Welcome to Gaia! ::

Now here's something to think about!

A nice guy will open the door for you, return your wallet, help you move in. He doesn't expect anything. He does it because he wants to help.

Nice Guys, however... They'll do all that, too. Except that they don't do it because they're nice.. The entire time, they are thinking they deserve something for it. Sometimes, yes, it's a date or sex. Other times, they feel you're obligated to give them something, like friendship. They feel ENTITLED to something.

Nice Guys are the people who complain that a woman they've given flowers and opened doors for and bought lunch for won't go on a date with them, why is she so stuck up? Why won't she go on a date with me because I did all this stuff for her? Why are all women so stuck up? There is a habit of lumping all women together and a refusal to look at their own flaws. Everything is the other person's fault.

(There are female equivalents, as a disclaimer.)

Do not be a Nice Guy. Be a nice guy.
Female-specific chivalry is a bad habbit. I try not to encourage it all.
Fermionic
Hahaha, well, in the OP, I was being specific. The nice guy will aid regardless of sex, and his intentions are just to be nice. The Nice Guy, however, will have the intention of gaining something.
Marluxiana
Fermionic
Hahaha, well, in the OP, I was being specific. The nice guy will aid regardless of sex, and his intentions are just to be nice. The Nice Guy, however, will have the intention of gaining something.

I find both notions as deplorable as the each other.
Fermionic
Marluxiana
Fermionic

Why, may I ask, is it wrong for someone to help because they want to help?

Friendly Lunatic

This is a stupid dichotomy which stems from having a relationship or a woman as a 'goal' to be achieved like in a game. Instead, think of romance like the 'title' you get as a reward for achieving various steps along the road to the 'goal' of self-actualization: the better of a person you become, the more people will like to be with you. And that's OK. Change is good!
Marluxiana
Fermionic
Marluxiana
Fermionic

Why, may I ask, it is wrong for someone to help because they want sex?
Fermionic
Marluxiana
Fermionic
Marluxiana
Fermionic

Because no one owes anyone sex. Or a date. To do that is to set oneself up for disappointment, and then the blame is put on the other person because of a perception that sex is owed.
Marluxiana
Fermionic
Marluxiana
Fermionic
Marluxiana
Fermionic

Because no one owes anyone sex. Or a date. To do that is to set oneself up for disappointment, and then the blame is put on the other person because of a perception that sex is owed.

That seems as dogmatic as a position stating the contrary would be, and no more reliable.

In answer to you original question, it is neither right nor wrong for someone to help because of some charitable impulse. It does, however, ascribe a certain perceived state to women if it is at all expected in such an encounter.

Friendly Lunatic

Fermionic

Why is it wrong for someone to go watch a football game because they want to buy shares of Apple stock?

Gaian

Why do people place so much importance on something as simple as holding a door open. I thought we were naturally nice people. This is a Coffee Bean, not the goddamn Viper Room.

Adored Admirer

Marluxiana
A nice guy will open the door for you, return your wallet, help you move in. He doesn't expect anything. He does it because he wants to help.

Uh huh.
Oh look. This thread again.

You know what's more ******** grating than the "Nice Guys tm tm tm herp a derp"? The annoying sect of EDers who will not stop whining about them.

Conservative Lover

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
I think what you meant is 'Don't be a nice guy. Be a good guy.'

Dapper Reveler

Fermionic
Marluxiana
Fermionic
Marluxiana
Fermionic

That seems as dogmatic as a position stating the contrary would be, and no more reliable.

In answer to you original question, it is neither right nor wrong for someone to help because of some charitable impulse. It does, however, ascribe a certain perceived state to women if it is at all expected in such an encounter.
ehh its somewhat obnoxious finding out someone whom i disagree with is smart.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff