Welcome to Gaia! ::

Stop discussing abortion, stop discussing rape, lets break away from the cliche topics for a moment or two. I'm getting a bit nervous about the general lack of interest here.

For people who don't know what CIPSA is I worked out a very general outline on it. If you know what it is keep scrolling.
'Me'

Here's the most basic bill definition according to the bill, which by the way passed the House on Thursday:
Basic Definition.

Here's the bill in it's entirety, but you don't want to read all that. Other people have already picked it apart, and there are a few notable facts on this bill.

Like SOPA, CIPSA allows monitoring, censorship and alteration of any online communication... instead it isn't limited solely to copy written material.

This bill allows companies to share content anyone posts as long as they deem it a "cyber threat." What is a cyber threat? According to the bill:
"Efforts to harm public and private systems and networks
Theft or wrongful possession of public or private data, intellectual property, or personally identifiable information"

That seems pretty vague. But no, wait! Lets broaden the definition further with this amendment (that also passed) that will also allow the sharing of information pertaining to various cyber crimes.

This includes the protection of individuals from "death or serious bodily harm," and other typical measures the police will take to justify their actions, lets throw in the mantra 'FOR THE CHILDREN' to get those moms on board, and obviously, "to protect the national security of the United States."

I don't like the way this sounds, or rather the way it doesn't sound. This ambiguous definition is a huge flare going off in my mind. Almost anything can be taken out of context to fit within those guidelines. Plus I like my rights. This bill requires no warrants, no red tape, nothing.

Not only that, but big corporations like Google and Facebook (who were originally against SOPA if you remember) are supporting this bill. I imagine those lobbyists are getting pretty tired of throwing out money to politicians by now.

The potential ramifications of this bill directly affect you.

I got a lot of my information from this article ...here.

How can we make it clear to the government that they serve the people, not big business? Anyone have anything else to contribute? I'm trying to spread a bit of awareness where I saw none before.

edit: I had to tweak the intro and the title since I've been informed mine was 'misleading.'

Friendly Raider

I notice no internet sites/companies are doing the "black out" thing.
Has anyone told the government that you "physically" have to commit crimes in order to be a criminal? Oh of course I could call 1984, as many have for eons it seems. .......

The thing I'm thinking of doing is voting Ron Paul and ripping Government from trade all together.
SaguaroDundee
Has anyone told the government that you "physically" have to commit crimes in order to be a criminal? Oh of course I could call 1984, as many have for eons it seems. .......

The thing I'm thinking of doing is voting Ron Paul and ripping Government from trade all together.

I've actually read horror stories of people calling their senators to discuss their views on the CIPSA to have the secretary ask them what it was. You'd figure with the response SOPA brought more people would be calling with this one, as they did before.

Turns out a lot of people just haven't heard of it, it isn't on the news (to my knowledge) and no websites are protesting it.

It shares a lot of characteristics with a totalitarian regime as in 1984. With sites like wikileaks at risk, I see it as thought police. Then there's the Goldstein effect, but I won't get into that here.

I like Paul. A lot of people like Paul. Yet he gets little news coverage and I'm pretty sure his statistics are being botched. See this. Most people aren't even aware he ran in 2008 with a similar platform. It's a bit funny to me.

Friendly Raider

When I Leave This World
SaguaroDundee

I've actually read horror stories of people calling their senators to discuss their views on the CIPSA to have the secretary ask them what it was. You'd figure with the response SOPA brought more people would be calling with this one, as they did before.

Turns out a lot of people just haven't heard of it, it isn't on the news (to my knowledge) and no websites are protesting it.

It shares a lot of characteristics with a totalitarian regime as in 1984. With sites like wikileaks at risk, I see it as thought police. Then there's the Goldstein effect, but I won't get into that here.

I like Paul. A lot of people like Paul. Yet he gets little news coverage and I'm pretty sure his statistics are being botched. See this. Most people aren't even aware he ran in 2008 with a similar platform. It's a bit funny to me.

Oooh woah man, that is pretty chilling. If we get lucky physical protest will happen, and honestly I learned about CISPA from facebook at first, so I don't think the community is too deprived of the necessary info. But there definitely needs to be an uprising in efforts.
I'll look into the Goldstein effect on my off time.

and you'll be very interested to here that the Missouri Caucus had a revote. At least these pundits have reported http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqXdA9xZl1c http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94XumhCBkTM, hopefully providing more proof to push other revotes. But idk how the other Caucuses went down.
SaguaroDundee

Oooh woah man, that is pretty chilling. If we get lucky physical protest will happen, and honestly I learned about CISPA from facebook at first, so I don't think the community is too deprived of the necessary info. But there definitely needs to be an uprising in efforts.

and you'll be very interested to here that the Missouri Caucus had a revote. At least these pundits have reported http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqXdA9xZl1c http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94XumhCBkTM, hopefully providing more proof to push other revotes. But idk how the other Caucuses went down.

People are generally apathetic until they see how it will affect them.

The Goldstein effect is easy to summarize. Its just long to explain fully how it relates and I am lazy. I got this from wiki, because it explains it pretty well:

"Goldstein's persona as an enemy of the state serves to distract, unite and focus the anger of the people of Oceania. Ostensibly, Goldstein serves an important role as both a convenient scapegoat for the totalitarian regime in 1984, and justifying reason for more military buildup, surveillance and elimination of civil liberties."

In summary:
I feel the Patriot Act, the NDAA and potentially CIPSA are all in place to "to protect the national security of the United States." But from what? The next dark skinned Disney villain we should all be against? Osama was a scapegoat. Kony is a potential scapegoat. Next it will be a hacker group like Anonymous that we need to fear.
(I'm not saying these people didn't commit crimes against humanity, but the way they are being related to us in order to push bills through congress or for economic reasons is propaganda)

Edit: Clarity.
But I walk 500 miles
and I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who walked a thousand miles
Just to fall down at your door
Captain Verd
But I walk 500 miles

Is this becoming a a karaoke thread like in the days of old?
When I Leave This World
SaguaroDundee

People are generally apathetic until they see how it will affect them.

The Goldstein effect is easy to summarize. Its just long to explain fully how it relates and I am lazy. I got this from wiki, because it explains it pretty well:

"Goldstein's persona as an enemy of the state serves to distract, unite and focus the anger of the people of Oceania. Ostensibly, Goldstein serves an important role as both a convenient scapegoat for the totalitarian regime in 1984, and justifying reason for more military buildup, surveillance and elimination of civil liberties."

In summary:
I feel the Patriot Act, the NDAA and potentially CIPSA are all in place to "to protect the national security of the United States." But from what? The next dark skinned Disney villain we should all be against? Osama was a scapegoat. Kony is a potential scapegoat. Next it will be a hacker group like Anonymous that we need to fear.
(I'm not saying these people didn't commit crimes against humanity, but the way they are being related to us in order to push bills through congress or for economic reasons is propaganda)

Ahhhhh!!! I've never even heard of this bill :0
SaguaroDundee

Even if the popular vote favored Paul, they'd just pull a Bush 2000 on 'em.
When I Leave This World

In summary:

It's getting closer and closer to us, isn't it? The ultimate goal is control of the populace. This is not paranoia. This is not insanity. This is the logical course of action.
The Willow Of Darkness
Captain Verd
But I walk 500 miles

No, Verd's just being ******** annoying.
redroosters
The Willow Of Darkness
Captain Verd
But I walk 500 miles

Verd is awesome. whee
Princess Creampie
redroosters
The Willow Of Darkness
Captain Verd
But I walk 500 miles

Verd is awesome. whee

How is Verd awesome? She belongs in GD with the rest of those hipster scum.
redroosters
Princess Creampie
redroosters
The Willow Of Darkness
Captain Verd
But I walk 500 miles

Verd is awesome. whee

I'ma hipster too! xd

Verd is awesome because she just is. ninja
Princess Creampie
redroosters
Princess Creampie
redroosters
The Willow Of Darkness
Captain Verd
But I walk 500 miles

Verd is awesome. whee

I'ma hipster too! xd

Verd is awesome because she just is. ninja

I hate those. Useless human husks, doing nothing with themselves but eating Nutella and listening to shitty indie music.

No, she isn't.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces