Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should Society Strive for Equality, or Are These Double Standards Acceptable?

These aren't double standards, clearly you're racist and/or sexist 0.36764705882353 36.8% [ 25 ]
This isn't equality, and better efforts should be made to reach equality 0.20588235294118 20.6% [ 14 ]
I didn't understand this post 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Free gold? Yes please! 0.10294117647059 10.3% [ 7 ]
I like Pie 0.029411764705882 2.9% [ 2 ]
Frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn 0.088235294117647 8.8% [ 6 ]
Racism is awesome! 0.058823529411765 5.9% [ 4 ]
I'm just here from GD or Chatterbox, and wanted to Troll ED 0.14705882352941 14.7% [ 10 ]
Total Votes:[ 68 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

I-Chiaroscuro-I
I'll just leave this here... ninja

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And I'll just leave this here...
User Image

Rich Punk

15,775 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Nuclear Plant 500
  • Solarpowered 250
A Mythic Angel
Just That Fabulous
A Mythic Angel
Just That Fabulous
I can understand not wanting to date a white person that sees me as a stereotype before they see me as a person. See: yellow fever, jungle fever, other disgusting terms for liking specific races that are not white.
Why would I, as a White person, want to date a black person who sees me as "cream" for their "mocha," or the "ivory" to their "ebony"? Seriously, it's disgusting to be compared to ivory, especially considering how ivory is obtained. It's the same damn thing, but you just completely glossed it over because it runs directly counter to your argument. Disgusting racial terms are NOT the exclusive domain of white people, or do you pretend that "Cracka" just doesn't exist?

Uhm, I've actually never been referred to as any of these things because I'm from an area with mainly white people and since joining the navy the men I work with are very careful in how they address me and all the other women, thanks to constant training in how not to sexually discriminate.

I appreciate you assuming that I was just glossing over something I had genuinely not considered, the existence of a specific form of misogyny based on black men referring to white women in that manner does not negate that white people are still in a societal position of power. Even cracker, as the mainstream slur for white people, refers specifically to the historical position of power we held over black people as the cracker of the whip, AKA slave owner.

So I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here. I wasn't agreeing with your example of white people wanting to date white people being racist, I was saying it made sense for the other side.
Just because you've never been referred to as such, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Ignorance of the existence of discrimination does not mean it doesn't exist.

And just because it makes sense, doesn't mean it's any less racist.
If it's racist for a white person to only want to date white people, then it's racist for a black person to only want to date black people. In fact, dating only within one race, regardless of your race, is a form of racism. THAT was my point

Once more, you're putting words in my mouth. I never said it didn't happen. Who are you even arguing with?

"Racism consists of both prejudice and discrimination based in social perceptions of biological differences between peoples. It often takes the form of social actions, practices or beliefs, or political systems that consider different races to be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other, based on presumed shared inheritable traits, abilities, or qualities. It may also hold that members of different races should be treated differently." --wiki

Stating a preference for dating within your race does not necessarily mean you're racist, but the reasoning behind it can make it so. If you're dating within your race because you want to have a common culture, or avoid abuse, that's one thing. If you're dating white because you see different races as inferior, that's another. It could be considered a form of reclamation for people to date only within their own culture.

Angelic Ladykiller

9,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Riviera de la Mancha
A Mythic Angel
The following are examples on Double Standards that our society has come to accept in the name of Political Correctness,

1a: As a white person, if I post an online dating profile that states that I only date within my own race, I am a racist
1b: As a white person, if I post an online dating profile that states that I only date outside my own race, I'm progressive
1c: As a black person, if I post an online dating profile that states that I only date within my own race, I'm human
1d: As a black person, if I post an online dating profile that states that I only date outside my own race, I'm progressive

2a: If a white person wears black face, for any reason, he/she is a racist.
2b: If a black person wears white face, for any reason, he/she is being empowered.

3a: If a man, in his online dating profile, states that for him to consider a woman worth dating, she must have a job, a car, and her own place to live, he's misogynistic.
3b: If a woman, in her online dating profile, states that for her to consider a man worth dating, he must have a job, a car, and her own place to live, she's empowering herself.

4: As an employer, I have two applicants who have equal qualifications. One applicant is male, unmarried, no children. The other is a woman, unmarried, three children. The man is available to me during any of my scheduled business hours, and has a great deal of flexibility as far as his schedule. The woman cannot work weekends or evenings, and has informed me that she may need several days off each month, and may be required to leave early during her shifts to take care of her children. I only have one available job.
4a: I hire the man because of his availability. I am suddenly misogynistic.
4b: I hire the woman despite her limited availability, and suddenly my business is a feminist ally.

Why is it that society allows such double standards to exist. Feminism, Civil Rights, and other such movements claim to be about equality, but this is not equality. Take all of the examples listed as 1. 1a is the only one that gets treated as a racist, but all 4 are clear examples of racist thought. How is this equality, and why is it Politically Correct? To me, this is anything but equality, and is a direct slap in the face from these movements that seek such things.

Discuss

About the only this to discuss is how pretty much all of those double standards are in your head.

Said it once, I've said it a thousand times: no one is more bigoted towards white people than white people's own fantacies.
The only thing you appear to be adding to the discussion, besides your bigotry, is your inability to spell the word "fantasies."

I can only assume that your pathetic, uninformative post is the product of your inability to bring up any kind of counterpoint to what has been posted. But, just for the sake of argument, please explain how it is NOT a double standard.

Angelic Ladykiller

9,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Riviera de la Mancha
I-Chiaroscuro-I

User Image
And I'll just leave this here.....
A Mythic Angel
Riviera de la Mancha
A Mythic Angel
The following are examples on Double Standards that our society has come to accept in the name of Political Correctness,

1a: As a white person, if I post an online dating profile that states that I only date within my own race, I am a racist
1b: As a white person, if I post an online dating profile that states that I only date outside my own race, I'm progressive
1c: As a black person, if I post an online dating profile that states that I only date within my own race, I'm human
1d: As a black person, if I post an online dating profile that states that I only date outside my own race, I'm progressive

2b: If a black person wears white face, for any reason, he/she is being empowered.

3a: If a man, in his online dating profile, states that for him to consider a woman worth dating, she must have a job, a car, and her own place to live, he's misogynistic.
3b: If a woman, in her online dating profile, states that for her to consider a man worth dating, he must have a job, a car, and her own place to live, she's empowering herself.

4: As an employer, I have two applicants who have equal qualifications. One applicant is male, unmarried, no children. The other is a woman, unmarried, three children. The man is available to me during any of my scheduled business hours, and has a great deal of flexibility as far as his schedule. The woman cannot work weekends or evenings, and has informed me that she may need several days off each month, and may be required to leave early during her shifts to take care of her children. I only have one available job.
4b: I hire the woman despite her limited availability, and suddenly my business is a feminist ally.

Why is it that society allows such double standards to exist. Feminism, Civil Rights, and other such movements claim to be about equality, but this is not equality. Take all of the examples listed as 1. 1a is the only one that gets treated as a racist, but all 4 are clear examples of racist thought. How is this equality, and why is it Politically Correct? To me, this is anything but equality, and is a direct slap in the face from these movements that seek such things.

Discuss

About the only this to discuss is how pretty much all of those double standards are in your head.

Said it once, I've said it a thousand times: no one is more bigoted towards white people than white people's own fantacies.
The only thing you appear to be adding to the discussion, besides your bigotry, is your inability to spell the word "fantasies."

I can only assume that your pathetic, uninformative post is the product of your inability to bring up any kind of counterpoint to what has been posted. But, just for the sake of argument, please explain how it is NOT a double standard.

What can I say; your fear of your own shadow is pretty much unassailable, and that is the point of my post. Everything you listed is all in your head, so there is not much anyone can do to break you of your dream world. You have to choose to live in reality.

If you have ever been on dating sites, you would know that TONS of white people list "white" as their preference, with no one asserting them to be racists. Black people who have worn white face have been criticized for doing so. So on and so forth.
A Mythic Angel
Riviera de la Mancha
I-Chiaroscuro-I

User Image
And I'll just leave this here.....

And don't forget this...

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Hell Rides With GSK
It is indefensible, really. Don't disagree.

Only trouble is, some of those things aren't exactly what you call....common.

This. Double standards are bullshit but I don't see most of these as being things that society embraces at large.
I-Chiaroscuro-I

Give me a break. No one was saying we're powerless you toad.

Actually, you were.

Quote:
Black Supremacy is an actual thing btw. Just ask the New Black Panthers. You know, that Domestic Terror Group that was given a free pass to openly advocate for white genocide by the 3 most racist people in the country: (Yeah, somehow the New Black Panthers are okay, but the KKK isn't.. Yay double-standards!)

Remind me; who exactly thinks the New Black Panther Party is "okay"? Those racist clowns barely number into the double digits at last check, not to mention they were stupid enough to try to intimidate voters into voting for Obama in districts THAT ALREADY OVERWHELMINGLY VOTED OBAMA. Not exactly a fearful band of shadow warriors, those guys.

Conservative Genius

8,925 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
There is no such thing as equality. There never has been, and there never will be. All you find is just another system of privilege.

Unbeatable Survivor

19,450 Points
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Falling For You 25
A Mythic Angel

Discuss

It's very simple to wrap this up.. go watch this movie...

If you chose to not watch the link here's what I think..
Your glossing over a large amount of American history not that you'd see in the
so called history books, your want real evidence do some real research, not just what you have heard.

1] if you chose not to day someone basted on race/skin color. And not from a religious, economical standing, traditional point.

2] Again if you don't want to date someone, only because your looking for the same traditions, religion, language... ect then no that person isn't racist there just looking again for what they know.

3] On the other hand why is it ok to call anyone that would employs the best person for the job a misogynistic. In your example the employer would employ the male as he knows he can count on him for more work, while the female might have to leave to take care of her children when they become ill. The employer would loss profit.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
My Dog Mr. Kitty
SparkyKid3000
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Hell Rides With GSK
I-Chiaroscuro-I

What do white folks have?

Oh not much, just the bulk of control of every government, military, corporate, and religious institution.

But I'm that's not nearly as powerful as coalitions of black chefs and hotel owners.

On a serious note; I reject this "white privilege" garbage myself as well, and find it just a beat stick for people to make whites feel guilty for being born white, but to suggest we're powerless is just as idiotic.

When a group of people are ~10% of a population (I think it's closer to 12%, but it's around there in America), they shouldn't be angry when their place in society is also low

Not to mention that because of a relatively lower emphasis on education in popular black culture, there will be fewer highly educated blacks in this country, without there ever being anyone keeping them down. Anyone in America can get a good education and move up the financial ladder. It's about who's smart enough and has enough drive

I find this VERY hard to believe when the quality of education is so damn low in poor communities.

People can move

But if you're in a situation where you can't, schools offer after school tutoring and the like

People can move? Remember I said these are poor communities. After-school tutoring does nothing to improve the quality of the education.

4,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
SparkyKid3000
My Dog Mr. Kitty
SparkyKid3000
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Hell Rides With GSK
I-Chiaroscuro-I

What do white folks have?

Oh not much, just the bulk of control of every government, military, corporate, and religious institution.

But I'm that's not nearly as powerful as coalitions of black chefs and hotel owners.

On a serious note; I reject this "white privilege" garbage myself as well, and find it just a beat stick for people to make whites feel guilty for being born white, but to suggest we're powerless is just as idiotic.

When a group of people are ~10% of a population (I think it's closer to 12%, but it's around there in America), they shouldn't be angry when their place in society is also low

Not to mention that because of a relatively lower emphasis on education in popular black culture, there will be fewer highly educated blacks in this country, without there ever being anyone keeping them down. Anyone in America can get a good education and move up the financial ladder. It's about who's smart enough and has enough drive

I find this VERY hard to believe when the quality of education is so damn low in poor communities.

People can move

But if you're in a situation where you can't, schools offer after school tutoring and the like

People can move? Remember I said these are poor communities. After-school tutoring does nothing to improve the quality of the education.
Yes many people can move

Sure it does. If you're in a high school that doesn't teach math very well, meet with an after school tutor and learn it then. You get your diploma, and you know the material well

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Yes many people can move

Sure it does. If you're in a high school that doesn't teach math very well, meet with an after school tutor and learn it then. You get your diploma, and you know the material well

Your middle school solutions don't work for lower class communities.
Riviera de la Mancha
I-Chiaroscuro-I

User Image

4,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
SparkyKid3000
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Yes many people can move

Your middle school solutions don't work for lower class communities.

Your insults don't keep my points from being any less valid

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces