Welcome to Gaia! ::

Belonging To Night
Old Blue Collar Joe
And...when they decide something you like to say is 'offensive' and they attach a fine to it? Say, they have a majority christian council and decide pro-abortion/pro-gay rights comments are 'offensive, and thus, worth a $50.00 fine, you think that, too, is acceptable?

Are you for or against someone swarming you and your family or even the area you're in while they are yelling obscenities?

Where in the comments is 'swarming' mentioned? I don't remember seeing that. While I may find the language offensive in certain company, I also do NOT agree with limiting speech. You also didn't answer the question. Where do you draw the line? Wait...you can't. The politicians do.
Hanma Selis
Princess Creampie
Old Blue Collar Joe
Princess Creampie
I hardly swear in real life. The only times are when I'm really angry or annoyed--or having sex.

Personally, when someone swears in front of me, I find it distasteful.

Not relevant whether one finds it acceptable or not. It's against the first amendment.

In the state of Illinois, it's illegal to swear towards someone who works in law enforcement.

That is a more understandable law, seeing that it is considered disrespecting a peace officer. But still, $20 for using profanity? That is kinda extreme.

Well yeah, but this will probably depend on the officers mood when handing out tickets. Police are not required by law for them to give you a ticket automatically when it goes against code. The law lets police officers decide if they should let it slide or not. Also, they're not required by law to arrest you.

It may be on how you treat the popo in front of you when you swear in the end. I remember when I jaywalked on Route 66, and a police officer came up to me and just gave me a warning. I addressed him properly, and kept my cool. Police officers prefer to be called sir or ma'am.

Also, the best thing ever is when you name drop a cop. You get off Scott free most of the time.
Dr Dillinger
Old Blue Collar Joe
What part of 'you have to pay to do it now' equals free? I'm no CPA, but even my math skills indicate that isn't free.

There was a price to swearing beforehand in certain social circles. All this does is create another group that you shouldn't swear at. Freedom of speech does not mean saying whatever you like whenever you like without consequence. How can people so blatantly misunderstand their own bill of rights?

Actually, short of communicating a threat or yelling 'fire' or such in a crowded theatre, that is exactly what it means.

Fashionable Lunatic

1,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Belonging To Night
Old Blue Collar Joe
And...when they decide something you like to say is 'offensive' and they attach a fine to it? Say, they have a majority christian council and decide pro-abortion/pro-gay rights comments are 'offensive, and thus, worth a $50.00 fine, you think that, too, is acceptable?

Are you for or against someone swarming you and your family or even the area you're in while they are yelling obscenities?

Me, I wouldn't care, as long as they don't get in my face using profanity. Until then, let sleeping dogs lie.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Actually, short of communicating a threat or yelling 'fire' or such in a crowded theatre, that is exactly what it means.

I'm afraid it isn't. Call someone an a*****e and then plead the first when he punches you on the nose. See if it stays his fist.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Well, if it wasn't for the fact it is in Illinois, one of the cornerstone of those that abuse the ******** out of the constitution, I'd have been surprised.

Hey, mister. I take offense to that. Illinois may have its corruption moments, but Illinois is my home and I love it. Its the same way as someone from the Middle East still loves their country of origin. They may love American Freedom and worked really hard to achieve the life they have now, but that's where they grew up, That's where they find a euphoric feeling from nostalgia. biggrin

Wheezing Prophet

7,350 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I'm okay with it as long as the money goes to me personally.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Belonging To Night
Old Blue Collar Joe

Where in the comments is 'swarming' mentioned? I don't remember seeing that. While I may find the language offensive in certain company, I also do NOT agree with limiting speech. You also didn't answer the question. Where do you draw the line? Wait...you can't. The politicians do.

And where in my post did I mention that I was in favor of solely punishing a person who cursed? And further, where did I mention that I was in favor of limiting a person's freedom to utilize their vocabulary and phraseology? My point was specific to a person yelling and disrupting the public by hurling a verbal maelstrom of curse words around all willy-nilly.
Omorose Panya

No! It must go to me! I am the Fuhrer!
Old Blue Collar Joe
Dr Dillinger
Old Blue Collar Joe
What part of 'you have to pay to do it now' equals free? I'm no CPA, but even my math skills indicate that isn't free.

There was a price to swearing beforehand in certain social circles. All this does is create another group that you shouldn't swear at. Freedom of speech does not mean saying whatever you like whenever you like without consequence. How can people so blatantly misunderstand their own bill of rights?

A person who threatens another human being, and a person who yells "fire," are both examples of people utilizing their freedom of speech, no more or less different than when an individual cusses up a storm.

Wheezing Prophet

7,350 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Princess Creampie
Omorose Panya

No! It must go to me! I am the Fuhrer!
You do deserve a cut. You can have $1 per every $100,001 I make. 3nodding

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Hanma Selis
Princess Creampie
Old Blue Collar Joe
Princess Creampie
I hardly swear in real life. The only times are when I'm really angry or annoyed--or having sex.

Not relevant whether one finds it acceptable or not. It's against the first amendment.

In the state of Illinois, it's illegal to swear towards someone who works in law enforcement.

That is a more understandable law, seeing that it is considered disrespecting a peace officer. But still, $20 for using profanity? That is kinda extreme.

I can UNDERSTAND the law about swearing at a police officer, I just don't necessarily agree with it, as I have trouble understanding why swearwords used in a disrespectful way are somehow worse than nonswears used disrespectfully.

though, to be honest, even if I WERE to be disrespectful to a cop, I wouldn't use swears at them. I usually prefer a bit more . . . finesse, when insulting a member of the general populace, and I wouldn't offer an officer of the law any less than my finest in insults. swearing is, quite frankly, lazy.
Dr Dillinger
Old Blue Collar Joe

I'm afraid it isn't. Call someone an a*****e and then plead the first when he punches you on the nose. See if it stays his fist.

That constitutes assault. Entirely different issue, nor did I say that it protects one from the person they offended from telling them they find it offensive. The issue is the GOVERNMENT saying 'we are going to control your speech'.
Keltoi Samurai
Hanma Selis
Princess Creampie
Old Blue Collar Joe
Princess Creampie

I can UNDERSTAND the law about swearing at a police officer, I just don't necessarily agree with it, as I have trouble understanding why swearwords used in a disrespectful way are somehow worse than nonswears used disrespectfully.

though, to be honest, even if I WERE to be disrespectful to a cop, I wouldn't use swears at them. I usually prefer a bit more . . . finesse, when insulting a member of the general populace, and I wouldn't offer an officer of the law any less than my finest in insults. swearing is, quite frankly, lazy.

"Dagnabbit, a pox on you, you wily navy blue-uniformed, porcine wretch!" versus "******** you, you ******** pig! Oink, oink!"
Old Blue Collar Joe
The issue is the GOVERNMENT saying 'we are going to control your speech'.

Pfft. You want to find an issue here. It's an unenforcable mess that won't ever come to fruition.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff