Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Blind Guardian the 2nd
Camera Stellata
iSyte
This offers no discussion, but for what it's worth I'll think that you'll find that Thatcher is one of the most hated Prime Ministers this country has ever seen.
More accuarately she was polarising and divisive. She stood for three general elections in a row and won all of them so clearly not hated in every quarter.

Two of those elections were one thanks to the nationalist whip that was the Falklands War.
If you're a Tory and want to win a majority you shouldn't be afraid to bang the nationalist drum. It's something that connects the party with working class voters and where neither Labour nor the Liberals can compete.

Quote:
Thatcher was brilliant for throwing free s**t into the hands of already wealthy individuals and dismantling public services for the common person, so don't give me this ******** as if you know what the hell ever went on in Thatcher's UK.
Let us not forget what she did by allowing tennants to become home owners by letting them buy their old council houses or by encouraging the public to buy shares in the newly prvatised industries like British Telecom. Those will have paid off handsomly by the way. She was clearly interested in transforming society, cultivating an entrepreneurial spirit, not just pandering to the haves at the expense of the have nots.

Personally I'm not a great Thatcherite, but Britain was a total basket case before she came to power and Britian does, on the face of it, appear to have been a lot healthier at the end of her tenure than it was at the beginning.
Blind Guardian the 2nd
Old Blue Collar Joe
You have to remember people no longer vote for what or who is best for the country. They vote for whoever promises them the most free s**t. So, although MT was a great PM, she wouldn't get elected today, because she wasn't a fan of the candyass attitude, and that is what dominates now.

******** off Joe. Thatcher was brilliant for throwing free s**t into the hands of already wealthy individuals and dismantling public services for the common person, so don't give me this ******** as if you know what the hell ever went on in Thatcher's UK.

Oh. So sorry. Didn't mean to upset the little drone. I distracted you from wanting more free s**t because 'you deserve it'.
******** off and pull your own weight.
Camera Stellata
Let us not forget what she did by allowing tennants to become home owners by letting them buy their old council houses

They could not buy a house before?
If Meryl Streep deigned to portray her, she is good enough for me.

7,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Dostya
Camera Stellata
Let us not forget what she did by allowing tennants to become home owners by letting them buy their old council houses

They couldn't buy their council house before, or at least they couldn't without the permission of the local authority that ran it. The Thatcher government gave tennants a right to buy their council homes and allowed them to do so at a discount based on how long they had been living there.
I will first state I dislike Margaret Thatcher, so I shall not be watching your link. Sadly, I am old enough to be around when she put forth her social policy, and the consequences of her achievments. And her friend Ronald for that matter. I disagree with much of what she did with the power she worked so hard to achieve. Sadly, for me, the things I admire she had done as a woman, is outweighed by the bad policy she implemented, and the fragmentation of nation.

I recently watched, reluctantly I must add, the Meryl Streep movie 'The Iron Lady'. To see if it would give me more insight into the 'person' behind the politician. To allow the viewer, maybe, to walk in her shoes, and the difficulties she encounted. Sadly, not me.

I felt the moral of the story was: when I get alzehimer's, or when I am slipping into it, I had better make sure most of the s**t I recall is nicer than Margaret Thatcher's. Of the people she governed, and the family she loved.

So far, so good. My senility is looking rosy.

She may not have been outwardly as Right Wing as Enoch Powell, but she loved his ideas of a free market economy. And hasn't deregulation done everyone the world of good?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Dostya
Camera Stellata

Yes they could, but it was rare for owners of the projects to wish to sell their properties. A council house is a special category of low-income housing. Under the Right to Buy program, tenants had greater opportunities to buy the houses, and at a discount that factored in rent they had paid and the length of time they had lived there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_Buy
Camera Stellata
Blind Guardian the 2nd
Camera Stellata
iSyte
This offers no discussion, but for what it's worth I'll think that you'll find that Thatcher is one of the most hated Prime Ministers this country has ever seen.
More accuarately she was polarising and divisive. She stood for three general elections in a row and won all of them so clearly not hated in every quarter.

Two of those elections were one thanks to the nationalist whip that was the Falklands War.
If you're a Tory and want to win a majority you shouldn't be afraid to bang the nationalist drum. It's something that connects the party with working class voters and where neither Labour nor the Liberals can compete.

Quote:
Thatcher was brilliant for throwing free s**t into the hands of already wealthy individuals and dismantling public services for the common person, so don't give me this ******** as if you know what the hell ever went on in Thatcher's UK.
Let us not forget what she did by allowing tennants to become home owners by letting them buy their old council houses or by encouraging the public to buy shares in the newly prvatised industries like British Telecom. Those will have paid off handsomly by the way. She was clearly interested in transforming society, cultivating an entrepreneurial spirit, not just pandering to the haves at the expense of the have nots.

Personally I'm not a great Thatcherite, but Britain was a total basket case before she came to power and Britian does, on the face of it, appear to have been a lot healthier at the end of her tenure than it was at the beginning.

I object to any use of nationalism as a means of collecting votes due to national unions being inherently imaginary. It was a sublime piece of propaganda: and propaganda is a shameful practice.

Yes, I certainly won't forget the ruination of social housing in the United Kingdom by Thatcher which has subsequently eradicated affordable housing for first-time buyers and eliminated the long-term rental market for those uninterested in making a purchase. You might harp on about an self-centred capitalist spirit, but the failure of addressing Thatcher's policy by all governments that have followed has caused a real housing crisis: only the rich can buy, and especially the young are now being faced with the issue of having no secure place of residence of their own. The rental market in the UK operates almost exclusively upon shorthold tenancy agreements, which grant the landlord the ability evict tenants with only two months notice, no matter how long their tenancy has been running, and with absolutely no reason for eviction other than the landlord's whims. Thanks to the removal of much existing social housing, it has developed a genuine housing problem when coupled with policies such as this, and has placed the ability of landlords to make money above the individual's right to a home as enshrined in the European Convention on Human Rights.

Britain appears to be healthier now the produce of her banking deregulation has come to its frightful fruition? Right.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Blind Guardian the 2nd
Old Blue Collar Joe
You have to remember people no longer vote for what or who is best for the country. They vote for whoever promises them the most free s**t. So, although MT was a great PM, she wouldn't get elected today, because she wasn't a fan of the candyass attitude, and that is what dominates now.

******** off Joe. Thatcher was brilliant for throwing free s**t into the hands of already wealthy individuals and dismantling public services for the common person, so don't give me this ******** as if you know what the hell ever went on in Thatcher's UK.

Oh. So sorry. Didn't mean to upset the little drone. I distracted you from wanting more free s**t because 'you deserve it'.
******** off and pull your own weight.

Ahaha, yes, a "drone". I'm a "drone" because I oppose a militaristic, poor-hating plutocrat witch who was only too happy to put money into the pockets of big business while driving the unemployment rate to three million people in the United Kingdom. She was complacent with using cavalry charges into unarmed civilians during a worker's strike, and allowing corrupt police officials to fabricate testimonies which permitted their excessive use of force and an attempted prosecution of protesters (which was eventually thrown out by the courts, yet not investigated during her premiership despite the obvious dark forces at work) plus allowing the same police force to conduct the exact same activities when their behaviour led to the death of 96 individuals at Hillsborough football stadium. Oh, and then there's the war crime she personally ordered in the Falklands conflict: the sinking of the General Belgrano.

Now do not think I am partisan here. Almost all the political parties of this island consist of shifty, corrupt criminals. But I resent the idea of that woman being a "great" Prime Minister when she enacted illegal violence against both the British public and Argentine conscripts, in addition to turning a blind eye to the unlawful activities of South Yorkshire Police. Moreover there's the housing crisis she has created in contemporary Britain through her neo-liberal agenda. But I don't expect you to know all that Joe, because you don't seem to give a ******** about what the ideology you support produces so long as it has nothing to do with you.

I work for a University that has, like plenty of other British Universities, had the majority of its state funding removed. I do pull my own weight, and I will at least give Thatcher some credit for respecting the sanctity of our education institutions. Thatcher not only kept state funding for University education, but made that education free for all who met the entry requirements. Something her modern neo-liberal counterparts have turned their back upon.

3,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Contributor 150
The Catfish Blues
Pro Life Nymph
The Catfish Blues
Dardanos Immortalis
The Catfish Blues
Obvious troll is obvious. Thatcher was not a her.

Umm, yes she is.
margaret Thatcher is a man
Prove it

The Catfish Blues

Thatcher had bigger balls than Major.
That's just quoting a yourself, not proving anything. Proof constitutes pics, or an unbiased source. Try again or forever be labeled a Troll

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
Pro Life Nymph
The Catfish Blues
Pro Life Nymph
The Catfish Blues
Dardanos Immortalis

Umm, yes she is.
margaret Thatcher is a man
Prove it

The Catfish Blues

Thatcher had bigger balls than Major.
That's just quoting a yourself, not proving anything. Proof constitutes pics, or an unbiased source. Try again or forever be labeled a Troll
You want a pic of thatchers manhood?

Dapper Reveler

I don't know anything at all about British politics.

7,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Blind Guardian the 2nd
Camera Stellata
Blind Guardian the 2nd
Camera Stellata
iSyte

Quote:

I object to any use of nationalism as a means of collecting votes due to national unions being inherently imaginary. It was a sublime piece of propaganda: and propaganda is a shameful practice.

Yes, I certainly won't forget the ruination of social housing in the United Kingdom by Thatcher which has subsequently eradicated affordable housing for first-time buyers and eliminated the long-term rental market for those uninterested in making a purchase. You might harp on about an self-centred capitalist spirit, but the failure of addressing Thatcher's policy by all governments that have followed has caused a real housing crisis: only the rich can buy, and especially the young are now being faced with the issue of having no secure place of residence of their own. The rental market in the UK operates almost exclusively upon shorthold tenancy agreements, which grant the landlord the ability evict tenants with only two months notice, no matter how long their tenancy has been running, and with absolutely no reason for eviction other than the landlord's whims. Thanks to the removal of much existing social housing, it has developed a genuine housing problem when coupled with policies such as this, and has placed the ability of landlords to make money above the individual's right to a home as enshrined in the European Convention on Human Rights.

Britain appears to be healthier now the produce of her banking deregulation has come to its frightful fruition? Right.
Oh the nation state is quite real. It exists both physically as the sum total of our people, our society and its institutions and, more importantly, as our history, our national story; it exists both in a real sense and as an idea in our hearts and minds. You just happen to invest yourself in other ideas no more and no less "imaginery".

The agenda must to be to enable as many people as possible to become home owners and not to have them paying rent either to a local authority or a private landlord. I think its a positive thing to have as many possible invest in property and have something to either a) help them pay for themselves in their old age or b) pass on to their children. I want to to live in a country where everyone who goes and puts in an honest days work is able to provide for themselves a spot of land, brick and mortar to call their own. Clearly we should still have emergency housing for those unable to find anywhere, but in pricniple, allowing people who can afford it, to buy their own home is no bad thing. If someone lived in their council home for 40 years and wants to buy it to pass it onto their children, would you want to stop them? It's about social mobility as much as anything.

You seem to have forgotten the ten years or so years of Labour government in the run up to the financial crisis.
Churchill was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

7,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Blind Guardian the 2nd
Oh, and then there's the war crime she personally ordered in the Falklands conflict: the sinking of the General Belgrano.
Not that you care, but whatever small amount of respect I may have had for you has just evaporated.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff