Welcome to Gaia! ::

why is this a thread? we already know life out in the universe is perfectly plausible. we also know that life forms based on many things other can carbon are plausible as well. then we can consider how complex life is on earth. then consider there are over a hundred billion galaxies each with over a hundred billion stars. signs point to why the ******** is there a thread about this?

hopefully we don't encounter bad aliens. "To Serve Man" is some scary s**t.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
There probably are, but as far as our solar system goes, they are most likely just starting out in life, you know? Micro-organisms, and things like that
Keltoi Samurai
Em3liiiie
Keltoi Samurai
Em3liiiie
ds loc14

With the amount of stars there are in space, I believe that other life exists. I believe there is another planet like Earth. I am not sure how advanced they are, as even simple one celled organisms in a lake on a distant planets can be meditated as life. I believe based on how advanced they are, their instincts could vary. Again, subculture can vary based on a lot of things. They do not look much different than us, as they do ultimately originate from the same universe, where our science is the same.

i agree with you!

you shouldn't

why?

because he's wrong, by virtue of limiting his scope to only encompass Earth-like conditions that would produce Human-like life. the laws of the universe don't inherently mean intelligent life will evolve human-like, merely the laws of how life evolved on Earth.

I mean, by the same logic, I could say we drive on the right side of the road in the US, so the only conceivable way to drive is on the right side of the road, and driving on the left side of the road is impossible by the very laws of nature.

well, we all have different opinions smile

1,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
If organisms could adapt over millions of years on earth (to the atmosphere, climate, conditions), then I'm sure it can happen on other planets as well.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Em3liiiie
Keltoi Samurai
Em3liiiie
Keltoi Samurai
Em3liiiie
ds loc14

With the amount of stars there are in space, I believe that other life exists. I believe there is another planet like Earth. I am not sure how advanced they are, as even simple one celled organisms in a lake on a distant planets can be meditated as life. I believe based on how advanced they are, their instincts could vary. Again, subculture can vary based on a lot of things. They do not look much different than us, as they do ultimately originate from the same universe, where our science is the same.

i agree with you!

you shouldn't

why?

because he's wrong, by virtue of limiting his scope to only encompass Earth-like conditions that would produce Human-like life. the laws of the universe don't inherently mean intelligent life will evolve human-like, merely the laws of how life evolved on Earth.

I mean, by the same logic, I could say we drive on the right side of the road in the US, so the only conceivable way to drive is on the right side of the road, and driving on the left side of the road is impossible by the very laws of nature.

ahh, yes, "we all have different opinions," the last refuge of those that know they are wrong.
Keltoi Samurai
Em3liiiie
Keltoi Samurai
Em3liiiie
Keltoi Samurai

you shouldn't

why?

ahh, yes, "we all have different opinions," the last refuge of those that know they are wrong.

hm, okej.. what's your problem? you obviously have some issues.. pms maybe?! ujujuj
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
agrab0ekim
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
agrab0ekim
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
You say theres 1,000 ways to propell, I say its all propelling, so its going to be fundemantally similar. The biggest issue I would think though would be the friction of the type of dirt on the planet for how they decide to travel by land, or if theres a significant difference in density of the fluid of their rivers or oceans.

if propulsion is propulsion, then is a jet engine similar to a leg?
as far as I know they can't evolve jet engines.

ever see how squid move?
its not a ******** jet engine

fine:
how is the squid propulsion, upon which the jet engine is designed, the same as a leg, or, hell, their near relative, an octopi
Em3liiiie
Keltoi Samurai
Em3liiiie
Keltoi Samurai
Em3liiiie
ds loc14

i agree with you!

you shouldn't

why?

yes, we all do
and several are wrong

Greedy Consumer

agrab0ekim
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
agrab0ekim
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
agrab0ekim
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
You say theres 1,000 ways to propell, I say its all propelling, so its going to be fundemantally similar. The biggest issue I would think though would be the friction of the type of dirt on the planet for how they decide to travel by land, or if theres a significant difference in density of the fluid of their rivers or oceans.

if propulsion is propulsion, then is a jet engine similar to a leg?

ever see how squid move?

fine:
how is the squid propulsion, upon which the jet engine is designed, the same as a leg, or, hell, their near relative, an octopi
i didnt say legs were similar to movement in fluids though. I mean land based movements will always be similar, and ocean based movements are only moving through fluids, theres a set pattern nearly to how to move in a fluid, its not going to have very different options from here on earth in mobility I would think, unless the ground is very sticky or slippery compared to on earth, or if the fluid is alot denser or considerably less dense, then they would probably adopt certain movement styles over others.

The way to travel is usually pushing water, and buoyancy (changing density to float or sink). Theres only so many ways to effectively propell yourself off of pushing water, I dont think its going to be vastly different from on earth, the popular method might become different or something from the most popular method in microscopic organisms, but I think its not going to differ drastically.
Space, exploring it without profit has left space programs scounging for ways to get out there and discover! Now what ya'll wanna' bet we end up finding a planet with a crap ton of some cool critter we end up putting in the pet store. The world's first extra-terrestrial pet! And it sells like mo-fakkin' crazy! And the revenue makes money for us to go back out there and find more Tribbles or what have you? Well it could be minerals first... or maybe SPICE biggrin

Yeah, lol... life on other planets would be pretty cool. Go go Starship Troopers!
i think if there's life on other planets it probably does not resemble life on earth at all and will be completely foreign and possibly even undetectable by human scientists

that or insectoid in form bc we all know phylum arthropoda is the most successful so if there's successful and sentient life on other planets chances are it's of that kind. which is really scary. hive mind insect worlds!

but then i know nothing about astrophysicis or w/e so what do i know.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
silkandflowers
i think if there's life on other planets it probably does not resemble life on earth at all and will be completely foreign and possibly even undetectable by human scientists

that or insectoid in form bc we all know phylum arthropoda is the most successful so if there's successful and sentient life on other planets chances are it's of that kind. which is really scary. hive mind insect worlds!

Arthropoda may be the most technically successful, but it doesn't seem to lend itself to higher intelligence, at least when in the presence of larger life.

Fanatical Zealot

Planet cores typically have a s**t load of helium 3 in them.

Just finding an uninhabited earth like planet could result in insane revenue- imagine a planet cores worth of helium-3.

1000 times more powerful than uranium in a uranium reactor, no waste, non radioactive.

Easy to transition to fusion when possible, and be even more powerful.
Keltoi Samurai
silkandflowers

Arthropoda may be the most technically successful, but it doesn't seem to lend itself to higher intelligence, at least when in the presence of larger life.

not necessarily

the thing about arthropoda is that it can withstand p much anything that tends to level most other kinds of life forms, so when all of those have been done away with it's possible that insects, particularly hive insects bc they're the most socially advanced (and sociality is possibly one of the reasons humans rose to such dominance) would rise up AND TAKE OVER THE EARTH etc
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
agrab0ekim
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
agrab0ekim
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu

ever see how squid move?

fine:
i didnt say legs were similar to movement in fluids though. I mean land based movements will always be similar, and ocean based movements are only moving through fluids, theres a set pattern nearly to how to move in a fluid, its not going to have very different options from here on earth in mobility I would think, unless the ground is very sticky or slippery compared to on earth, or if the fluid is alot denser or considerably less dense, then they would probably adopt certain movement styles over others.

The way to travel is usually pushing water, and buoyancy (changing density to float or sink). Theres only so many ways to effectively propell yourself off of pushing water, I dont think its going to be vastly different from on earth, the popular method might become different or something from the most popular method in microscopic organisms, but I think its not going to differ drastically.

I agree that most marine organisms (higher level) move the same way, but that is SOLELY due to a common ancestor, not because it is the best method to move through water (see why our subs do it differently). You are assuming that equal pressures create the same life - accepting that drift will not occur, that still isn't correct, as flaggella are just as useful as cillia, but both developed and competed

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff