• Dressed Up 200
HMS Thunder Child
This sounds super patronizing.

Yeah.
I'm kinda inured to it at this stage.
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Homo is a slur. It's not as bad as the f word though.
I take it you think States have a place regulating which slurs people can use and in which contexts?

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they did for things like license plates and business names.
Well, as a matter of fact, they do, I just think it's a pretty obvious First Amendment violation. The government has no place regulating the content of my speech, and that means they should either have custom license plates where the person has carte blanche in terms of content, or no custom license plates at all.

This "you can say whatever you want, unless the State government deems it offensive" policy is, well, a bit ******** up.
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
I take it you think States have a place regulating which slurs people can use and in which contexts?

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they did for things like license plates and business names.
Well, as a matter of fact, they do, I just think it's a pretty obvious First Amendment violation. The government has no place regulating the content of my speech, and that means they should either have custom license plates where the person has carte blanche in terms of content, or no custom license plates at all.

This "you can say whatever you want, unless the State government deems it offensive" policy is, well, a bit ******** up.

A lack of clauses against offensive speech indicates a clear right by an aggrieved citizen to beat the offending party's a**.
PureCocainePureCocaine
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7

A lack of clauses against offensive speech indicates a clear right by an aggrieved citizen to beat the offending party's a**.
I mean, I guess bixnood is a viable rebuttal to offensive language, but does that go both ways? I've seen wealthy women call poor rednecks "white trash" before. Should these women get their a** wrecked publicly over it? I'm not sure I actually think so, although I do sympathize with the sentiment behind it.
Roih Uvet
PureCocainePureCocaine
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7

I mean, I guess bixnood is a viable rebuttal to offensive language, but does that go both ways? I've seen wealthy women call poor rednecks "white trash" before. Should these women get their a** wrecked publicly over it? I'm not sure I actually think so, although I do sympathize with the sentiment behind it.

If somebody called me white trash I'd whoop their a** for it. *shrug*
Not a chick, though. I'd pay a nice girl to whoop her a** for me, thus keeping my honor intact.

Garbage

Riviera de la Mancha
Cassidy Peterson
I don't see how the license plate could be considered "profane or vulgar" in any way. Would there be such a fuss if the plate read "IMNOTGAY" or something similar?

Of course not; those are two different things. One is a pretty well-known offensive slang phrase, which implies that homosexuality is a bad thing. The other is a factual statement. If indeed the person merely wants to convey to others that he is not gay, then "IMNOTGAY" is sufficient.
It's kinda sad that "no homo" is considered offensive. "I don't trust you to believe I'm not gay unless I remind you every time I pay a man a compliment" is really more offensive to the person saying "no homo" than the fact that they said it.

It's like having to qualify that you're not Asian every time you help someone with a math problem.
Cassidy Peterson
Riviera de la Mancha
Cassidy Peterson
I don't see how the license plate could be considered "profane or vulgar" in any way. Would there be such a fuss if the plate read "IMNOTGAY" or something similar?

Of course not; those are two different things. One is a pretty well-known offensive slang phrase, which implies that homosexuality is a bad thing. The other is a factual statement. If indeed the person merely wants to convey to others that he is not gay, then "IMNOTGAY" is sufficient.
It's kinda sad that "no homo" is considered offensive. "I don't trust you to believe I'm not gay unless I remind you every time I pay a man a compliment" is really more offensive to the person saying "no homo" than the fact that they said it.

Sad, but true - and that is why it was appropriate in my opinion for the DMV to recall the plate.

Garbage

Riviera de la Mancha
Cassidy Peterson
Riviera de la Mancha
Cassidy Peterson

Sad, but true - and that is why it was appropriate in my opinion for the DMV to recall the plate.
...well played whee

Fair enough! I guess I can't argue with that 3nodding
Cassidy Peterson
Riviera de la Mancha
Cassidy Peterson

It's like having to qualify that you're not Asian every time you help someone with a math problem.

I'm just saying, most people where I'm at are childish about that s**t, so you have to say no homo or there will be an uproar of laughter at your expense.

Besides, saying another dude looks good is kinda gay.

Garbage

PureCocainePureCocaine
I've never really understood the concept that guys judging other guys attractive or not is a gay thing. It's like the notion that a guy in a relationship shouldn't find other girls attractive, either. Knowing whether other people look good or not is a major factor in judging whether you look good - unless you've got enough ego to convince yourself that you are forever and eternally the sexiest person ever. And complimenting people is just a thing that nice people do. You don't need to be gay to be nice.
Cassidy Peterson
PureCocainePureCocaine
I've never really understood the concept that guys judging other guys attractive or not is a gay thing. It's like the notion that a guy in a relationship shouldn't find other girls attractive, either. Knowing whether other people look good or not is a major factor in judging whether you look good - unless you've got enough ego to convince yourself that you are forever and eternally the sexiest person ever. And complimenting people is just a thing that nice people do. You don't need to be gay to be nice.

Eh, that's just how it is here.

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
PureCocainePureCocaine
Roih Uvet
PureCocainePureCocaine
Roih Uvet
Mei tsuki7

If somebody called me white trash I'd whoop their a** for it. *shrug*
Not a chick, though. I'd pay a nice girl to whoop her a** for me, thus keeping my honor intact.
Why would ye do that? Ye afraid yer gonna lose th' fight er somethin'? A fight tis a fight regardless o' th' combatants. Thar be no "honor" involved in fights. Ye try and win, that be it. Whetha' ye throw sand in their eyes er otha's sorts o' distractions

Also if'n yer gonna pay anyone ta' figh fer ye why would ye choose someone that be nice? They'd probably be less inclined ta' be very violent and thus a less o' a chance at winnin' a fight
PureCocainePureCocaine
Cassidy Peterson
Riviera de la Mancha
Cassidy Peterson

I'm just saying, most people where I'm at are childish about that s**t, so you have to say no homo or there will be an uproar of laughter at your expense.

I think there are more issues for the community where you are to address. Or you need to get a sense of humor and/or find a better tool to deflect.

Eh, I suppose when you are unsure of your sexual orientation you can feel the need to overcompensate. I see nothing gay in saying anyone looks good if they look good. I see stuff like a homosexual relationship as gay.
CuAnnan
Tequilla Tantrum
Alright, here's one without my sexuality.

I'm not holding my breath

Tequilla Tantrum
People must be allowed to hold their own views on what does and does not constitute offense

1) Your rights end where my begin.
2) Provide any support for the "must".

Tequilla Tantrum
lest we all start thinking the same and lose creativity.

That's both a slippery slope and a non sequitor.

Tequilla Tantrum
Since there can then be no gold standard of what is and is not offensive

Yes there can.

Didn't think you could.
Just a series of opinions and non sequitors

Much as I agree with dismantling the whole "I belong to X category so I win any argument regarding subjects concerning X category by default", you don't have a right not to be offended. While I agree it's idiotic to put NO HOMO on your license plate, stating the old "your's end where mine begins" regarding speech is a little ridiculous.

That being said if the state wants to allow this, the whole "vulgar" or "offensive" s**t is out the window.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Plata Plomo y Sangre
stating the old "your's end where mine begins" regarding speech is a little ridiculous

I would add "because....?" implying that I think you have a reason.
But I don't.
So instead, I'm just going to say "******** off".

******** off.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces