Welcome to Gaia! ::

So here's a bit of a rant on Pansexuality.
Note: I'm not homophobic. I'm just annoyed by hypocrisy.

Pansexual: Pansexual refers to someone who is attracted to other people regardless of their gender.

Pansexual: Some one who doesn't care what gender people are, or what they define themselves as.

Alright, so you get the idea.
Pansexuals kinda come across as people who refuse to follow the in crowd of being full out gay/lesbian, or bisexual.
My opinion, it's just another term for bisexual.
I've had far too many pansexuals yell at me for saying that, so here's my logic.

They claim to love someone for who they are, instead of their gender. That's really nice and all, but when you're constantly saying "that girl has nice tits", or "that guy is so hot"... What?
You just told me you love people for who they are, no matter what their gender. So after saying this, you're going to proceed to point out a person's specific body parts to their gender.

Maybe I'm just interpreting this the wrong way?
Yeah, carry on.
Pansexuals reject the idea of a gender binary that is proposed by terms like "bisexual."

Gender isn't a checklist; you don't pick the one that fits you best.

It's a sliding scale.

Pansexuals are open to any part of the scale.

Shirtless Initiate

12,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Timid 100
  • Invisibility 100
I'm not sure about other people who consider themselves pansexual, but I have a hard time accepting gender as thing let alone something to base attraction off of. I wasn't raised with "this is girl stuff, this is boy stuff." I liked dolls and tonka trucks. I didn't understand why there were no boys in my ballet class. I went with the flow, but didn't really get, why other girls in my elementary school were so hung up on liking boys. Didn't they find other girls attractive? I didn't get the new kids in my school when they were confused about the gender of another person in the school simply because of the way she dressed. She wasn't offended if you asked how she preferred to be addressed, or you could pay attention to what others referred to her as. She was... her. There was nothing confusing about her role to me. This was before I understood anything to do with gender. It just wasn't a part of how I grew up or was taught - I've always been pretty firm in my beliefs, and my beliefs on gender were internalized young and haven't swayed. I don't even personally identify with a gender, but don't mind being referred to as a male or a female or as gender neutral. It just doesn't matter to me and I've found I don't see people as being their gender. Gender roles are very subjective. I don't have a good emotional grasp on gender - I do sort of get it from a logical point of view (in X culture, girls can wear this and are this way in social interactions, boys can wear this and are this way in social interactions, blah blah). I know it's important to other people though, so I don't like saying gender doesn't exist simply because I don't view it as being "real." It's hard to word.
But because of that I don't really see bisexual as accurate for me - it refers to two genders I don't really... acknowledge? That's such bad wording. gonk
I do think people have nice butts and will refer to a person by what appears to be their accepted gender. I do say "wow, she has a nice butt." That doesn't make me not pansexual. Butts are not genders. They're a physical characteristic most people have. I like them regardless of gender. emotion_dowant

Woh, ramble text.
tl;dr: I grew up basically taught there are no such thing as gender roles. I internalized that young. I don't have a tie to a gender identity myself but am not at odds with my sex. The lack of emotional understanding (vs. logical understanding) of gender has led me to feel pansexual defines me better than bisexual. Butts are not genders. I can like physical characteristics and still be pansexual.

Greedy Consumer

Trigr Warning
Pansexuals reject the idea of a gender binary that is proposed by terms like "bisexual."

It's a sliding scale.

and all the way to one end of the scale is heterosexual
what else would I call it?
99% straight? lol
We Are Organisms
Trigr Warning

It's a sliding scale.

99% straight? lol

Look up the "Kinsey Scale."

Greedy Consumer

Trigr Warning
We Are Organisms
Trigr Warning

It's a sliding scale.

99% straight? lol

I already generally know what it is, I just mean there are words for a reason and anybody could make a scale doesnt mean it should be used and is somehow better than the lables society invented. We have alot of words for sexuality.

Shirtless Initiate

12,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Timid 100
  • Invisibility 100
We Are Organisms
Trigr Warning

It's a sliding scale.

99% straight? lol

Gender scale = sexuality scale? confused
We Are Organisms
Trigr Warning
We Are Organisms
Trigr Warning

It's a sliding scale.

99% straight? lol

I already generally know what it is, I just mean there are words for a reason and anybody could make a scale doesnt mean it should be used and is somehow better than the lables society invented. We have alot of words for sexuality.

What I'm saying is that the fact that it would be impossible to have a word for every point along the scale

is a reason to not really use labels. I don't like them.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Carehh

They claim to love someone for who they are, instead of their gender. That's really nice and all, but when you're constantly saying "that girl has nice tits", or "that guy is so hot"... What?
You just told me you love people for who they are, no matter what their gender. So after saying this, you're going to proceed to point out a person's specific body parts to their gender.

If you love someone for X reason that means you're disallowed from liking other things? Yes, exactly the logic I'd expect from someone who bumps that many times in a slow moving forum where bumping is against the rules.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff