Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should we use the information?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 7, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

The Holocaust
During World War 2 many people (primarily Jewish people, but others also) were forced into Ghetto's, Concentration Camps, and Death Camps. Some of these 'camps' also held medical experimentation. My question of debate is if we as a population should now use this information. EDIT: Currently we are using much of the information that has come from the activities of the Holocaust... but is that ethical? Who should say how we use this information and should the people using the information also be taught where it came from?

The knowledge gained would not only help the people of today, but it would also leave a legacy to the people who suffered.

But, these people suffered unwillingly. They had no choice, no option, and often did not understand.

The following are some links that I have found that may help. I would like to discuss this with others. I do warn you however that some of the sites can be graphic, and hard to read.

Ethical or Not? Offers information on both sides of the debate.

Human Experimentation During the Holocaust (While a good read, it is text intensive)

Picture Gallary of Holocaust

More Information on the Holocaust
The Holocaust is a horror that will forever be in our history. However, the more that we learn, perhaps we can forever fight against the possiblity of it happening again.

Holocaust Education Forum Excellent information

Myths About the Holocaust Will we ever know what happened behind the fences?

If The Debate Begins to Lag
I'm not really sure how much of an extended discussion this will be, so the following are things to get it started again if it starts to die away.

The Third Holocaust The War Against The Human Embryo and Fetus This has nothing to do with the debate on abortion, which of course is like a roach... it multiplies... maybe we can fumigate the ED Experimentation on the Embryo and Fetus.. Ethical?

EDIT - More Related Information

What about the experimentation done elsewhere in the world? Is there any going on now? Should we stop it, or let it go on? If we should step in, how do we go about doing that while saving the most amount of people in the process?
Have we always used experimentation as the source of medical learning? Many sources point out that the Holocaust did not start it, nor did it come close to ending it. Is this suffering truly necessary to gain more knowledge of the human body? Or are we causing more harm than good by torturing those undeserving?

The Unknown History of Human Experimentation

LA Times on North Korea Experimentation

A Chronology of Human Experiments

Human Experimentation in Japan Resembles what went on in the Holocaust and more
Basic Rules

Read the first post.

Be polite, debate the subject.. not the people behind it okay?

Offer new idea's and topics to the discussion!

Happy Debating!
Umm don't youknow that we are already using the medical findings from the holocaust? Vascectomies(neutering of men) are done because of experimentation during the holocaust. Medical uses for shock therapy got its information from medical studies in the holocaust, there are hundreds of procedures that happen everyday that have a basison the holocaust medical trials, I am not saying I agree with it it is in a way a catch-22 there is no answer to the ethic issue of should we or shouldnt we use the information, we can't go back and change it and the information is already in use. Mind you I am not saying the holocaust was a good thing, it wasn't I am disguisted by what happened there and it is the reason my grandmothers family and my sisters grandmothers family(my sister and I have different dads) left germany, because both families (despite being german and wealthy) found the nazi's to be horrible and destructive even in the early stages.
there is no gain with out sacrifice... But still ******** the nazis! hitlier as far as i can tell was so set in his ways and thoughts he dident comprimise making him a horrible ruler and person in general.. i cant go any more in debth with anything concerning this because there is so much falsehood about nazis and so much truth as well its hard to decern between the two
Actually, we're already using some of the findings of these experiments. But in my opinion...the experimentation has already been done. It was wrong, yes, but it doesn't make sense to throw away those findings.
The Japanese did more experimenting on the Chinese than the Germans ever did on the Jews.
bronzeyaak
there is no gain with out sacrifice... But still ******** the nazis! hitlier as far as i can tell was so set in his ways and thoughts he dident comprimise making him a horrible ruler and person in general.. i cant go any more in debth with anything concerning this because there is so much falsehood about nazis and so much truth as well its hard to decern between the two

Ok....Let me clear this up for a sec- There is no gain w/o sacrifice, huh? Makes sense. Afterall, money and time are the major ones.

I truly think we should, because they've already done the experiments. They have the info. Use it. Don't waste another life or speculating in another life doing it again.
It is true that we are already using a lot of the things that were found during the Holocaust. But there is more that we could use that still hasn't been investigated. I apologise for not making that more clear in the first post.

Also, the experiments done in Japan were much more severe than those done in in Europe, and yet were not given as much exposure. In fact while many Nazi's were being given death sentences, what was happening to the people in Japan? Something else to research.

(I am a research obsessor)
Yeah Bayer Did alot of Chemical And Medic Things dearing the Holcast but they claim at that time they where under a mother company-bullshit...Bayer did some evil stuff but so has every Nation lab and women and man
I am disturbed. You all are no knowlege with out loss. But how about if someone here suddenly completly took control and did that to us? I know I would be one to die. What about you? Are you guys so heartless about everyone else that you don't care? I don't mind using the knowlege but I mind the way you guys are defending it.
I have to hand it to the angel of death...he was the most evil b*****d who ever lived, and was a total hard-core badass(not that I admire him, he just fits the definition). I mean, who else can have another human filleted, just to see how they bleed?
They had an episode of Startrek: Voyager dealing with this exact dialema. Janeway deleted the information from the medical database.

if the knowledge is there, then use it. Using it might be bittersweet because of the method the knowledge was gained, but not using it would be plain stupidity.
WHo was it Dr. Mengala? I think he did monsterous experiments on people and then fled to South Africa after the war. It is an awful history and a piety, but if you have the knowledge maybe it can be used for good, for saving lives. I know this offers little comfort for those who under went these diabolical treatment, but maybe it can help just a little if we used it for good.
This generation scares me. It has the right ideas but for the wrong reasons.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff