Welcome to Gaia! ::

10,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I don't celebrate Christmas, because I'm Jewish, not Christian. Simple as that. I feel odd about St Valentine's Day. And, have never really celebrated it, so that doesn't really pertain to me. I'm cool with people who do celebrate Christmas, as long as they don't shove it down my throat. Oh, and calling something like 'Holiday Fest', when it clearly is for one holiday is silly. I do appreciate it when people in retail say Happy Holidays, because everyone has some sort of holiday. Even if it's just New Year's or something. It's a lot more inclusive then Merry Christmas. Which is just off putting to people who don't celebrate it. Feels cold, rather than spreading 'good cheer'.

It's bad enough that we see decorations for Christmas, and hear the music earlier and earlier each year. Also, since there weren't that many non-Christians in the area when I went to school here, there were Christmas projects, and extra credit stuff related to it. It felt wrong to me. The schools and some of the clubs I was apart of had Christmas parties, too. I didn't go, and didn't do those projects. Also, they held our high school 'winter' concert at a church, and would have really religious songs in it. I refused to play most of them. I felt extremely uncomfortable sitting there with a giant cross in front of my face. When it's not your religion, it's not a good feeling. They had let me play one or two 'Jewish' songs, but it made it even weirder. Most of the time I did them solo, and they were really just folk tunes. Things that are stereotypical.

But, I do love to help out friends with their decorations and such. It's different because it's helping or hanging out with a friend. I never actually celebrate with them.
Serpentskirt
Carbonated Becel 101

so you celebrate winter equinox, but you refuse to celebrate Christmas, which is the celebration of the winter equinox, because you are an atheist.

Not in Christmas-related ways, even though I understand that Christmas traditions come from old pagan festivals. Christmas is about the birth of Christ, after all...

I might as well ask if you celebrate Hanukkah and Christmas and Yule and every other winter solstice holiday just because they're all winter solstice holidays.

yule and xmas are same thing to me
i celebrate a cultural holiday which involves a decorated tree, presents, a family fight, and eating a bunch of seasonal food. it is like thanksgiving with presents and different decorations.
there is no jesus involved in it.

(also, a lot of devout christians see thanksgiving as a reason to go to church, and that is not a religious holiday)
Dion Necurat
Carbonated Becel 101
DarkSohisohi
Carbonated Becel 101
Lastly, if you are going to make a point of NOT celebrating Xmas because you are not Christian or whatnot, please stop celebrating the Feast Day of St Valentine.
Christ is a deity, which I do not acknowledge. Saint Valentine was a mortal man, which I do recognize. So I will continue to celebrate one without celebrating the other on grounds of not being a christian.

Is winter a deity too? Because I thought it was a season.

I thought the existence of winter has been scientifically proven. Oh well, guess it's another thing invented by the Christians. Strange though, because there is no winter in the Bible.

Mind explaining this one? Because it basically looks like nonsense.

christmas is a holiday to celebrate the beginning of winter.
that jesus stuff was just added in there by the Catholic Church so they wouldn't go to hell for celebrating a pagan holiday

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Carbonated Becel 101
Dion Necurat
Carbonated Becel 101
DarkSohisohi
Carbonated Becel 101
Lastly, if you are going to make a point of NOT celebrating Xmas because you are not Christian or whatnot, please stop celebrating the Feast Day of St Valentine.
Christ is a deity, which I do not acknowledge. Saint Valentine was a mortal man, which I do recognize. So I will continue to celebrate one without celebrating the other on grounds of not being a christian.

Is winter a deity too? Because I thought it was a season.

I thought the existence of winter has been scientifically proven. Oh well, guess it's another thing invented by the Christians. Strange though, because there is no winter in the Bible.

Mind explaining this one? Because it basically looks like nonsense.

christmas is a holiday to celebrate the beginning of winter.
that jesus stuff was just added in there by the Catholic Church so they wouldn't go to hell for celebrating a pagan holiday

Well actually, the church incorporated the holiday in order to make conversion easier.

Hilarious Capitalist

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
I stopped getting Chirstmas presents when I was in 5th grade, hardships of being in a super strict family.
Assholes who sour holidays like that really are some of the worst types of people.

vegaspresent's Queen

Girl-Crazy Lover

12,425 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Gender Swap 100
Personally, if it wasn't for family, i wouldn't celebrate Christmas. Because by the time December 25 comes around, i'm already sick and tired of hearing and seeing Christmas crap every where. Unfortunately people make a big fuss over that damn holiday because our economy is dependent on people spending them selves into debt to make that holiday special, so we are bloody well dependent on that fat man's a**.

Also, don't get me started on the a** holes who get belligerent and pissed when you wish them "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."
Sounds to me like you're talking about a specific person. Maybe bring this very specific issue up with that person? There's not really enough of a sample size of "Celebrates Valentines, doesn't celebrate Christmas" people for you to really vent your frustrations like just calling someone a hypocrite to their face does.
I'll file that away with the other rants about people who don't actually exist, but rather are nothing more than an amalgamation of the authors own prejudices.
King Seth
Sounds to me like you're talking about a specific person. Maybe bring this very specific issue up with that person? There's not really enough of a sample size of "Celebrates Valentines, doesn't celebrate Christmas" people for you to really vent your frustrations like just calling someone a hypocrite to their face does.

I'm actually talking about a good chunk of people I know. Actually, I'm talking about every single person I know who is a non-Christian/non-atheists.
Basically it's all the immigrant people I know practicing religions that are not Christianity

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff