Obsessive Loiterer

9,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
I had this crazy idea tonight, what if you used in vitro meat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vitro_meat

to produce human steaks and whatnot.

What kind of impact would it have on the world?

Would it be legal or illegal in most countries(at first)?

Fanatical Zealot

Human meat tastes like s**t and is rather toxic.

It's part of the reason why animals don't really like to eat us.

We always hear that "sharks think we taste bad", among lions and things, but they do.

We taste like s**t, especially to other humans- burning flesh is one of the worst smells ever, along with our taste, flavor, everything, it's really just bad.

Also we'd practically be obligated to make it for people who needed it just to walk around.

This would just be a waste.

Icy Rogue

Naturally the world wouldn't exactly embrace human meat steaks.

Here you are, suddenly with the technology to generate muscle cells that could possibly go to legitimate medical use, or at least with the possibility of generating the muscle cells of any other consumable animal, and you use it to make

human meat steaks.

No really I don't think so.

It was an interesting idea though.
Don't do it, you'll get the shakes.

Icy Rogue

redroosters

Aka laughing sickness. That name = instant win.
soracious wonk
redroosters

They laugh? That's creepy.

Icy Rogue

redroosters
soracious wonk
redroosters

cat_biggrin

Dangerous Conversationalist

7,550 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
I don't mean to put the rumor mill on a halt here...

But this is confirmed right? Human flesh, not tasty? 'Cause there are cannibalistic tribes. Did they just like...get used to it?

If i blindfolded suicidesoldier and made him eat RedRoosters, wouldn't he taste different from Wonk, who obviously is on a diet of all sugar?

Anxious Knight

I'm usually not a cannibal for other reasons than the fact that its difficult to eat.

Icy Rogue

stealthmongoose

But this is confirmed right? Human flesh, not tasty? 'Cause there are cannibalistic tribes. Did they just like...get used to it?
Ultimately, without actually eating some of the stuff ourselves, all we have are the subjective evaluations of a collection of murderers who may not be the most reliable of witnesses. But there is a certain consistency here - certainly the cannibals themselves seem to have generally considered it closer to pork, and indeed close enough that they were happy to label it as such when selling it to unfortunate members of the public through the meat markets and hot dog stands of 1920s Germany and Poland.

So unless somebody has any further evidence, the official opinion of this blog is that human flesh tastes a bit like pork. Of course, to paraphrase Eddie Izzard, that means that pork tastes of human.

From here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2010/sep/05/human-meat-taste-cannibal

I suspect they tell people we taste bad because they don't want to encourage this kind of thing.
stealthmongoose
If i blindfolded suicidesoldier and made him eat RedRoosters, wouldn't he taste different from Wonk, who obviously is on a diet of all sugar?

If we're going by usernames, mongoose tastes like mongoose (which tastes like raccoon, if that helps), rooster tastes like chicken, hurray, and I taste like...sugar. Not sure where that came from but ok. Also I vote that I do the eating, thanks.

Eloquent Streaker

redroosters
soracious wonk
redroosters

Kuru and other prions cause severe brain damage, so it would make sense that the afflicted would exhibit signs of mental illness.
Avgvsto
I'm usually not a cannibal for other reasons than the fact that its difficult to eat.

You run into dead human flesh that often? Sounds like you lead an interesting life.
stealthmongoose

Suicidesoldier is already blind.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games