams, and it can be done without moving parts.
http://iopscience.iop.org/1758-5090/5/1/015013

apparently we are currently at 99% efficiency at 3D printing with embryonic stem cells. This is a rather recent step in biomedical 3D printing and will have long lasting effects on the prosthetics and organ transplant market.

With regard to the melting of steels, It seems to me if we take a bunch of diode lasers and focus the beams onto a single spot, we could create a ring of Laser Diodes that might be powerful enough to melt a tiny focal point of powdered steel, making beads or droplets of steel that might run together and cool before the second layer is applied. I'm not sure how effective this ring of beams might be, but I am fairly certain that the apparatus could be much, much smaller than current steel printing machines. For example, in my own tests, I got a handheld diode laser to cause a surface to reach over 700 degrees F. I'm not certain how many additional beams it would take to reach the 5000+ F to melt steel, but my diode, even with the heat sink and regulator was only about an inch in diameter w/ heat sink and lens, and closer to a 1/2 centimeter with just the diode and lens. So I'm going to guess that 22 of these on a ring might only occupy a diameter of 2.5-7 inches. I'm just not sure how hot 22 of these beams might get a surface and don't have the equipment to test it.

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100

August 29th, 2:14AM : NeatDesk has become Self Aware...

http://filabot.com/

it's called filabot. It's like a paper shredder/wood chipper for plastic. It turns your used and washed milk jugs, plastic bottles, and broken sporks into fresh polymer spools for your 3D printer. Technology like this recycling machine would allow a person to produce prototypes and then grind them back into raw materials if the prototypes didn't fit (such as jewelry), match (wrong colors or sizes), or suit the purposes of the product (such as not actually meeting the performance expectations).

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Speaking of trends, there's this weird one starting up in the ED where people put up a freaking WALL OF TEXT. Whatever happened to tldr?

Anyway, having skimmed it, I have some experience with 3d printing. It's pricy, and the things it prints aren't very sturdy. The only advantage to it is precision, which matters more in commercial prototypes than personal items. With technology where it is, you're better off learning to whittle. Seriously, what's wrong with whittling? Nobody does it anymore.
Exoth XIII
Speaking of trends, there's this weird one starting up in the ED where people put up a freaking WALL OF TEXT. Whatever happened to tldr?

Anyway, having skimmed it, I have some experience with 3d printing. It's pricy, and the things it prints aren't very sturdy. The only advantage to it is precision, which matters more in commercial prototypes than personal items. With technology where it is, you're better off learning to whittle. Seriously, what's wrong with whittling? Nobody does it anymore.

I whittled a motorcycle last year. The problems included drilling tiny holes for my peg "nails" and the holes for the axles. I also attempted to make gears but the teeth snapped along the grain.It's amazing what you can do when your spouse is in the middle of a DBZ marathon. I think the important lesson to take away from this though, is that 3D printing allows you to avoid some of the pitfalls of inconsistencies in carving. If I was to be placed in charge of a design team, I would want new students to spend a week carving wood and working with pottery, so that they could gain a new insight into the problems they had the capacity to overcome.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Michael Noire
Exoth XIII

I whittled a motorcycle last year. The problems included drilling tiny holes for my peg "nails" and the holes for the axles. I also attempted to make gears but the teeth snapped along the grain.It's amazing what you can do when your spouse is in the middle of a DBZ marathon. I think the important lesson to take away from this though, is that 3D printing allows you to avoid some of the pitfalls of inconsistencies in carving. If I was to be placed in charge of a design team, I would want new students to spend a week carving wood and working with pottery, so that they could gain a new insight into the problems they had the capacity to overcome.

You can't exactly whittle a gear. For that sort of precision, you'd want better tools. It can be done, cuckoo clocks are frequently made exclusively out of wood. I'd suggest using a rasp and files, to cut out the teeth. With care, of course.
Keltoi Samurai
x-Garethp-x
Keltoi Samurai

why-oh-why would British cops wear helmets?

It is always raining here.
Here's another example of the analytics programming that will be used to predict future trends, and that kind of programming will eventually be used to predict trends in technology through similar data mining and aggregation:

Predictive Analytics for Masses made for Spies

Fanatical Zealot

Keltoi Samurai

3-D printing is basically limited to plastic molds. xp

Even if you could turn say, oh, steel into dust, and then squirt it out in a liquid paste, and then let it harden, you aren't going to get work hardened, stress hardened homogenous steel like you find in cars or get the proper alloy etc.

Modern cars use steel that's over 10 times stronger than the stuff used in the 90's, and the 90's uses stuff that's like 10 times stronger than the stuff in the 60-70's.

Getting the perfect alloy and properly strengthened steel?

Good luck.

Carbon fiber for instance, the strength doesn't come from the carbon, it comes from it's shape, and then it's mold etc.

Knight armor is strong because it's bent, which allows it to keep it's shape based off of it's structural integrity. Even if you printed out a metal model and even had it melted together, it won't be strong like the armor. Steel girders and everything else have specific shapes for specific reasons. As nice as it would be, printing something out would be an unlikely way to actually build something like say, a car. xp

Sheet metal in it's own right isn't very strong.

So even if you can achieve the same shape from a different process you lose the over-all strength of the material. It would be nice for making say, jade figurines though, which are relatively hard to carve.
Suicidesoldier#1
Keltoi Samurai

3-D printing is basically limited to plastic molds. xp

welcome to the 21st century

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out