Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fanatical Zealot

Maybe God is a concept that similar to a zero in mathematics; a holding place; a symbol that denies the absence of meaning. The meaning that's necessitated by the delineation of one system to another; In the spiritual sense that's god, in the mechanistic clockwork, that's zero. What I'm getting at is this, that the basis of our design is analyzed scientifically from the physical realm, with our brain a system of calculations and computations; a system of mechanical operations, no different from any other calculator. When something comes in that we can't otherwise define, we put a zero there, to represent it's value artificially in a clean or at least easy to understand language. In analogue that's God, in digital that's zero.

On a related not, or computers, despite absorbing large amounts of energy and responding to their environment, they aren't considered alive, let alone things like viruses.

And no matter how many mechanical aspects we modify on our own selves, we'll still remain alive, and can even die, where as a computer simply breaks. If you put a person back together again, or made a new one from them, would they be considered dead. In fact, if our brain is what we are, then the fact that it's cells get replaced over time means it may have been possible that we even died years ago and simply don't realize it, a shell or an imprint of what we were before, or simply a new person.

So we're still the only ones capable of living and dying.

We're so lucky!

But, what do you think ED?

Also where is your crack?
What you are assuming is that one day we will either understand God or science will reach a point where everything can be explained, thus replacing the "zero" that you are calling God. I believe neither is possible so I can't agree with your comparison.

Fanatical Zealot

foxxykitty27
What you are assuming is that one day we will either understand God or science will reach a point where everything can be explained, thus replacing the "zero" that you are calling God. I believe neither is possible so I can't agree with your comparison.

Or perhaps simply that our existence at all implies the existence of some kind of meaning? ninja

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Suicidesoldier#1
foxxykitty27

Or perhaps simply that our existence at all implies the existence of some kind of meaning? ninja

The meaning of existence, or life if you will, is simply to exist. To fill space. We exist because if we didn't exist, the space we occupy would be void and the universe abhors a vacuum.

Also GitS:SAC, is there anything it can't teach us? xd

Suicidesoldier#1
foxxykitty27

Life's purpose cannot be explained by science or logic. You can't explain to me why this specific speck of dust landed on my shoulder and if there was a reason for it to do so.

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
foxxykitty27
Suicidesoldier#1
foxxykitty27

Life's purpose cannot be explained by science or logic. You can't explain to me why this specific speck of dust landed on my shoulder and if there was a reason for it to do so.

Chaos.

AsuraSyn
foxxykitty27
Suicidesoldier#1
foxxykitty27

Chaos.

Psh

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
foxxykitty27
AsuraSyn
foxxykitty27
Suicidesoldier#1
foxxykitty27

Chaos.

Psh

What happens happens, not because it had to, but because it did.
That speck of dust landed on your shoulder because it DID land on your shoulder. This is the plane of reality in which that happened. That's why it happened.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Oh hey, another zero thread. What's the definition of zero again? I'm confused from the last few threads.....
AsuraSyn
foxxykitty27
AsuraSyn
foxxykitty27
Suicidesoldier#1
foxxykitty27

Chaos.

Psh

That speck of dust landed on your shoulder because it DID land on your shoulder. This is the plane of reality in which that happened. That's why it happened.

That's not really in disagreement with what I said. I'm not contesting the validity of your statement, but I would say it's just a fancy way of saying, "Who knows?"

Fanatical Zealot

chainmailleman
Oh hey, another zero thread. What's the definition of zero again? I'm confused from the last few threads.....

It's a symbol in mathematics representing NOTHING! scream

Dapper Reveler

Zero's an interesting concept. Bringing into existence a symbol which means non existence.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Suicidesoldier#1
chainmailleman

Finally a straight answer.

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
foxxykitty27
AsuraSyn
foxxykitty27
AsuraSyn
foxxykitty27

Chaos.

Psh

That's not really in disagreement with what I said. I'm not contesting the validity of your statement, but I would say it's just a fancy way of saying, "Who knows?"

It's only a "who knows?" if you operate under the idea that there must be a grand reason behind existence instead of a meager one. People love the idea of being the "Chosen One" but mostly, we're just filler. Of course, so's everything else, so really we're in one hell of a big club...

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
chainmailleman
Suicidesoldier#1
chainmailleman

Finally a straight answer.

Actually it's a restricted idea of nothing. If I have nothing in a basket I can say I have zero apples. Of course I can also say I have zero rhinos and be just as accurate, but the customer wasn't asking for rhinos.
"Zero" is a subjective standard of lack of a finite source. It only applies when asked about in a specific sense, i.e. apples in the above.
"Zero" as an objective idea doesn't exist because objectively there is no measurement of the finite, only of the existing. You can't have "zero" any more than you can have "blue", you must apply it to something.
Basically, it's an adjective.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces