Welcome to Gaia! ::

GamerXR72
The discusion is about morality then. I personally believe morality to be subjective to the society. Its only good/evil because people believe it is so.

Is that like a big-scale version of relativity? The more people who believe something, the truer it is? Or maybe we could have daily morality reports alongside the local weather?

"That's right folks, as you can see on the charts, we've got an infidelity front coming in from the northwest later this afternoon, to be followed by record highs in fornication and adultery continuing on into the night. You can expect things to cool off a little by the weekend, though, leaving us with a forty percent chance of petty theft by Saturday. Back to you, Bob."

razz

By the way, I'm just tryin' to have a little fun with what looks like it could otherwise turn into a flame-fest.... ^_^ Let me know if I cross any lines, 'k?
Ashaela
GamerXR72
The discusion is about morality then. I personally believe morality to be subjective to the society. Its only good/evil because people believe it is so.

Is that like a big-scale version of relativity? The more people who believe something, the truer it is? Or maybe we could have daily morality reports alongside the local weather?

"That's right folks, as you can see on the charts, we've got an infidelity front coming in from the northwest later this afternoon, to be followed by record highs in fornication and adultery continuing on into the night. You can expect things to cool off a little by the weekend, though, leaving us with a forty percent chance of petty theft by Saturday. Back to you, Bob."

razz

By the way, I'm just tryin' to have a little fun with what looks like it could otherwise turn into a flame-fest.... ^_^ Let me know if I cross any lines, 'k?

Morality is neither true or false. Math and science are true or false. Some people might think their morals are true, but because there would be others who truely believe something else, it is then obvious that they can have conflicting moralities from which you could gather that morality is not absolute but relative.

There are no lines that I havn't crossed online, so if I were to get upset it would be hypocritical of me (though Im often hypocritical).

Enduring Associate

8,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Clambake 200
I'm not sure if this is what you want from this discussion, but frankly I don't care, because this "misanthropy makes me deep" angle is tired, tired, tired. If forced to take a stand within the confines of DCT itself, I would say that certain commands and acts are good because they are issued by God, because the being in question is presumably divine and doesn't want to propagate evil. I mean, were I infinitely wise, I would certainly issue commands that would result in peace because that's a state preferable to all living things; I realize this is flawed bcause I'm speaking from a human and therefore fallible viewpoint, but since most world religions focus on the benevolence of their God, and the notion of forgiveness, I can assume that this at least functions in a theological capacity. However, outside the strict confines of DCT, this says to me that there is either not a God, or that we (humans) have no flippin' way to determine what He/She/It desires. Morality is too subjective to be derived from a single mandate from a single entity, and even in those cases where someone (or many someones) says "God made me do it," their morally right action has usually caused harm to someone else. So either there's nobody calling the shots except us ants down here, or we can't interpret divine commands. Maybe there's some big tenet I'm missing out on, but I'm atheist and always have been, so cut me a bit of slack?
Damn, that's one big paragraph.

fubenkunai
I'm not sure if this is what you want from this discussion, but frankly I don't care, because this "misanthropy makes me deep" angle is tired, tired, tired. If forced to take a stand within the confines of DCT itself, I would say that certain commands and acts are good because they are issued by God, because the being in question is presumably divine and doesn't want to propagate evil.

Divine != Good (however you define good). A divine being may wish to propogate "evil" for whatever reasons it may have. Of course, in order to do so it would have to recognise certain behaviour as "evil" using a moral code external to itself, then convince its mortal followers that engaging in such actions are in their own best interests, which would likely lead said mortals to believe that the divine being's edicts were "good" when in fact they were not.

The upshot of all this is that for any being to pursue a "good" or "evil" agenda, said being must refer to a moral code external to itself (i.e., the "God commands this because it is good" option).

If the being in question is in fact, the source of all morality (i.e., "This is Good because God commands it" wink , then it can assign and re-assign a moral value to any action it desires to suit its needs. In other words, it can say that "Murder is good!" and "Helping the needy is evil!" if such distinctions serve its goals. To make a long story short: Morality suddenly becomes ambiguous at best.

Quote:
I mean, were I infinitely wise, I would certainly issue commands that would result in peace because that's a state preferable to all living things; I realize this is flawed bcause I'm speaking from a human and therefore fallible viewpoint,

Glad you realised this viewpoint was flawed. I'm not trying to insult you but you are assuming that an "infinitely wise" being is also "good", or more accurately, that it would desire for all living creatures to live in peace and harmony. Note that possessing wisdom does not make someone "good". Some of the most self-serving, megalomaniacal individuals I've ever met were exceedingly wise.

Quote:
but since most world religions focus on the benevolence of their God, and the notion of forgiveness, I can assume that this at least functions in a theological capacity.

It has to, since very few people would be willing to follow a malevolent deity that they knew wished them harm. A religion like that would likely die out really fast.

Quote:
However, outside the strict confines of DCT, this says to me that there is either not a God, or that we (humans) have no flippin' way to determine what He/She/It desires. Morality is too subjective to be derived from a single mandate from a single entity, and even in those cases where someone (or many someones) says "God made me do it," their morally right action has usually caused harm to someone else. So either there's nobody calling the shots except us ants down here, or we can't interpret divine commands. Maybe there's some big tenet I'm missing out on, but I'm atheist and always have been, so cut me a bit of slack?

I do not think that morality is extremely subjective, since most societies deem that which protects their members and their way of life "moral", while those things which do the opposite are "immoral".

kthxbai.
Christians don't really have a problem either way.

So God didn't make morality, just observed it. Who cares? You're still going to Hell if you don't get saved.

So morality is only something that the Greatest Being Ever, Lord of Lords, King of Kings, Prince of Peace wills. You'll excuse me if I don't find that particulary miniscule.
Alright people, good, good.

Now, don't confine yourself to just DCT and whatnot. Start there, and expand. This is a discussion exercise. Have at it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff