Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Shopper

Omorose Panya
LilPinkCandy
It costs money and materials to make an ID so it should not be free. Now, I think it should be cheap since its not a license. Like I said, the difference between $4 and $30 is substantial. I don't think that $10 every 3 years is difficult even for someone without a lot of money.
It depends on what "free" means here. If you're saying that they shouldn't get paid for at all, then I can understand the objection, as that is nonsensical; but if you are arguing that each individual should be charged specifically for it because it costs money, as opposed to tax money funding it, then I must object---not to ese details specifically, but to the general idea that individuals must pay into specific programs up front because the service costs money to provide. There are plenty of publicly-funded services that are getting along just fine.

User ImageEach individual is already charged when they go and get an ID card. I'm just saying it should be cheaper since it is now required for voting. I'm horrified that here it costs $30 and somewhere else it costs only $4. I never knew that and thought it was like $30ish like everywhere. That's insane to charge so much when its so little in other places. Of course perhaps the places that have it cheaper pay taxes into the service. I have no idea since I do not live there.

Wheezing Prophet

7,350 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
LilPinkCandy
Omorose Panya
LilPinkCandy
It costs money and materials to make an ID so it should not be free. Now, I think it should be cheap since its not a license. Like I said, the difference between $4 and $30 is substantial. I don't think that $10 every 3 years is difficult even for someone without a lot of money.
It depends on what "free" means here. If you're saying that they shouldn't get paid for at all, then I can understand the objection, as that is nonsensical; but if you are arguing that each individual should be charged specifically for it because it costs money, as opposed to tax money funding it, then I must object---not to ese details specifically, but to the general idea that individuals must pay into specific programs up front because the service costs money to provide. There are plenty of publicly-funded services that are getting along just fine.

Each individual is already charged when they go and get an ID card. I'm just saying it should be cheaper since it is now required for voting. I'm horrified that here it costs $30 and somewhere else it costs only $4. I never knew that and thought it was like $30ish like everywhere. That's insane to charge so much when its so little in other places. Of course perhaps the places that have it cheaper pay taxes into the service. I have no idea since I do not live there.
I wonder if charging for IDs would qualify as a form of poll tax, which is unconstitutional.

Fashionable Shopper

Omorose Panya
LilPinkCandy
Omorose Panya
LilPinkCandy

Each individual is already charged when they go and get an ID card. I'm just saying it should be cheaper since it is now required for voting. I'm horrified that here it costs $30 and somewhere else it costs only $4. I never knew that and thought it was like $30ish like everywhere. That's insane to charge so much when its so little in other places. Of course perhaps the places that have it cheaper pay taxes into the service. I have no idea since I do not live there.
I wonder if charging for IDs would qualify as a form of poll tax, which is unconstitutional.

User ImageI honestly don't know. I'm only for IDs basically because I think proving who you say you are is important when doing something so official as voting. A state ID/license is something you should just have in some form or another anyway. Making them cheaper or just mandating you get one for security purposes (such as accidents, etc) wouldn't be so bad really. But if you do that then you should be having a tax you pay into and your license should then also be cheaper since the drivers will not need an actual ID but a license. Overall, I think that school (such as college or even high school for the newly 18 year old kids) IDs should also count if you also bring official mail of some sort as well.

In short I don't think they should be so expensive that people don't want to obtain it so they don't vote. I think that's horrible and shady. I think its horrible that in some places it is really cheap and in others its like an arm and a leg when comparing cost. I don't think its bad to have to prove who you are though so that you prevent voting fraud. I think the system obviously needs work.
LilPinkCandy
Omorose Panya
LilPinkCandy
Omorose Panya
LilPinkCandy

User ImageI honestly don't know. I'm only for IDs basically because I think proving who you say you are is important when doing something so official as voting. A state ID/license is something you should just have in some form or another anyway. Making them cheaper or just mandating you get one for security purposes (such as accidents, etc) wouldn't be so bad really. But if you do that then you should be having a tax you pay into and your license should then also be cheaper since the drivers will not need an actual ID but a license. Overall, I think that school (such as college or even high school for the newly 18 year old kids) IDs should also count if you also bring official mail of some sort as well.

In short I don't think they should be so expensive that people don't want to obtain it so they don't vote. I think that's horrible and shady. I think its horrible that in some places it is really cheap and in others its like an arm and a leg when comparing cost. I don't think its bad to have to prove who you are though so that you prevent voting fraud. I think the system obviously needs work.

The pre-existing standards (whatever they are) haven't really been opening the door to significant fraud along this avenue, as proven by numerous investigations into the issue.

This is, as they say, a solution in search of a problem. At best it's a do-nothing endeavor to make it look like they're doing something; at worst, it's a cynical attempt to skew the voter turnout in their favor. And neither is something I can actually endorse.

Fashionable Shopper

Kaosgirl
LilPinkCandy
Omorose Panya
LilPinkCandy
Omorose Panya
LilPinkCandy

The pre-existing standards (whatever they are) haven't really been opening the door to significant fraud along this avenue, as proven by numerous investigations into the issue.

This is, as they say, a solution in search of a problem. At best it's a do-nothing endeavor to make it look like they're doing something; at worst, it's a cynical attempt to skew the voter turnout in their favor. And neither is something I can actually endorse.

User ImageThere have been issues with people voting for dead people. I would think that presenting an ID would actually help with that. I don't find presenting an ID card to be an issue as long as the IDs are easily obtainable which in my area they are quite expensive depending on your income.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff