Welcome to Gaia! ::

My two cents
I for one would donate to the tsunami relief BEFORE i would to countries like sudan and ethopia...only BECAUSE the social issue and homelessness of thos countries were on going issues that could of been sorted out over the years. UNLIKE the Tsunami disaster which took all but hours to distroy lives at no fault of their own. My point is... that Sudan and Ethopia and other developping 3rd world countries in their predicament have had years to create thier own problems....unlike those in Sri Lanka a, Indonesia and India... their misfortune was cause by a natura disaster instead of a social disaster...
ShadowSakura
What pisses me off is how America have managed to turn it into a political statement - Colin Powell (American Secretary of State) said, the other day,
"We want to show the world that America supports the Moslem countries."
It's not about the 'Moslem countries'! It's about helping people who need it. Most of the people harmed by the tsunami weren't even Moslem.
Bloody Powell. scream
I think George Bush's script writers also work for him. gonk

na dont think so.......
Thank you for generalizing. How do you know where I donate my money to??? Plus, has anyone forgotten BandAid and LifeAid?? Those are still going on, so what you're saying makes no sense.
ShadowSakura
What pisses me off is how America have managed to turn it into a political statement - Colin Powell (American Secretary of State) said, the other day,
"We want to show the world that America supports the Moslem countries."
It's not about the 'Moslem countries'! It's about helping people who need it. Most of the people harmed by the tsunami weren't even Moslem.
Bloody Powell. scream
I think George Bush's script writers also work for him. gonk
Majority of the victims were of the Muslim faith and yeah it has become political and whatever the US can say and do to take the focus off of the Iraqi mess they will do it.. and Powell could care less.. he's counting down his days until he officially gets to quit... I be he wakes up happy as hell saying T-minus # days xp
i think its stupid that an overnight tradgedy has to make people start to donate to people worse off than themselves
Papabun
becuase these countrys are valueble to the world trading powers and the other countrys are garbage, and a waste of world resources, I mean really, do you save the bum, or the middle class family ? You save the middle class family, thats what we are doing now.

from where i'm standing, that sounds pretty low. stare
Quote:
I'm gonna try and do my small part and donate some money in some way, maybe them capatalist bastards might do the same for other countries that are being ignored and probably will for mothns to come.

Yeh, all the capitalist bastards are going to follow your example, your noble act, give it a rest, PLEASE.
i don't understamd why people are trying to help out a country that was fine but now there's a problem when a lot of other countries have been starving forever.
ceie
i think its stupid that an overnight tradgedy has to make people start to donate to people worse off than themselves
ya but it's the tradgedites tat get ppl's attention
Wes Kraven
i don't understamd why people are trying to help out a country that was fine but now there's a problem when a lot of other countries have been starving forever.
it's abit more than just a problem
nitaria38
well like my mom says if every star gave a million insted of thinking about a new car the world would be doing better stressed
so very true
To all those saying why don't I donate...I do donate, we have a charity collection every week in our school of which I put money into.
And lets look at it this way
1) A previous natural disaster in Bangladeshi which happen about 4-5 years ago, a monsoon, killed 120,000 but no massive charity was donated to it in an instant now was there? Where was the publicity for days on end to that?
2) Why is it that in 2003 40 cents per head was raised for the Sudan crisis, yet $400 a head is already raised SO FAR for every victim in this crisis?
3) If the rest of the world was so concerned about all these crisis', why is it that an organisation set up by Tony Blair and others in Africa is being rejected by them and that a ********' cows subsidary when its sold ($2.5) is more than what the average person and 45 million others in the surrounding countries, lives on less per day ($1)?
What sort of effort was there in that country? why do for example 45 tins of european tomatoes have to be on display in market places driving out local businesses leaving them bankrupt and damaging their economy yet make more for Europe when they should be trying to help the farmers?
4) Why was there no warning system on the Indian side of the U.S. naval base Diego Garcia, beside Indonesia, but on the pacific side? And why did they not inform the countries beforehand when they got the information? That could have saved thousands upon thousands of lives...
5) Is it likely that America will use this donation they give to say to the muslims "we are christians, we fought you now we feed and clothe and heal you in this event, where is your Osama now?" or so on? Will they use this to exploit the terrorists to get another country to feed off them like in the cold war events?
6) How long will these donations last? Will we all not forget this like Sudan Africa and Ethiopia?

Debate.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces