Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fanatical Zealot

Mountain dew has flame retardant in it! It's called water.

But, apparently, there has been recent concern over Brominated vegetable oil, or "BVO". Brominated vegetable oil is vegetable oil that has been brominated. More or less, they pump bromine in it, to change the density, so it won't float to the surface, like most oils do in water. It’s allowed to be used at a level not to exceed 15 parts per million, according to the FDA, but most soft drinks use about 8 parts per million. Assuming it was pure bromine, you would need about .5-1 gram a day to cause bromism, which are side effects from bromine. Since Bromine has a long elimination half life, 9-12 days, compared to say oxygen at a few minutes, at most, or say water, it can accumulate in the system. The therapeutic dose of bromide is about 3-5 grams of bromide, partially explaining why chronic toxicity (bromism) was once so common. Assuming you consumed 1 gram of bromine for several months, it would still take some 9-12 days for half of this to be gone, and then a longer time for the rest of it. Damaging doses are therefore somewhere around double what the toxicity levels are, since even after the half life is run out, half still remains.

That being said, at 8 parts per million, in a 2000 milliliter thing of mountain dew, that means there are some .00025 mililiters of bromine per 2 liters of mountain dew, or at 1.33 g/mL, or .0003325 grams per 2 liter. To reach half a gram, this would take approximately 1500 2 liters, or 3000 liters. So, if you drank 3000 liters a day, for months on end, you could potentially get sick. Who knew?

Despite this, there has been one documented case of bromism, from a guy who did drink 2-4 liters of squirt a day (still a lot). Apparently, he had an extreme sensitivity to it and was drinking some random off brand grapefruit soda thingy.

This guy seemed to have an extreme sensitivity to it.

It's arguable that if you are sensitive, you'd want to avoid sodas with large quantities of brominated vegetable oil in them, or at least weirdo brands with who knows what in it with 4 liters a day for 20 years.

While this is a good argument against using it, potential unknown sensitivities, lots of people have food allergies, more common to peanut butter, nuts, chocolate, eggs, and even things like chicken and beef. More people are likely to have problems from food poisoning or food allergies with these things than from brominated vegetable oil. In addition, bromine tablets are often used in pools and hot tubs, instead of chlorine; if you've been in a bromine pool, you've likely been exposed to higher concentrations (usually 30 ppm) and inhaled or absorbed higher quantities, given the raw volume of the water, than is even realistically possible from Mountain Dew or other sodas. That being said, this is mostly insignificant; the largest problem with the guy was his unusual ability to retain the bromine, until hemodialysis cleared out most of it and all the symptoms disappeared with no permanent damage relatively quickly.

So if your kidneys don't work, and can't flush out build up waste, you may want to avoid large quantities of soda over many years, or just get some hemodialysis every so often to help clear out build up.

But otherwise I think this controversy is rather silly since it's mostly harmless. Do I want brominated vegetable oil in there? Not really, but their replacement is ester gum, which is, like most types of gums, is just, empty gummy stuff that can build up based on the fact it's so viscous in the first place. It's arguable it's harmless, as well, but no more harmless than consuming vast quantities of sand or sawdust (bacterial free, of course). You could replace it I suppose, but it wouldn't do much.

Despite this! Due to popular demand, pepsi decided to replace it. This has made some believe it's dangerous; but really, if a million people said, hey, we want a cherry version, they'd probably make it. That's how business works.

I think it's kind of silly and an over reaction, but what do you think, ED? Do you mind brominated vegetable oil in soft drinks, or do you think they should switch over to ester gum? Personally I don't care too much, but it would be nice if they made it into a healthier drink; imagine spiking vitamins or something. You could make it so your average American could get way more nutrients, and possibly not worry about calories; but, then you might have problems with that, idk. So, what do you think ED?!
I don't drink soda, it kills drinkers in the most inglorious way possible.
And I was so certain those were electrolytes.

Omnipresent Glitch

11,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
There's a possibility that it has some effect. Of course, I stopped drinking soda, because of feeling an instant nausea that was brought on by Mountain Dew Pitch Black. I've had some very bad reactions from soda in general after that day, and I still can't have soda without having some form of panic. It's not pleasant.

Astral Fairy

11,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
You made me lol congrats <3

Fashionable Lunatic

8,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
Suicidesoldier#1

But, apparently, there has been recent concern over Brominated vegetable oil, or "BVO". Brominated vegetable oil is vegetable oil that has been brominated. More or less, they pump bromine in it, to change the density, so it won't float to the surface, like most oils do in water. It’s allowed to be used at a level not to exceed 15 parts per million, according to the FDA, but most soft drinks use about 8 parts per million. Assuming it was pure bromine, you would need about .5-1 gram a day to cause bromism, which are side effects from bromine. Since Bromine has a long elimination half life, 9-12 days, compared to say oxygen at a few minutes, at most, or say water, it can accumulate in the system. The therapeutic dose of bromide is about 3-5 grams of bromide, partially explaining why chronic toxicity (bromism) was once so common. Assuming you consumed 1 gram of bromine for several months, it would still take some 9-12 days for half of this to be gone, and then a longer time for the rest of it. Damaging doses are therefore somewhere around double what the toxicity levels are, since even after the half life is run out, half still remains.

That being said, at 8 parts per million, in a 2000 milliliter thing of mountain dew, that means there are some .00025 mililiters of bromine per 2 liters of mountain dew, or at 1.33 g/mL, or .0003325 grams per 2 liter. To reach half a gram, this would take approximately 1500 2 liters, or 3000 liters. So, if you drank 3000 liters a day, for months on end, you could potentially get sick. Who knew?

Despite this, there has been one documented case of bromism, from a guy who did drink 2-4 liters of squirt a day (still a lot). Apparently, he had an extreme sensitivity to it and was drinking some random off brand grapefruit soda thingy.

It's arguable that if you are sensitive, you'd want to avoid sodas with large quantities of brominated vegetable oil in them, or at least weirdo brands with who knows what in it with 4 liters a day for 20 years.

While this is a good argument against using it, potential unknown sensitivities, lots of people have food allergies, more common to peanut butter, nuts, chocolate, eggs, and even things like chicken and beef. More people are likely to have problems from food poisoning or food allergies with these things than from brominated vegetable oil. In addition, bromine tablets are often used in pools and hot tubs, instead of chlorine; if you've been in a bromine pool, you've likely been exposed to higher concentrations (usually 30 ppm) and inhaled or absorbed higher quantities, given the raw volume of the water, than is even realistically possible from Mountain Dew or other sodas. That being said, this is mostly insignificant; the largest problem with the guy was his unusual ability to retain the bromine, until hemodialysis cleared out most of it and all the symptoms disappeared with no permanent damage relatively quickly.

So if your kidneys don't work, and can't flush out build up waste, you may want to avoid large quantities of soda over many years, or just get some hemodialysis every so often to help clear out build up.

But otherwise I think this controversy is rather silly since it's mostly harmless. Do I want brominated vegetable oil in there? Not really, but their replacement is ester gum, which is, like most types of gums, is just, empty gummy stuff that can build up based on the fact it's so viscous in the first place. It's arguable it's harmless, as well, but no more harmless than consuming vast quantities of sand or sawdust (bacterial free, of course). You could replace it I suppose, but it wouldn't do much.

Despite this! Due to popular demand, pepsi decided to replace it. This has made some believe it's dangerous; but really, if a million people said, hey, we want a cherry version, they'd probably make it. That's how business works.

I think it's kind of silly and an over reaction, but what do you think, ED? Do you mind brominated vegetable oil in soft drinks, or do you think they should switch over to ester gum? Personally I don't care too much, but it would be nice if they made it into a healthier drink; imagine spiking vitamins or something. You could make it so your average American could get way more nutrients, and possibly not worry about calories; but, then you might have problems with that, idk. So, what do you think ED?!

So, according to this study (of which, the only part I read was the first sentence) my niece must be fireproof, as she drinks vast quantities of Mountain Dew. This "Water" you speak of, it helps prevent fires, yes? Then we must all drink Mountain Dew and become fireproof.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
You know what's the scariest thing I've seen that's used in making carbonated drinks? This.
emotion_puke
Barrett Jaeger
Suicidesoldier#1

So, according to this study (of which, the only part I read was the first sentence) my niece must be fireproof, as she drinks vast quantities of Mountain Dew. This "Water" you speak of, it helps prevent fires, yes? Then we must all drink Mountain Dew and become fireproof.

The human body is 60% water.

Get a syringe with 40% water, inject yourself with it, and you'll turn into pure water.
Pickles have window cleaner in them.

Fanatical Zealot

-Kali-La-Fae-
You made me lol congrats <3

blaugh

Fanatical Zealot

Barrett Jaeger
Suicidesoldier#1

Yes. It is the way.

You must also drink the cherry version to become bullet proof, but you're only resistant to bullets, and not to blunt force impacts or like, arrows or other projectile weaponry. Upside is you can typically avoid those pretty easily. xp

Downside is shrapnel is worse. sweatdrop

The upside is there is a shrapnel proof soda but... you don't want to drink that. Trust me.
Worse, mountain dew has mountain dew in it, which is reason alone to never drink it for any reason.

Hilarious Prophet

Je Nique vos Merdiers
Worse, mountain dew has mountain dew in it, which is reason alone to never drink it for any reason.
Circular reasoning shouldn't be used because it's circular reasoning and is bad because it's bad.
Jacque De Molay
Je Nique vos Merdiers
Circular reasoning shouldn't be used because it's circular reasoning and is bad because it's bad.

It's not circular reasoning, it's self-reference. Mountain dew is nasty s**t. There a trillion better drinks out there, why the ******** are people worried about it containing flame retardant when it has enough sugar to kill a diabetic whale and tastes like piss?

Hilarious Prophet

Je Nique vos Merdiers
Jacque De Molay
Je Nique vos Merdiers

It's not circular reasoning, it's self-reference. Mountain dew is nasty s**t. There a trillion better drinks out there, why the ******** are people worried about it containing flame retardant when it has enough sugar to kill a diabetic whale and tastes like piss?
The reason why people aren't worried about sugar content is because most of them have been saturated in it all their lives. You think a fish notices water?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff