Welcome to Gaia! ::

Helmsee
razorsarz
Helmsee
razorsarz
I love the dope head that think its just the best thing in the world. The ones its not addictive at all to it but just are not functional with out smoking it everyday. its never going to happen get over it. you can make gas out of it and the oil companies know it and it would kill the lumber industry and they know that as well.
I dont know where you live, but in my state Calfornia, ANYONE can get a weed card for around 100 dollars.
you can do that here dose not make it legal. you go to some fake doctor pretend to be sick and you get one. but you can't go to 7/11 and get weed from it.
completely legal. and in my city there are pot clubs EVERYWHERE.
nope its not pro 19 did not pass its not. medical is legal the town you are in might be looking the other way but its still not legal in cal. Look it up man http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/California_Proposition_19,_the_Marijuana_Legalization_Initiative_(2010) .
medicinal marijuana is recognized in the whole state of california. Trust me just because pot is not legal for anyone over 18 does not mean its not legal. takes about 1hour to get your doctors not and thats it. AND marijuana in my state has a maximum of 100 dollar fine for personal possesion and it wont even go on your record.
Mannequin Harpsichord
Green Heroine
Mannequin Harpsichord

Just because it's not completely obvious doesn't mean that a drug is not affecting your judgement. If you get pulled over and they take you in and test for drugs they'll find it and it'll be a DUI.

Lets just put it this way, if you're to stoned to drive effectively, you're to high to find your keys in the first place

Yeah we thought that about 0.9 blood alcohol levels and we were wrong too. It doesn't have to be gross mishandling of the vehicle, just a misjudgment about whether the turn is a leading or lagging left, or how far you have to stop before hitting the car in front of you or ending up in an intersection.

Making marijuana legal doesn't mean making it legal to drive under the influence. As someone who has taken marijuana before and as someone whose associates are I assure you very familiar with marijuana, I can honestly say that I've never actually heard of anyone, ever, having marijuana flashbacks. I could see someone smoking so much that they have enough THC in their system at any given moment where they could be somewhat affected by it, yes. Does that mean they are necessarily driving under the influence? Perhaps, but that's their issue. No, it shouldn't be legal to drive or operate machinery under the influence of marijuana, but there is a threshold, beneath which you should be able to drive just fine, yes?
Xarynian
Namarra
Xarynian
Namarra
Xarynian
Namarra

I smoked weed for a long time, eventually became paranoid, (financially) poor and secluded. I drink moderatly instead now, makes me get a good night sleep :3

Edit: there seems to be no limits to how much weed you can smoke in one night. To me, that is a definite threat to my wallet.

Heh - yeah weed is one of those things that no one has ODd on. Ever.
And it can get pricy - I just gotta watch it.

I kinda made the reverse move. I was going to parties where I drank hard alcohol maybe 5-6 nights a week, and I got to the point where I couldn't get a good night's sleep and I was worrying about the effects on my long term health. I cut it down to maybe one night a week and started smoking more. So far Ive been satisfied with my choice.

I wouldn't say never though. Some people in my area have been transported to the emergency room for psychosis on the stuff - guess it depends on your definition of OD. You can really never be sure of all the products they use on it (notably pesticide).The victims were young and went through hell. Just goes to show you should not buy from big lucrative organizations such as the Hell's Angels. They'll use anything on the plants as long as they get the quantity needed for $ ;>.>

Well laced pot is always a problem. But if you're actually smoking weed, it won't kill you.
As opposed to alcohol, where the amount needed to get a buzz is roughly 1/8 a lethal dose.

Only few people have the predisposition to become alcoholics; most people just fall asleep after they've had enough. It's a defense mechanism; the body just considers it as poisoning. If I wasn't so tired I'd find a link for you - actually researched the topic during my second college semester. The percentage of people who actually don't have that self-defense mechanism is below 10%... But I'm past my fourth glass of wine so screw effort just chillin' rofl.

Oh it's low - most times people die from alcohol poisoning is when they drink quickly enough that their body doesn't have time to react, or when they pass out and vomit in their sleep, or when they do something like try to drive.
Alcohol is more addictive than marijuana and (although this is a very odd datum to have) there were roughly 36x as many people that died from alcohol poisoning as from laced pot in the UK. Im assuming it's pretty similar elsewhere. But which one is illegal again?

This IS a bit of an issue that I worry about. If marijuana becomes legal, rest assured you'll see large-scale marijuana farms which you know will go for quantity over quality, I mean I'm sure large-scale marijuana-growing operations clearly already do this if laced pot is a problem. Somehow I keep hearing about the poor quality of pot in the UK, the last time I heard anything about weed and the UK, I learned what grit weed was, now THAT is a scary thought.

Weed can be amazing, though. I'm not going to lie or pussyfoot around the issue, marijuana can be very, very fun. I'm not going to try to justify my enjoyment of weed. I don't drink, I don't smoke tobacco, I don't even drink coffee! I'm not shooting up heroin or running a meth lab. I'm not running over old ladies, robbing banks, or throwing myself out of windows. You know what I'm doing when I smoke weed? I'm socializing, making friends, appreciating the arts, meditating, reflecting on life, making art, etc etc. Even a minor high allows a level of appreciation and gratitude for the world around me. It isn't quite as profound as psilocybin or LSD or any of the more prestigious entheogens, but it is certainly a boundary-dissolving substance with the potential for encouraging empathy, cohesion, cooperation, acceptance, pleasure, relaxation, understanding, and yes, I'll say it, fun. No, it isn't a cure-all, but I'm not at all ashamed of being an advocate of marijuana, of its acceptance by others as something which ought to be legal, and its use by those who are mature enough to be able to have control over their habits, instead of letting their habits control them.

Now, I don't have to get high in order to appreciate and love those around me. It would be a mistake to say that marijuana alone has made me a good person, because smoking weed does not automatically suddenly make you get your act together (although the higher order of entheogens can, if used properly). It can be abused, just like anything else. I wouldn't smoke it while driving, or operating machinery, or at work or school or while doing homework (well, it depends on what the assignment is, but unless you have the discipline to use it the right way, you're probably just wasting weed) or things which, you know, actually require sobriety.

That said, if we have the discipline to allow alcohol, then it's perfectly silly to make weed illegal. If anything, alcohol is a much worse drug with the strong potential for abuse and damage, including death. Thousands of people die from alcohol every year, and the places it takes people aren't places I really want to go at all. I'm not saying we should bring back prohibition, in fact prohibition is a terrible idea, but goodness, when I look at the gap between alcohol's negative effects and marijuana's negative effects, it's staggering. Part of me almost thinks of the difference between them like the difference between a moody loudmouth falling over, and a soft-spoken hippie doing tai chi.

Invisible Browser

10,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Xarynian
Namarra
Xarynian
Namarra
Xarynian
Namarra

I smoked weed for a long time, eventually became paranoid, (financially) poor and secluded. I drink moderatly instead now, makes me get a good night sleep :3

Edit: there seems to be no limits to how much weed you can smoke in one night. To me, that is a definite threat to my wallet.

Heh - yeah weed is one of those things that no one has ODd on. Ever.
And it can get pricy - I just gotta watch it.

I kinda made the reverse move. I was going to parties where I drank hard alcohol maybe 5-6 nights a week, and I got to the point where I couldn't get a good night's sleep and I was worrying about the effects on my long term health. I cut it down to maybe one night a week and started smoking more. So far Ive been satisfied with my choice.

I wouldn't say never though. Some people in my area have been transported to the emergency room for psychosis on the stuff - guess it depends on your definition of OD. You can really never be sure of all the products they use on it (notably pesticide).The victims were young and went through hell. Just goes to show you should not buy from big lucrative organizations such as the Hell's Angels. They'll use anything on the plants as long as they get the quantity needed for $ ;>.>

Well laced pot is always a problem. But if you're actually smoking weed, it won't kill you.
As opposed to alcohol, where the amount needed to get a buzz is roughly 1/8 a lethal dose.

Only few people have the predisposition to become alcoholics; most people just fall asleep after they've had enough. It's a defense mechanism; the body just considers it as poisoning. If I wasn't so tired I'd find a link for you - actually researched the topic during my second college semester. The percentage of people who actually don't have that self-defense mechanism is below 10%... But I'm past my fourth glass of wine so screw effort just chillin' rofl.

Oh it's low - most times people die from alcohol poisoning is when they drink quickly enough that their body doesn't have time to react, or when they pass out and vomit in their sleep, or when they do something like try to drive.
Alcohol is more addictive than marijuana and (although this is a very odd datum to have) there were roughly 36x as many people that died from alcohol poisoning as from laced pot in the UK. Im assuming it's pretty similar elsewhere. But which one is illegal again?

What's low? Just stated facts base on a research I had previously made... Then again I forget that this always has to be a "I'm right your wrong" kinda thing. Oh well~ I don't care enough to put effort into convincing you too much weed is bad for you; your brain & body: your decision. If you started smoking past 25 years old (which barely ever happens) then it didn't impair your brain in its developpement. The reticulate formation of the brain is fully developed by age 25 (course it's an approx. time based on average). If you've done your homework you know weed (not laced) affects the parts of the brain that aren't fully developped yet.
Taikyoku
Moratuoa
1.) Lack of consistent scientific proof to back up the idea that marijuana is the best solution
Solution to what, exactly?
Quote:
2.) Smoking is a bad idea and shouldn't be encouraged
Why?
Quote:
3.) Currently,marijuana is not regulated and this creates dangers.
What dangers?
Quote:
4.) It is a stepping stone to worse drugs.
How is it a stepping stone and which drugs does it lead to?
I only summed up the opposing side because the OP asked about it. If you want the specifics that answer almost all of your questions, you can look them up in the link that I already provided. You actually had to delete the link that answered most of your own questions when you replied to me. c:
Green Heroine
For now, why don't they spend the money used arresting the users, and fund a research for it.
Government funds don't work that way. The money used for health care research is in a separate fund from the money used for law enforcement.
Green Heroine
For marijuana to be consumed, it doesn't have to be inhaled. There are edibles and vapors as of now, and in other countries, they are trying to discover a pill form.
Do you mean marinol/ tetrahydrocannabinol/THC?
Green Heroine
It could be regulated if it were legalized. In california the dispensaries have routine inspections to make sure it meets the standards, and if you still get a DUI if you drive high. But theirs no need to regulae it as of now because its illegal in most places.
You do realize that I'm not taking the side of "no marijuana" right? You asked for the opposing viewpoint and I provided a link and summed up a few of their main points.
Green Heroine
But it being a gateway drug is almost inevitable. But legalizing it would eliminate the connections to hard-core drug users. The other support is that it gets the idea in your head that its ok to inhale smoke, and get high, which is inevitable. Then there's tolerance. You won't need to find another kind of high due to tolerance building up if you take a T-Break once in a while. I can't find any way to mitigate this problem.
I assume that if people want to use drugs, they will start with the easiest and most accessible one first, though that does not make marijuana evil.

5,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
It's thought to have cause mental health issues, hallucinations, etc. However, in it's pure form it's much less harmful than other recreational drugs. Although I would smoke marijuana, legalisation would allow it to be controlled rather than it being trafficked.
Namarra
Xarynian
Namarra
Xarynian
Namarra

What's low? Just stated facts base on a research I had previously made... Then again I forget that this always has to be a "I'm right your wrong" kinda thing. Oh well~ I don't care enough to put effort into convincing you too much weed is bad for you; your brain & body: your decision. If you started smoking past 25 years old (which barely ever happens) then it didn't impair your brain in its developpement. The reticulate formation of the brain is fully developed by age 25 (course it's an approx. time based on average). If you've done your homework you know weed (not laced) affects the parts of the brain that aren't fully developped yet.

Alcohol is also damaging to brain development.
Im not saying weed is completely harmless (although I am saying it's not lethal).
I'm mostly just saying that by every reasonable standard, perfectly legal substances like booze are worse. So if we're going to legalize booze there's no reason not to legalize pot.
I am against the glorification of weed, not weed itself.
If alcohol is legal so should weed. I have done many mistakes on alcohol like arguing for no reason with people i love and care.
Not with weed. I am too mellow for that.

PS: I have stopped smoking and rarely smoke now.

8,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Taikyoku
Mannequin Harpsichord
Green Heroine
Mannequin Harpsichord

Just because it's not completely obvious doesn't mean that a drug is not affecting your judgement. If you get pulled over and they take you in and test for drugs they'll find it and it'll be a DUI.

Lets just put it this way, if you're to stoned to drive effectively, you're to high to find your keys in the first place

Yeah we thought that about 0.9 blood alcohol levels and we were wrong too. It doesn't have to be gross mishandling of the vehicle, just a misjudgment about whether the turn is a leading or lagging left, or how far you have to stop before hitting the car in front of you or ending up in an intersection.

Making marijuana legal doesn't mean making it legal to drive under the influence. As someone who has taken marijuana before and as someone whose associates are I assure you very familiar with marijuana, I can honestly say that I've never actually heard of anyone, ever, having marijuana flashbacks. I could see someone smoking so much that they have enough THC in their system at any given moment where they could be somewhat affected by it, yes. Does that mean they are necessarily driving under the influence? Perhaps, but that's their issue. No, it shouldn't be legal to drive or operate machinery under the influence of marijuana, but there is a threshold, beneath which you should be able to drive just fine, yes?

I don't know about the threshold of marijuana. I think that have to take you to the station to measure it right? It's not like alcohol that you can test people on the side of the road. It also depends on what kind of stuff you had, right? Some are stronger than others and there's no labeling to give it a number like there is with alcohol. What's wrong with the pill form? Everyone wants to smoke it for some reason even though all of the positive studies have been on the pill form which is regulated and whatnot.

Fashionable Conversationalist

11,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Megathread 100
I have no issue with legalization of marijuana. I have a lot of issues with people who think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. They scare me.

gaia_angelleft gaia_star gaia_angelright
Mannequin Harpsichord
Taikyoku
Mannequin Harpsichord
Green Heroine
Mannequin Harpsichord

I don't know about the threshold of marijuana. I think that have to take you to the station to measure it right? It's not like alcohol that you can test people on the side of the road. It also depends on what kind of stuff you had, right? Some are stronger than others and there's no labeling to give it a number like there is with alcohol. What's wrong with the pill form? Everyone wants to smoke it for some reason even though all of the positive studies have been on the pill form which is regulated and whatnot.

I'm not entirely sure whether or not they'd have to take you down to the station to test you, but if your driving has been horrible, then I'd say that's probably a good idea whether or not you're stoned. The bottom line is that if you're endangering others, you're endangering others.

It's true that there's not (usually, anwyays) a label on marijuana saying "hey, you're getting X amount of THC in your system per hit," but like with alcohol, it's up to the user to keep alive some little voice in their head from the very first time they take a hit, a little voice that will at some point say "Okay, now it's time to stop, you're high/drunk (same thing, drunk = high on alcohol) enough." Different dosages can do different things to different people, but that's true of alcohol, as well as pretty much any intoxicant. And we probably would be able to put "numbers" and things like nutritional information on marijuana, but only if we legalize it. Otherwise, it depends on strain, user, tolerance, etc, like with alcohol.

If you're a medical patient, sure, go ahead and take cannabinoids in pill form. It IS sensible to actually know the dosage, if you're using it as a medicine. There's really no medical sense in asking a patient to smoke any substance which can be administered in a safer manner, because the act of smoking isn't very fun for your respiratory system. That said, your lungs aren't going to suddenly explode all over the place, or shrivel up and fall off the instant you smoke. The reason everyone wants to smoke it is because that's simply one of the main ways it's been taken, for thousands of years, and for some people, smoking itself can be pleasurable. It certainly makes the effects come on pretty much instantly, although the downside is that it can also mean a shorter duration. When it's ingested, it can take a while to actually feel the high, but it lasts longer. That's what I've heard, anyways, since my one experience with edibles turned out to be a dud, it was made with incorrectly-prepared pot butter, which led to pretty much no effects. On the other hand, on the basis of taste alone, it tasted pretty good! But I digress.
Moratuoa
Taikyoku
Moratuoa
1.) Lack of consistent scientific proof to back up the idea that marijuana is the best solution
Solution to what, exactly?
Quote:
Why?
Quote:
What dangers?
Quote:
How is it a stepping stone and which drugs does it lead to?
I only summed up the opposing side because the OP asked about it. If you want the specifics that answer almost all of your questions, you can look them up in the link that I already provided. You actually had to delete the link that answered most of your own questions when you replied to me. c:

Oh, now I understand, you were simply explaining the usual arguments against legalization, not actually arguing against legalization yourself. Well, alright then! No worries!

Hallowed Smoker

Moratuoa
Green Heroine
After doing all this research about it, why does America work towards jailing the users for it? and why is it only legal in some states in the U.S. only for medical use? Why can't it be recreational like aall parts of thatlcohol and cigarettes? Of course there would be some regulations, like illegal to traffic it, and you can only buy it at dispensaries, or only allowed to own 2 or 3 plants for personal use..
Here are some of the basic sides to this problem.

To sum up a few of the "why nots"
all parts of that 4 part question are bullshit

A) solution for what?
B) ALL THE PRESSURE IN SOCIETYY IS ON NOT TO SMOKE. Furthermore. Cannabis can be eaten, vaporized and drank.
C) which is why it should belgal and regulated.
D) The gateway drug theory is so antiquated and proven wrong for so many years (1973) that only idiots try to use it now.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff