Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you ever read comments whenever you visit a site?

Yes! All the time! 0.18421052631579 18.4% [ 7 ]
Yes. Sometimes. 0.52631578947368 52.6% [ 20 ]
No. 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
What comments? 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
POLL!!! 0.28947368421053 28.9% [ 11 ]
Total Votes:[ 38 ]
< 1 2

The digital world gives those without a voice the illusion of anonymity, so that those who fear to speak in public may do so online. The modern word for these people can be "troll". However there are those who comment not to strike anger, but sincerely because that is their point of view. I do believe there is a difference between trolling and pushing your own views onto others. If a troll is bothering you within the comments of a site you may do a few things. I will name two. One: you can choose to disregard the troll and carry on with other conversations within the comments or Two: You can choose to confront the troll with a response. If you do choose to confront a troll, beware because the trolls goal is just to make you mad. In the case of conversationalists there are many viewers who comment on LGBT related videos and say that "the gays are going to hell" or anti-abortionists posting things like "You're a murderer and you should be in jail for killing that child." Although I do not agree with these opinions, I believe that they are rooted in ignorance of the unknown. Trolls seem to post out of anger, while others seem to post out of opinion. Either way, there are many offensive posts on many websites. Go take a look at controversial issues in social media and take a look at the comments. I hope that I offered enough to this discussion. Thank you for those who have read my words.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
shadowswhiskers13 -
Exoth XIII
Whaaaat?

I didn't actually think a five year old would be ABLE to have kids.
What with menstruation not beginning till puberty and all.
I emo 'd think you could only have kids after age 10....
Precocious puberty is rare but happens
Young King under Heaven

Youtube still has the downvote opinion; now, though, it just removes a thumbs up rather than being something on its own

No, it's non-functional. The counter only counts how many thumbs up a comment gets. Giving a thumbs down doesn't remove anything.

Shirtless Strawberry

14,800 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Partygoer 500
Honestly, that sounds like Youtube. The majority of the video have comments that are unrelated to the video. Mostly arguments. This is why the many Youtubers disable their comments or use Reddit and Twitter to stay in contact with their fans. Seems like there is more of a connection on those sites than on Youtube.

But as someone said, it is the Internet. Get used to it.

Also, that is messed up about the five year old. She is only a baby and having a baby. Poor girl. Surprised she could have a child at that age because of puberty normally happens at a later age.
Thats a sad subject, young young girls with children.

But on the topic of comments on the internet PopSci magazine made a good argument for why they shut off comments a while back. And it points out that terrible comments are not a YouTube-exclusive thing and can pop up everywhere to derail discussion.

Honestly on the internet its a never-ending balance between opening up dialogue to normally excluded voices and keeping inanity and bad logic out of a site.

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Most comments I saw were asking who impregnated her. If this happened today, child services would have been up that families a** faster than you can say "wait who raped a five year old". At least I'd like to think that. Sometimes people will turn their back to horrible things for stability.

I guess one person started this discussion chain about how the general reaction to the vid would be different if the people were black. Thats true for any you tube vid. Expect at least one dumbass comment about a racial stereotype that has nothing to do with anything on screen.

Timid Star

6,800 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Novice Attacker 150
It is unfortunate that a lot of people will sit there in their free time and just post/comment the most crude and ******** up things anyone could ever say. It has become so common anymore that I just turn the other way. It's inevitable.

I was on Facebook the other day and came across a picture of a young autistic child's "school work", where he/she was asked to take a list of words and place them in alphabetical order. Instead of taking the group of words and alphabetizing them, they alphabetized the LETTERS in the words. So many people posted such negative comments such as, "They shouldn't get praised for not following directions" and "They're stupid because they're autistic". I personally think the kid thought outside the box, which in the comments I have read following this post, not too many people even CAN think outside the box.

Humans will be humans. I would prefer not to socialize or even breed with such disgusting pieces of bone-filled flesh sacks but we can't always get our way. As I mentioned at first, I just turn the other way anymore.

Super Giver

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
One strange comment on youtube was: I AM GOD. I CAN DO ANYTHING.BOW BEFORE ME.

yes, those were the words( exact or similar). I forgot who wrote that and I forgot which video as well. It was part of an argument between a deluded person and a logical person who was simply trying to correct that person's grammar.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff