Welcome to Gaia! ::

This idea branched off in my other thread, Legalizing Prostitution. I hear about this debate at my school a lot, like the kids know what the hell their talking about, but some of their arguements make a lot of sense sometimes.
I did some research on it earlier, and I did some research on it, I found some infographics that made the idea of criminalizing it look insane, and here are some links:
- Infographic A
- Infographic B (Text a bit small, but headers are legible)
- Infographic C

Then I read (forgot the source) that little research has been done to prove that it promotes cancers and makes your brain liquid poop.

After doing all this research about it, why does America work towards jailing the users for it? and why is it only legal in some states in the U.S. only for medical use? Why can't it be recreational like alcohol and cigarettes? Of course there would be some regulations, like illegal to traffic it, and you can only buy it at dispensaries, or only allowed to own 2 or 3 plants for personal use..

Edit -
- Infographic D
Green Heroine
After doing all this research about it, why does America work towards jailing the users for it? and why is it only legal in some states in the U.S. only for medical use? Why can't it be recreational like alcohol and cigarettes? Of course there would be some regulations, like illegal to traffic it, and you can only buy it at dispensaries, or only allowed to own 2 or 3 plants for personal use..
Here are some of the basic sides to this problem.

To sum up a few of the "why nots"
1.) Lack of consistent scientific proof to back up the idea that marijuana is the best solution
2.) Smoking is a bad idea and shouldn't be encouraged
3.) Currently,marijuana is not regulated and this creates dangers.
4.) It is a stepping stone to worse drugs.
Moratuoa
1.) Lack of consistent scientific proof to back up the idea that marijuana is the best solution
Solution to what, exactly?
Quote:
Why?
Quote:
What dangers?
Quote:
How is it a stepping stone and which drugs does it lead to?

8,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Alcohol, although dangerous, leaves the system in approximately 7 hours. Marijuana can have effects days afterwards, even weeks for heavy users. Marijuana stores in body fat and may release at any time relatively, making it unpredictable. With alcohol you know that you just drank and that you should not drive, with marijuana you should not drive for at least 2 days lest you risk getting high randomly while driving.
Moratuoa

To sum up a few of the "why nots"

For now, why don't they spend the money used arresting the users, and fund a research for it.
For marijuana to be consumed, it doesn't have to be inhaled. There are edibles and vapors as of now, and in other countries, they are trying to discover a pill form.
It could be regulated if it were legalized. In california the dispensaries have routine inspections to make sure it meets the standards, and if you still get a DUI if you drive high. But theirs no need to regulae it as of now because its illegal in most places.

But it being a gateway drug is almost inevitable. But legalizing it would eliminate the connections to hard-core drug users. The other support is that it gets the idea in your head that its ok to inhale smoke, and get high, which is inevitable. Then there's tolerance. You won't need to find another kind of high due to tolerance building up if you take a T-Break once in a while. I can't find any way to mitigate this problem.

Shameless Gekko

9,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
If there were a way to regulate it, I don't see why not, to be honest. Sure, it promotes smoking, but so does the government. For something so God awful, they sure have done well to keep it around for the sake of the taxes they reap. So why should Marijuana be any different?

The thing is, for as long as it has been illegal and for all the various kinds people concoct, it would be incredibly hard to keep it a going crop in the economic cycle when people can illegally surpass taxes and add illegal stuff to it.
Mannequin Harpsichord
Alcohol, although dangerous, leaves the system in approximately 7 hours. Marijuana can have effects days afterwards, even weeks for heavy users. Marijuana stores in body fat and may release at any time relatively, making it unpredictable. With alcohol you know that you just drank and that you should not drive, with marijuana you should not drive for at least 2 days lest you risk getting high randomly while driving.
I've never heard of this. But I think these are refered to by users as 'flashbacks'. I've been looking around and me, my friends, IRL and fellow forum-users, has never experienced one of these. And anybody that says they've had on is considered BS

8,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Green Heroine
Mannequin Harpsichord
I've never heard of this. But I think these are refered to by users as 'flashbacks'. I've been looking around and all my me, my friends, IRL and fellow forum-users has never experienced one of these. And anybody that says they've had on is considered BS

Just because it's not completely obvious doesn't mean that a drug is not affecting your judgement. If you get pulled over and they take you in and test for drugs they'll find it and it'll be a DUI.
Mannequin Harpsichord

Just because it's not completely obvious doesn't mean that a drug is not affecting your judgement. If you get pulled over and they take you in and test for drugs they'll find it and it'll be a DUI.

Lets just put it this way, if you're to stoned to drive effectively, you're to high to find your keys in the first place

8,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Green Heroine
Mannequin Harpsichord

Lets just put it this way, if you're to stoned to drive effectively, you're to high to find your keys in the first place

Yeah we thought that about 0.9 blood alcohol levels and we were wrong too. It doesn't have to be gross mishandling of the vehicle, just a misjudgment about whether the turn is a leading or lagging left, or how far you have to stop before hitting the car in front of you or ending up in an intersection.

Greedy Consumer

Green Heroine
Mannequin Harpsichord
I've never heard of this. But I think these are refered to by users as 'flashbacks'. I've been looking around and me, my friends, IRL and fellow forum-users, has never experienced one of these. And anybody that says they've had on is considered BS
Its not bs, there are fat soluable components in marijuana. It can get stored in the fat of the human body, and when your body recirculates it you can get affects, I heard a person crashed a plane because of this,

http://www.detox-narconon.org/marijuana-detox.html
It's not exactly the drug aspect of it that is keeping it from becoming legalized.
Marijuana is a superior fiber when it comes to making paper.
Big businesses such as paper companies have their hands in politicians pockets.
Most of these politician owe these large companies and pretty much have to vote what the company wants.
Paper companies of course don't want marijuana legalized because it could cause a huge dent in their business and may force them to shut down eventually.
So pretty much they tell the politicians to vote no when it comes to making it legal.
Does that make sense?

Invisible Browser

10,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Green Heroine
This idea branched off in my other thread, Legalizing Prostitution. I hear about this debate at my school a lot, like the kids know what the hell their talking about, but some of their arguements make a lot of sense sometimes.
I did some research on it earlier, and I did some research on it, I found some infographics that made the idea of criminalizing it look insane, and here are some links:
- Infographic A
- Infographic B (Text a bit small, but headers are legible)
- Infographic C

Then I read (forgot the source) that little research has been done to prove that it promotes cancers and makes your brain liquid poop.

Edit -
- Infographic D

I don't view marijuana use as dramatic and deserving of such severe sanctions yet the argument always remains that if you completely dedramatize the use of marijuana other stronger drugs will replace it as a deliquent thrill.
Rainbow Kazoo
It's not exactly the drug aspect of it that is keeping it from becoming legalized.
Marijuana is a superior fiber when it comes to making paper.
Big businesses such as paper companies have their hands in politicians pockets.
Most of these politician owe these large companies and pretty much have to vote what the company wants.
Paper companies of course don't want marijuana legalized because it could cause a huge dent in their business and may force them to shut down eventually.
So pretty much they tell the politicians to vote no when it comes to making it legal.
Does that make sense?
why dont the paper companies switch to hemp paper?
I love the dope head that think its just the best thing in the world. The ones its not addictive at all to it but just are not functional with out smoking it everyday. its never going to happen get over it. you can make gas out of it and the oil companies know it and it would kill the lumber industry and they know that as well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff