Welcome to Gaia! ::

Actually homophobe has two meanings. Fear of homosexuald or Extreme hate of homosexuals.
As for myself, I'm the latter.
Most of the time people think homophobe is a negative thing. I however find it as a neutral word, much like hateing spinach or ketchup.
I do realize parts of my argument have already been mentioned.

You logic is very, very flawed. "Homo," in all truth, means "pure," but has been commonly associated with "same." From your argument, homophobe would simply mean either fear of purity or fear of same/unchanging. Yet you claim it means fear of homosexuality in root words alone. Tell me, where is sexuality at all mentioned in "homophobia?"

You have not defined fear. From what I understand, fear is a large dislike that produces a certain emotion. Emotions, however, are purely interpretive, not definitive.

There is also no reason to say that hate is not formed from fear or vice versa, especially when there is little to no information on the subconscious and unconscious minds.

Lastly, do you actually believe that every person knowledgeable on the English language will substitute one word because of what one ignorant person thinks. We are all ignorant on every subject at some point, and there is no doubt with you.

3,550 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Full closet 200
And people who use the word "retarded" to describe people who use the word "homophobe" are retarded.

3,550 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Full closet 200
zman0305
I am not making a statement either in support or against gay marriage or other issues. However, I am alarmed by the rampant stupidity in American society, typified by the use of the word "Homophobe."

The suffix phobe means "fear." Thus, homophobe indicates that the persons described fear homosexuals. Any idiot can see this is not the case in the vast majority of so called "homophobes." Most of these people do not fear homosexuals, but rather disapprove of their actions.

Calling people who disapprove of homosexual actions homophobes is like saying Germans feared the Jews. They did not fear them, they hated them and wanted to exploit them.

Please stop labeling yourself as a retard and use correct English.

You could also say that homophobes fear humans too. Wait, no that's anthropophobia.

(Neat fact, amusing too. The fear of a Black President is known as Baracknophobia. XD)
It is stupid to argue the meaning of any word really. Language is always changing.

Holocaust used to mean burnt offering. Does anyone under 50 relate that word to anything except a brutal slaughtering anymore?

So yes. Homophobe did originally mean someone that feared homosexuals. Now, it could mean to some people anyone who disapproves of homosexuals.

Eloquent Bibliophile

zman0305
I am not making a statement either in support or against gay marriage or other issues. However, I am alarmed by the rampant stupidity in American society, typified by the use of the word "Homophobe."

(emphasis mine)

So why are you using the word "gay" then?

The root of "gay" is Old French "gai", meaning "merry". You are using it to refer to a person who is sexually attracted solely to the same sex. This is a meaning even further warped and even more "wrong" than the one you're complaining about.
cyropi
zman0305

(emphasis mine)

The root of "gay" is Old French "gai", meaning "merry". You are using it to refer to a person who is sexually attracted solely to the same sex. This is a meaning even further warped and even more "wrong" than the one you're complaining about.
Irony is fun biggrin

Snarky Genius

4,975 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tycoon 200
zman0305
The suffix phobe means "fear." Thus, homophobe indicates that the persons described fear homosexuals. Any idiot can see this is not the case in the vast majority of so called "homophobes." Most of these people do not fear homosexuals, but rather disapprove of their actions.

You obviously don't know the root of discrimination. It is always based on fear. People who disapprove of homosexual actions are often afraid of what they're supposedly going to do to society. For instance, many people equate homosexuality with ***** giving them a reason to fear homosexual society based on the illogical fear that they will march on the world's children.

Quote:
Calling people who disapprove of homosexual actions homophobes is like saying Germans feared the Jews. They did not fear them, they hated them and wanted to exploit them.

The German's did fear the Jews. The whole reason the Holocaust was able to exist was that Hitler convinced the German people that the Jewish people were there to steal German jobs and to further destroy the German economy. The natural reaction was violence in the form of the Holocaust.

Quote:
Please stop labeling yourself as a retard and use correct English.

Please start learning the roots of words and the roots of social problems a little bit better.

Eloquent Bibliophile

Hella Bad Scrub
cyropi
zman0305

(emphasis mine)

Irony is fun biggrin

I am deeply fond of it <3
cyropi
Hella Bad Scrub
cyropi
zman0305

(emphasis mine)

Irony is fun biggrin

Sure, it has its roots. However in daily language gay = homosexual. Nit-picking dont change the way we use language.

Just out of curiousity, anyone know exactly how did the word gay come to mean homosexuals?
Doesn't "Homo" mean "Same"
and since everybody know that "Phobia"
is a fear of,
Homophobia technically means
" Same Fear" or " Fear of Same"
or " Fear of things that are the same"
Quote:
Despite its general shortcomings etymologically, the word can be used to describe the fear of a heterosexual that they will be approached romantically by someone of the same sex. It also can describe the apparently fear-based reactions of recoiling from unintentional close contact with another male or of being in close proximity to other males in certain situations such as while in the restroom. These are typically fear-based reactions, but the fear is usually that of the social stigma of being labelled homosexual.

In the Phobia list:
Quote:
Homophobia- Fear of sameness, monotony or of homosexuality or of becoming homosexual.
Soaked_In_Octane
cyropi
Hella Bad Scrub
cyropi
zman0305

(emphasis mine)

Irony is fun biggrin

Sure, it has its roots. However in daily language gay = homosexual. Nit-picking dont change the way we use language.

Just out of curiousity, anyone know exactly how did the word gay come to mean homosexuals?
The original nitpicker in question was the OP. If he decides to nitpick over how a word is used, then he better be ready to receive some nitpicking on his part, imo
Hella Bad Scrub
Soaked_In_Octane
cyropi
Hella Bad Scrub
cyropi
zman0305

(emphasis mine)

Irony is fun biggrin

The original nitpicker in question was the OP. If he decides to nitpick over how a word is used, then he better be ready to receive some nitpicking on his part, imo

He wasnt nitpicking, he was just ignorant of the other meaning of the word homophobia.
It can mean fear, however it can also mean hate. He was just ignorant about the second part.
Soaked_In_Octane
Hella Bad Scrub
Soaked_In_Octane
cyropi
Hella Bad Scrub
Irony is fun biggrin

He wasnt nitpicking, he was just ignorant of the other meaning of the word homophobia.
It can mean fear, however it can also mean hate. He was just ignorant about the second part.
intr.v. nit·picked, nit·pick·ing, nit·picks
To be concerned with or find fault with insignificant details

He was already informed of the meaning on the very first page, and I'm sure he knew it already. His concern is that the roots don't match the actual word in question and would prefer that there be a completely new word made up using what he feels are the proper prefixes. If that ain't nitpicking, I don't know what is
one could argue that the idea of "fear" could be correct in that work as fear is a abstract idea. one may be able to argue that homophobic people see homosexual behaviour as a break from the social norms, and therefore may feel fear, which leads to their actions. however if one applies Freudian ideas to this then homophobic people may be having subconsious homosexual thoughts and may find themselves afraid afraid of these thoughts as they feel that these thoughts break pre-existing feelings on homosexual behaviour and therefore carry out their homophobic behaviour

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff