Welcome to Gaia! ::

Exoth XIII
Jorgunmandr
Exoth XIII

He who trades a little liberty for safety deserves neither.
The premise of modern democracy is that trade. After all the Majority is supposed to protect and serve the interests of the future of the nation. That may not be in the interest of everyone. Loss to the individual at the cost of gain to the populace is the best course of action in democracy. So I guess ... no one deserves liberty in a rule dictated by tyranny.

When the strongest resistance they can muster is standing around until Uncle Sam tells them their permit's run out, then yes, I'd argue that they don't deserve liberty.
At such levels of occupants what other form of order is there? A peaceful protest has to be organized and though there are plenty of leaders there are no followers in a society that worships individualism with no common enemy. The uprisings of today are simply misguided; the people do not have a strong leader nor do they have a strong purpose; they may have a good cause but protesting to free a dog can be a good cause it doesn't necessarily make it world changing or worth the attention of hundreds of people. This is modern day, as far as I can see, civil disobedience.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm against any form of government that doesn't put me, or someone else competent, at the head of things.
You clearly cannot support democracy on such a scale as even a million citizens strong.

Not unless they are, at least in the majority, not ******** retarded.
Unless political discourse and philosophy is taught in schools retard and genius alike are ignorant. Then again the core subjects alike create robotic retards; intelligence only shows at higher levels of core subjects but until then it's just info retention and rote learning with very little emphasis on reasoning.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

They don't even need force. All they need is commitment, the will necessary to tell the government, as they try to clear 'em out, "******** you, you can't move us." Even that, while it wouldn't accomplish their goal, it would at least actually BE a demonstration.
Not all force is physical. What you've stated is an example of force. An organized demand versus the wilting that people oft express.

"Wilting." How apropos.
I wish it were not. The bitter irony is that many citizens feel the same way but somehow never find one another. Even with the advent of the internet keeping the people at bay by institutionalizing and encouraging individualism to obscure the idea of banding together works wonders. Old people vote in record numbers because they've seen through the trick and spiritual philosophies somehow escaped the mauling of individualism, but in my opinion with people never being taught about politics, involved at a young age, and told to 'think for themselves' instead of 'think, listen, learn, and grow as a group' you have modern day 1st-world. Sadly this is global as seen in any population of a certain size.
Terrifying. Why is this happening?

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Jorgunmandr
Unless political discourse and philosophy is taught in schools retard and genius alike are ignorant.

Do you really think kids will pay attention to classes that serve so little purpose in the careers they plan to have? When I was in high school, out of my entire class, a class of over 1,000, there were five kids in AP calc. Same five in AP physics, etc.
It's not the school's fault. If anything, blame it on the parents, for failing to teach their kids to be curious.
Exoth XIII
Jorgunmandr
Unless political discourse and philosophy is taught in schools retard and genius alike are ignorant.

Do you really think kids will pay attention to classes that serve so little purpose in the careers they plan to have? When I was in high school, out of my entire class, a class of over 1,000, there were five kids in AP calc. Same five in AP physics, etc.
It's not the school's fault. If anything, blame it on the parents, for failing to teach their kids to be curious.
To be honest I do believe that if ingrained people will take care to pay attention to things that they are to be active in. The citizen is currently disconnected from his own countries policies and this is the fault of the community which means the society itself on all levels from the home to the public school to just public discourse. It isn't curiosity that is lacking but rather a real drive to be apart: In a nation where people feel that their vote is worthless anyway why waste time learning about political candidates and reading bills they are passing to law when you can play the newest console? Whatever the law it probably won't effect you anyway, right?

There is only one thing that is true: People are drawn primarily to what they are active in. If they are active in their community they become a part of it, both locally and globally, seeking to do their part. However this isn't the case today; most of us are about as apart of the community, driven by the sheer urge to be in the community, as we are driven to work on a farm all day.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Jorgunmandr
In a nation where people feel that their vote is worthless anyway why waste time learning about political candidates and reading bills they are passing to law when you can play the newest console? Whatever the law it probably won't effect you anyway, right?

This is the rationalization people use, as they kill their curiosity.
Why should I bother learning this? When will it be useful in my life?
Curiosity is what causes people to become active in new areas.
Out of curiosity, I became a magician. Out of curiosity, I became a martial artist. Out of curiosity, I learned quantum physics.
Curiosity is a driving force, and it is absolutely butchered in the name of pragmatism.
Exoth XIII
Jorgunmandr
In a nation where people feel that their vote is worthless anyway why waste time learning about political candidates and reading bills they are passing to law when you can play the newest console? Whatever the law it probably won't effect you anyway, right?

Out of curiosity, I became a magician. Out of curiosity, I became a martial artist. Out of curiosity, I learned quantum physics.
Curiosity is a driving force, and it is absolutely butchered in the name of pragmatism.
Curiosity is not enough. It never was. You see curiosity is the will to dabble not the will to continue or excel in any particular area. You sought something out, say martial arts, in curiosity but the dedication to continue lies elsewhere; either that or you did not get very far. Few would be curious to the extent that they would simply wonder what the next level is like for however long it takes. I do think that the missing link is integration; it's one thing to play Gaia for instance and be exposed to new ideas and it's another to take those tangents and learn and delve for yourself and I believe it is the drive to know, to incorporate, and to master whether it be so you are just knowledgeable or because of something deeper that creates this happening.

I do also agree that curiosity is being murdered though. Ironically moreso by the public than anything; I do not blame homelife.
Jorgunmandr
When I Leave This World
I mean spying that is being done by government officials. I am well aware that individual citizens are capable of this, but it is somewhat hard to do and there are legal implications depending on the circumstances surrounding the matter.

Frankly I could care less if someone 'stalked' me on the internet. When the government is able to do it I am concerned. Not for myself so much but for controversial websites I like to visit.
This is funny because you're upset when the government is looking at you but not when private citizens, the ones more likely to do you harm, are? Truth is you have no escape; you can play coy with the idea all you want but there are very few things in relation to data that the govt. cannot do that only private citizens can. If you are willing to be followed by the private investigator why make the government pay a citizen to do what they can without the middle man?

You have to download a spyware type program in order for a private citizen to gain access to your info. If you are smart enough, chances are you won't do that. By stalking, I picture someone following my account from topic to topic here on gaia, or some other site, which isn't a big deal to me.
In truth the government already has access to all this data, they just need to jump through a hoop or two for it to be used against me (if it could). This bill effectively eliminates that. I don't like it.

Fanged Witch

11,115 Points
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
Jorgunmandr
It isn't age it's progression. The Internet did not exist 300 years ago. There was no such concept of even a refrigerator thus there were no laws on such. To say that the Constitution should be prepared would be like saying any old document should apply to today's newer technologies on how it should be handled. The essential truth is that ( as it was designed to be ) the constitution needs to be undone and redone to adapt to the age in which it lies. Humans cling to documents that honestly have no value in this age; 300 years ago due process was far easier than it is now, and those law and ethics have progressed, the basis for these things is no longer any good because the medium for the crimes has changed drastically.
In fact, ice (and thus the concept of a refrigerator) was used since the middle ages to keep aliments from rotting. /random thought

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Jorgunmandr
Exoth XIII
Jorgunmandr

Curiosity is not enough. It never was. You see curiosity is the will to dabble not the will to continue or excel in any particular area. You sought something out, say martial arts, in curiosity but the dedication to continue lies elsewhere; either that or you did not get very far.

Lost 120 lbs, and can throw 6 strong punches in a second.
When I'm exploring something new, "dabbling" isn't enough to sate my curiosity; it whets the appetite for knowledge at most. Curiosity is enough, if you possess it to a great enough extent.
Quote:
it's one thing to play Gaia for instance and be exposed to new ideas and it's another to take those tangents and learn and delve for yourself and I believe it is the drive to know, to incorporate, and to master whether it be so you are just knowledgeable or because of something deeper that creates this happening.

The drive to know, and to master, is, in my opinion, just a magnitude of curiosity.

I do also agree that curiosity is being murdered though. Ironically moreso by the public than anything; I do not blame homelife.

700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Most of my house reps learned this time around to leave the internet and security alone (except 1 who got a call), I'll make sure to keep my senators up to date. The internet is far too useful, the loss in future innovation and information sharing brought by these laws will hurt us in the long run.

Greedy Consumer

Exoth XIII
Jorgunmandr

I do blame them lollll

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces