Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fanatical Zealot

For people saying religion, what about China, Africa, or even places not effected largely by Abrahmaic religions, like India?

That's at least 50% of the world right there.

Must have been Christianity, right? xp

You see, that's just what the Christians want you to think; now today there's ironically a counter culture to the idea they invented it, but they're still wrong.
because sex is an intimate act.
i don't care about marriage i just think everlasting love is qt

emo
Customs are passed down, and as long as they are beneficial for survival, they are usually kept.
In earlier times, polygamy may have proved useful for some reason (I am not an anthropologist), but modernly, that does not seem to be the case.
Similarly, religion became very popular across the world for providing a framework of rules that kept people in all good forms of health in a certain time period.

Overall, I do not think humans are innately one thing or another in terms of behavior. I say this with a background in the neurosciences. Our adaptability and ability to observe, learn, and act accordingly is one of the most human things about us.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
fuzzy . chaos
Why do humans, polygamous by nature, try to be monogamous?

arrow Evidence? I mean, polygamy might work for some but not others. You can't just say humans are polygamous by nature. That is just not a verifiable hypothesis.

arrow That having been said, I do believe the institution of marriage is a sham. People can live together in whatever arrangement with other adults, but with marriage, the government and society can dictate which arrangements are government-sanctioned and accepted, and which aren't. Usually it's a one paternal and one maternal figure, ideally with a child. All other unions have to fall within the heterosexual model of a family unit or face consequences.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
XxRagingHomosexualxX
fuzzy . chaos

arrow Evidence? I mean, polygamy might work for some but not others. You can't just say humans are polygamous by nature. That is just not a verifiable hypothesis.

arrow That having been said, I do believe the institution of marriage is a sham. People can live together in whatever arrangement with other adults, but with marriage, the government and society can dictate which arrangements are government-sanctioned and accepted, and which aren't. Usually it's a one paternal and one maternal figure, ideally with a child. All other unions have to fall within the heterosexual model of a family unit or face consequences.

There are legal and economic benefits from state approved marriages, but I completely agree that the ability to determine which mentally capable and responsible adults can marry each other is unacceptable.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
I AM R U

There are legal and economic benefits from state approved marriages, but I completely agree that the ability to determine which mentally capable and responsible adults can marry each other is unacceptable.

arrow Such benefits should not be for married couples alone.

arrow I'm glad that you do.

Cat

15,590 Points
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
XxRagingHomosexualxX
fuzzy . chaos

I'm referring to the scientific (zoology) definitions of polygamy and monogamy.

In a way, from a reproductive standpoint, women are built to be monogamous (only able to bare the child of one mate at a time) and men are built to have the ability to be polygamous (can mate with many females at one time.)

Of course, I realize there are countless other levels of polygamy and monogamy, like social and behavioral polygamy/monogamy.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
fuzzy . chaos

In a way, from a reproductive standpoint, women are built to be monogamous (only able to bare the child of one mate at a time) and men are built to have the ability to be polygamous (can mate with many females at one time.)

Of course, I realize there are countless other levels of polygamy and monogamy, like social and behavioral polygamy/monogamy.

arrow What about same-sex couples? Also, do you think that men are incapable of being monogamous?

arrow You do know that not all females have reproductive instincts, right? Like, they don't feel the need to breed.

Cat

15,590 Points
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
XxRagingHomosexualxX
fuzzy . chaos

arrow What about same-sex couples? Also, do you think that men are incapable of being monogamous?

arrow You do know that not all females have reproductive instincts, right? Like, they don't feel the need to breed.

I support and acknowledge same-sex couples. I also think that all men have the ability to choose to stay with one partner, and so do females.
I'm just talking about monogamy/polygamy from a reproductive standpoint.
Same-sex couples can reproduce too, with a borrowed egg/fertilization, so this also applies to them.

I think that what's so interesting about humans is, despite being born omnivores (basing that on the evolution of our teeth) some people choose to be vegetarian, carnivorous, etc. I think it's the same way some people choose to be monogamous.
I'm just curious about peoples' opinions on it.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
XxRagingHomosexualxX
I AM R U

arrow Such benefits should not be for married couples alone.

arrow I'm glad that you do.

Well, defacto (and common law) couples are also able to get most of the same benefits as married couples.
fuzzy . chaos

I'll add more to this opening post as I find the words for it. I'd just really like to start a discussion and hear others' though-out opinions.

They are not Polygamous by nature. It is usually societies morals that determine such sexual relationships one of the controlling factors was religion. It was seen as a way to control a persons wealth as religion decided if you where legally married or not and then could deny your offspring their due because of marriage or your partner in the relationship their due.

A lot of it is based on culture where men provide for the women and if he can support more women it is like a status symbol. In cultures where women can provide for themselves there is more of monogamous sexual relationships where if the guy or girl is not faithful to each other it usually ends the relationship. I will note that religion in the old days required women to be monogamous, but men rarely as it was a way to make sure of any children born of the marriage was the husbands.

I for one don't see a problem with a woman sharing two or more men or a man sharing with two or more women as long as the all agree to it with full knowledge.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
I AM R U

Well, defacto (and common law) couples are also able to get most of the same benefits as married couples.

arrow Not all. That is still a form of discrimination.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
XxRagingHomosexualxX
I AM R U

arrow Not all. That is still a form of discrimination.

Well, given they're not technically married, no its not discrimination. The discrimination lies in not allowing all adult couples to marry and achieve said benefits.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff