Welcome to Gaia! ::

Manspreading?

Yay 0.27777777777778 27.8% [ 15 ]
Nay 0.72222222222222 72.2% [ 39 ]
Total Votes:[ 54 ]
1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 >

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/nyregion/MTA-targets-manspreading-on-new-york-city-subways.html?_r=0

According to the above link, New York City's Transit Authority will (or has, given the date of the article) start/ed a social awareness campaign against the practice of manspreading. This is defined as sitting with one's legs in a large v-shape. The offenders are almost all men. This is problematic, according to the transit authority and other riders because it causes these men to take up two or sometimes three seats on the NY subway, which is widely used in the city.

People in support of the campaign come from all angles; riders who see it as sexual harassment, as men asserting authority, to men just being inconsiderate. Those against it see the campaign as childish and as an attack on masculinity. Still others were raising medical concerns that sitting with the legs closely together will hurt sperm count.

My opinion on this was best expressed by an owner of a noted men's spa in New York: "A true gentleman doesn’t sit on the subway, he stands."

I am curious to hear other's opinions on this matter. Specifically, do you support the campaign or oppose it? If so, why? What are your takes on some of the arguments presented?
Riviera de la Mancha
People in support of the campaign come from all angles; riders who see it as sexual harassment
emotion_facepalm
I don't know what else to say about this ...
The20
Riviera de la Mancha
People in support of the campaign come from all angles; riders who see it as sexual harassment
emotion_facepalm

How about maybe an opinion on the actual topic?

Not that I don't appreciate pointing out sexual innuendos.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I disagree with the "A true gentleman stands" line, as it's perfectly acceptable to sit on a subway ride, but at the same time, I can't imagine a scenario where it would be acceptable for a gentleman to sit when there aren't more open seats than passengers, which would make any argument against spreading completely arbitrary.

Of course, whenever I'm on a crowded public transit system, I'm always the first person to vacate a seat, not out of a sense of manners, but because being seated on public transit when others are standing pretty much guarantees that your face is gonna wind up at crotch-level with someone you really don't want your face at crotch-level with. I'd rather be the crotch-er than the crotch-ee, y'know?

Feral Nymph

Okay. I am a feminist. But this is dumb as hell.

Is it rude? Well, yes, in the sense that you're taking up more space in a confined area. I don't see it as sexual harassment unless the guy is... I don't know... shouting at people to stare at his clothed junk? Aggressively wearing leggings? I think that'd get him booted off the subway/bus/etc at any rate.
Riviera de la Mancha
The20
Riviera de la Mancha
emotion_facepalm

The actual topic is about a development which is in part driven by certain elements who see men spreading their (fully clothed) leg as sexual harassment. Everything i could possibly say would fall back on how stupid i think those elements are.

On a side note, taking up more than one seat for yourself is not cool.
Keltoi Samurai
I disagree with the "A true gentleman stands" line, as it's perfectly acceptable to sit on a subway ride, but at the same time, I can't imagine a scenario where it would be acceptable for a gentleman to sit when there aren't more open seats than passengers, which would make any argument against spreading completely arbitrary.

Of course, whenever I'm on a crowded public transit system, I'm always the first person to vacate a seat, not out of a sense of manners, but because being seated on public transit when others are standing pretty much guarantees that your face is gonna wind up at crotch-level with someone you really don't want your face at crotch-level with. I'd rather be the crotch-er than the crotch-ee, y'know?

To me, the only time you as a guy should be sitting on a subway is if there is clearly space to sit on the subway, you have a medical condition requiring you to sit, or you are an elderly person.

I do the same, but that is because I was raised with manners. If you are an able person, you are supposed to stand so that others who can't may sit.
Pessimist
Okay. I am a feminist. But this is dumb as hell.

Is it rude? Well, yes, in the sense that you're taking up more space in a confined area. I don't see it as sexual harassment unless the guy is... I don't know... shouting at people to stare at his clothed junk? Aggressively wearing leggings? I think that'd get him booted off the subway/bus/etc at any rate.

I think the sexual harassment argument is certainly reaching, but I agree that its certainly disconcerting when you see a dude sitting with his legs like that. Especially because the fashion now is to either wear sagging pants, which run the risk of some free-ballin' going on, or skinny jeans, which expose a tightly wrapped banana.
The20
Riviera de la Mancha
The20
Riviera de la Mancha
emotion_facepalm

The actual topic is about a development which is in part driven by certain elements who see men spreading their (fully clothed) leg as sexual harassment. Everything i could possibly say would fall back on how stupid i think those elements are.

On a side note, taking up more than one seat for yourself is not cool.

That however is just one aspect. As I and the article note, there are several reasons. The biggest one seems to be that the practice takes up space on the crowded subway system.
Riviera de la Mancha
Keltoi Samurai

To me, the only time you as a guy should be sitting on a subway is if there is clearly space to sit on the subway, you have a medical condition requiring you to sit, or you are an elderly person.

I do the same, but that is because I was raised with manners. If you are an able person, you are supposed to stand so that others who can't may sit.
So women are not in a condition to stand in the subway?

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Riviera de la Mancha
Keltoi Samurai

I think we're in agreement there. Once the number of seats no longer outnumber the amount of asses by a wide margin, then the able-bodied gentleman and the man who doesn't want a face full of weird public-transit crotch take to their feet for the remainder of the ride.

Revered Vampire

12,350 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Member 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
âťť I don't see it as sexual harassment in any way, but I do see it as annoying/rude, regardless of the sex of the individual doing it. âťž

Deathly Protagonist

I would never consider it sexual harassment. But it is shitty public transport etiquette, and it's ******** annoying.

This happened to me today. I was on the bus to home, and nearly all seats were empty. This guy gets on, ignores every other seat, walks in a direct line to me and asks me to move my bag (was on the seat next to me) just so he could sit down. Then he sits with his legs apart like mentioned, pushing me to the wall of the bus in an awkward position that gave me back pain the entire ride home. I dunno what his problem was but way to go, a*****e.
The20
Riviera de la Mancha
Keltoi Samurai

So women are not in a condition to stand in the subway?

Not as well as a man should be generally.

If a woman is going to stand, then it should be by her choice or because she is giving her seat up to someone who should be sitting, like the infirmed or the elderly.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Mari Arara
I would never consider it sexual harassment. But it is shitty public transport etiquette, and it's ******** annoying.

This happened to me today. I was on the bus to home, and nearly all seats were empty. This guy gets on, ignores every other seat, walks in a direct line to me and asks me to move my bag (was on the seat next to me) just so he could sit down. Then he sits with his legs apart like mentioned, pushing me to the wall of the bus in an awkward position that gave me back pain the entire ride home. I dunno what his problem was but way to go, a*****e.

So, why again, is "purse as person" inherently more acceptable than "manspreading?"

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff