Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fuzzy Phantom

Doofi3
Luchanchan
Hmm well I understand the arguments for legalizing it, mostly stopping the "war on drugs" and introducing another source of revenue to the government but personally I'm against it. Although proponents of legalizing marijuana believe it doesn't have any negative health effects studies have shown that it has both short and long term affects on the body. (Source) And if you don't trust that source you can always do personal research on Google Scholar or something.

No more negative affects than alcohol and tobacco, and by many accounts much fewer. Also, one needn't smoke marijuana to experience the affects. As far as I know there is very little danger in consuming marijuana in ways other than smoking it. Of course, chronic, long-term use of almost any mind-altering substance can have negative affects on the body and mind. Also, as far as I'm aware, negative psychological affects are very rare and most often the result of using very powerful manufactured strains of marijuana.

Luchanchan
There are alternatives to the chemical found in Marijuana for those that genuinely need it for health reasons so I don't see the point of people using it except for getting high. Now, normally I would have no problems with people ruining their lives as long as they avoid harming others but there is such a thing as second hand smoke. It's rather selfish to subject others to something harmful just because they don't care for themselves. And yes, before anyone asks, I am against alcohol, cigarettes, and all that fun stuff.

Edit: Huh weird. I'm the first one to make an actual viable argument.

Again, you don't need to smoke marijuana to get an affect out of it. In fact, it is becoming more and more common for those who legitimately use the drug as medication to consume it by methods other than smoking. Personally, I'd MUCH rather consume something that is grown naturally than something made in a lab like codeine, acetaminophen, or ibuprofen. I don't know, it seems you're writing off marijuana legalization largely because you don't quite realize that there are ways other than smoking the plant to benefit from its affects.

Exactly.

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
Mister George Kapland

I don't do drugs, much, anymore. But your attempt at an insult was duly noted.

Isn't it funny how often those who claim to make "viable arguments" are also the first to attempt insults?

Hallowed Smoker

Doofi3
Mister George Kapland

I don't do drugs, much, anymore. But your attempt at an insult was duly noted.

Isn't it funny how often those who claim to make "viable arguments" are also the first to attempt insults?

If only they were good at it. Because it's not the first time I've heard that one.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
I don't use it myself, but I've got nothing against it or the people who use it. I'm all cool with legalizing it.
Xx-LeGii_TyLeR--

Huh, I almost believed for a moment that you'll provide a reasoned response without attempt at an attack. You've just crushed my fragile little heart into tiny little pieces.

Seriously though, let me address your previous response first since I was already in the process of responding to that.
Although I would like to get away from second hand smoke it isn't really possible. The neighborhood I live in isn't considered "bad" but there are a few households around that partake in marijuana. I personally don't know if they are doing it for actual medicinal purposes or not but it doesn't excuse the uncomfortableness they cause to others. I assume that there are areas that smoking is restricted (such as trains, restaurants, etc.) but from what I've seen it hasn't been heavily enforced.

Google Scholar is a reasonable site to cite. There are legitimate sources that can be found. I did not find specific journals and studies because, frankly, I do not believe that many would read through it and if they wanted more information they'll search for it themselves but if you wish I can find some "more credible" sources to back up my argument. Notice, I am at least attempting to cite something instead of stating my opinion. And it is totally just an opinion. I am not stating that I'm 100% right about everything but I'm trying my best to get my point across in a legitimate way.

I have no intention of trying marijuana because I neither have the need nor the passion for the issue. If you think it makes me less "knowledgeable" than so be it.

Hallowed Smoker

Luchanchan
Xx-LeGii_TyLeR--

Huh, I almost believed for a moment that you'll provide a reasoned response without attempt at an attack. You've just crushed my fragile little heart into tiny little pieces.

Seriously though, let me address your previous response first since I was already in the process of responding to that.
Although I would like to get away from second hand smoke it isn't really possible. The neighborhood I live in isn't considered "bad" but there are a few households around that partake in marijuana. I personally don't know if they are doing it for actual medicinal purposes or not but it doesn't excuse the uncomfortableness they cause to others. I assume that there are areas that smoking is restricted (such as trains, restaurants, etc.) but from what I've seen it hasn't been heavily enforced.

Google Scholar is a reasonable site to cite. There are legitimate sources that can be found. I did not find specific journals and studies because, frankly, I do not believe that many would read through it and if they wanted more information they'll search for it themselves but if you wish I can find some "more credible" sources to back up my argument. Notice, I am at least attempting to cite something instead of stating my opinion. And it is totally just an opinion. I am not stating that I'm 100% right about everything but I'm trying my best to get my point across in a legitimate way.

I have no intention of trying marijuana because I neither have the need nor the passion for the issue. If you think it makes me less "knowledgeable" than so be it.

Sweet heart, I've read every study about drugs from 1930 to present, there has never been any conclusive evidence of harm from marijuana, no memory loss, so lung cancer, a 30 or so percent higher chance for bronchitis, but that's all... And that evidence is tenuous at best.

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
marshmallowcreampie
I don't use it myself, but I've got nothing against it or the people who use it. I'm all cool with legalizing it.

This is where I stand as well. I don't use it, anymore. Haven't in a few years actually.
Doofi3

No more negative affects than alcohol and tobacco, and by many accounts much fewer. Also, one needn't smoke marijuana to experience the affects. As far as I know there is very little danger in consuming marijuana in ways other than smoking it. Of course, chronic, long-term use of almost any mind-altering substance can have negative affects on the body and mind. Also, as far as I'm aware, negative psychological affects are very rare and most often the result of using very powerful manufactured strains of marijuana.

Again, you don't need to smoke marijuana to get an affect out of it. In fact, it is becoming more and more common for those who legitimately use the drug as medication to consume it by methods other than smoking. Personally, I'd MUCH rather consume something that is grown naturally than something made in a lab like codeine, acetaminophen, or ibuprofen. I don't know, it seems you're writing off marijuana legalization largely because you don't quite realize that there are ways other than smoking the plant to benefit from its affects.

Perhaps you're correct. The main issue I have with marijuana is the second hand smoke. I do understand that there are other ways to consume marijuana but, again, from my own personal experience, or at least from what I've noticed, a lot of people choose to smoke it. Perhaps I was too careless with my word choice, hence the backlash I've been receiving.

Fuzzy Phantom

You're almost acting as if smoke crawls into your bedroom at night.

I'm not attacking you or saying I am 100% right.

I just think before you set yourself in the opposition of anything in life, you must view it from all sides.

In my opinion, strictly opinion, I do not see how anybody can base their thoughts of something they hear rather than a self-experience.

Hallowed Smoker

Luchanchan
Doofi3

Perhaps you're correct. The main issue I have with marijuana is the second hand smoke. I do understand that there are other ways to consume marijuana but, again, from my own personal experience, or at least from what I've noticed, a lot of people choose to smoke it. Perhaps I was too careless with my word choice, hence the backlash I've been receiving.

Unless you're in a closet with no ventilation, second hand smoke (from anything) dispersed after 3 to 9 feet. Rendering it harmless.

Also, contact highs are a myth, except under very specific circumstances

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
Luchanchan
Xx-LeGii_TyLeR--

Have you ever gotten a contact high from the smoke? If not, you most likely aren't breathing enough of it in to be damaged by it in anyway. (Unless you have EXTREMELY sensitive lungs, in which case you could always try calling the police.)

Luchanchan

I don't see as it matters whether you've tried it or not. It isn't really difficult to see that prohibition simply does not work.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
Xx-LeGii_TyLeR--

It does actually. Every. Single. Night. It's especially bad in the summer. I'm afraid of opening my window but it gets awfully hot and a ceiling fan/humidifier doesn't work. I have asthma and at times I'm truly afraid I'll choke and die.

Fuzzy Phantom

I have asthma as well.

I smoke a half a pack a day and a couple bowls every other night.

You'll be fine, dude.

Hallowed Smoker

Luchanchan
Xx-LeGii_TyLeR--

It does actually. Every. Single. Night. It's especially bad in the summer. I'm afraid of opening my window but it gets awfully hot and a ceiling fan/humidifier doesn't work. I have asthma and at times I'm truly afraid I'll choke and die.

Cannabis opens the bronchial tubes preventing, and treating asthma attacks.
Mister George Kapland

Alright, so I've read through your OP and I understand where you're coming from and as I've mentioned in my first post way back when I can see the logic in it. But personally, as in my personal opinion that is obviously steeped in bias hence the word personally.

And I apologize for the unjustified attack. I will make no excuses for it so feel free to punch me in the gut for it. I'll accept it openly.

And no, it doesn't help with my asthma. Oh no, no, no. It only makes it much, much worse.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff