Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Is ... is this a joke?
burkowits
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/11/is-peanut-butter-and-jelly-racist_n_1874905.html

Basically because PB&J Sandwhiches are often considered the norm and spoken about as such in schools without regard to other ethnic staples such as tortillas or peta bread, it is a sign of white privilege and racism.

wat.

They then go to talk about a program where school staff members read news articles/ect and then read them from the point of view of "white privilege" . I can get behind this sort of. Reading contemporary news articles and contemplating/discussing/debating whether or not they come from a place of privilege seems like a reasonable thing.

But for God's sake, PB&J is racist? It isn't a white staple, it is an American staple.

Discuss.

I see the Huffingtonpost has recruited the finest Social Justice Sallies from across Tumblr and Reddit.
Jessi Danger
burkowits
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/11/is-peanut-butter-and-jelly-racist_n_1874905.html

Basically because PB&J Sandwhiches are often considered the norm and spoken about as such in schools without regard to other ethnic staples such as tortillas or peta bread, it is a sign of white privilege and racism.

wat.

They then go to talk about a program where school staff members read news articles/ect and then read them from the point of view of "white privilege" . I can get behind this sort of. Reading contemporary news articles and contemplating/discussing/debating whether or not they come from a place of privilege seems like a reasonable thing.

But for God's sake, PB&J is racist? It isn't a white staple, it is an American staple.

Discuss.

I see the Huffingtonpost has recruited the finest Social Justice Sallies from across Tumblr and Reddit.

Ah so they have a name for those idiots now?
New Thought Queen
Jessi Danger
burkowits

wat.

Discuss.

Just google Social Justice Sally, its even a meme
Jessi Danger
New Thought Queen
Jessi Danger
burkowits

wat.

Discuss.

I'm glad the world is sane enough to mock them, sometimes I wondered...
New Thought Queen
Jessi Danger
New Thought Queen
Jessi Danger
burkowits

wat.

Discuss.

I'm glad the world is sane enough to mock them, sometimes I wondered...

Well just looking at this thread, we already snagged one proud SJ sally .... x.x

They are mocked but they could use a bit more mocking.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
For ******** sake. You don't go to Japan and say rice is racist, do you?

A cultural food is a cultural food.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Xiam
For ******** sake. You don't go to Japan and say rice is racist, do you?

A cultural food is a cultural food.

EXACTLY. If you move to a whole new country, with a whole new culture, you're going to be exposed to new food. If I move to Kuwait or India and encounter a McDonalds that is vegetarian-only, I'm not going to ******** cry out oppression or that they all have a social stigma against people of my race because I can't get my slab of cow on a bun. Pointing out differences, especially differences in this moronic fashion, doesn't help anything.

And I'm sure if foreigners tried a PB&J, they'd freakin' love it. Especially when made with raspberry preserves... Mmmmmm.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
How silly, PB&J is by no means racist. Everyone, no matter the racial group or economic background can get access to some bread, peanut butter and jelly.
Unless PB&J stands for Peanut Butter and Jews, I really don't see how a sandwich could be racist.

Adored Admirer

Queen Shining Heaven
How silly, PB&J is by no means racist. Everyone, no matter the racial group or economic background can get access to some bread, peanut butter and jelly.

You're racist if you only like white bread for your PB&J.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Pseudo-Onkelos
Queen Shining Heaven

Was that supposed to be funny?
That's good, then, since I only eat whole wheat anyway

Adored Admirer

Queen Shining Heaven
Pseudo-Onkelos
Queen Shining Heaven

Was that supposed to be funny?
That's good, then, since I only eat whole wheat anyway

It was.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
New Thought Queen
Keltoi Samurai
New Thought Queen
Keltoi Samurai
New Thought Queen

Greek Cypriots (and some Mainlanders too) are basically identical to Hispanics honestly. Except they speak Greek and are Orthodox instead of Catholic.
They look the same, same volume, same sort of culture, etc. etc.
I've joked that I've ended up with one of the Puerto Rican boys I used to go to High School with.

It's nothing to do with Turks or Persians apperance wise though, just look where it is on a map lol. Way closer to the mid-east than the Mainland. I read that they think the genetic ancestors were folks from the Levant. The Hellenization happened later from Greek merchants.

but it looks like the closest bit of the Mainland to Cyprus is Turkey, so I figure the Turks almost had to have wielded some influence, historically.

Historically?? Oh my god yes. You have no idea.
Genetically? Not so much.

interesting.

this is actually all relevant to my interests, as one of my favorite pastimes is categorising "races" of humanity down to the point where it just becomes bulky and unwieldy. I've narrowed it down to the point where I have about 16 different "races" in France, alone ( that's counting Monacoans and not counting the Corsicans ), and about 20 different "races" of Irish.

it's always fun to point out "no, you're wrong! he's not 'Irish,' so much as he's clearly mixed Scots-Irish and Settled Celtic Irish Catholic!"

my goal with this is to get it honed down to the point where people beat me with many heavy things and finally realise we've a lot more in common than we have different from one another, and finally give this whole horseshit of "race" up.

The word you're looking for is "ethnic group" and the thing you're doing is part of anthropology basically.

yes, but the truth is, humans are all one race, all one species, and the differences we describe as "races" are really just differences in ethnicity, anyways, so what I'm doing is trying to make the usage of the term more accurately reflect what it's describing, which would then make it far too bulky a concept for the average person to worry about day-to-day, not to mention annoying since instead of five or six different categories, they suddenly are having to recognise a few thousand, at which point, I figure they'll finally just have to give up and realise we're all mostly the same, anyways.

basically, I'm making a better world through confusion and pedantry
Where's my homestuck "this is stupid" GIF when I need it...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff