Welcome to Gaia! ::

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/04/30/middleborough-police-chief-proposes-20-fine-for-swearing/

If you don't want to exercise the right, that's fine. But seriously, attempting to curb it?
I hardly swear in real life. The only times are when I'm really angry or annoyed--or having sex.

Personally, when someone swears in front of me, I find it distasteful.

Fashionable Lunatic

1,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
.........Seriously!? Well, that city not going to be a favorite place for sailors.
Princess Creampie
I hardly swear in real life. The only times are when I'm really angry or annoyed--or having sex.

Not relevant whether one finds it acceptable or not. It's against the first amendment.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Not relevant whether one finds it acceptable or not. It's against the first amendment.

It's not against the first amendment. You would still have the freedom to swear, just the cost of doing so would be higher.
The idea isn't that bad. But $20 is a bit steep. And if it's only a curse, then I'd have a problem with it. Maybe if the cursing was oriented more toward yelling them and disrupting the public, then the $100 fine proposed at the end of the article wouldn't be such a bad thing. But for simply saying a cuss word?

Aged Lunatic

But I thought local governments were ALWAYS better at law making and policy for their populance than the federal government.

Also, remember Joe, it's not oppression when it's local governments doing it. That's what Ron Paul sez! rofl
Old Blue Collar Joe
Princess Creampie

In the state of Illinois, it's illegal to swear towards someone who works in law enforcement.

Ferocious Browser

rolleyes how stupid

Fashionable Lunatic

1,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Princess Creampie
Old Blue Collar Joe
Princess Creampie

In the state of Illinois, it's illegal to swear towards someone who works in law enforcement.

That is a more understandable law, seeing that it is considered disrespecting a peace officer. But still, $20 for using profanity? That is kinda extreme.
Dr Dillinger
Old Blue Collar Joe

It's not against the first amendment. You would still have the freedom to swear, just the cost of doing so would be higher.

What part of 'you have to pay to do it now' equals free? I'm no CPA, but even my math skills indicate that isn't free.

Belonging To Night
The idea isn't that bad. But $20 is a bit steep. And if it's only a curse, then I'd have a problem with it. Maybe if the cursing was oriented more toward yelling them and disrupting the public, then the $100 fine proposed at the end of the article wouldn't be such a bad thing. But for simply saying a cuss word?

And...when they decide something you like to say is 'offensive' and they attach a fine to it? Say, they have a majority christian council and decide pro-abortion/pro-gay rights comments are 'offensive, and thus, worth a $50.00 fine, you think that, too, is acceptable?

GunsmithKitten
But I thought local governments were ALWAYS better at law making and policy for their populance than the federal government.

Also, remember Joe, it's not oppression when it's local governments doing it. That's what Ron Paul sez! rofl

Ron Paul? GSK, do you really think I'd defend that stubby little ********? Seriously? Only way I'd ever vote for him is if it were he and Obama as the two candidates...wait...no...then I'd do a write in and vote for my dogs a**. It would do a better job than either of those retards.

Princess Creampie
Old Blue Collar Joe
Princess Creampie

Well, if it wasn't for the fact it is in Illinois, one of the cornerstone of those that abuse the ******** out of the constitution, I'd have been surprised.
Looking forward to Black Wing Angel coming across this thread. Shall we take bets as to the wording of his response? Or at least how many swear words he will use in it.

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Seems like a good idea, your right to swear should not infringe on my right not to hear it.
Old Blue Collar Joe
And...when they decide something you like to say is 'offensive' and they attach a fine to it? Say, they have a majority christian council and decide pro-abortion/pro-gay rights comments are 'offensive, and thus, worth a $50.00 fine, you think that, too, is acceptable?

Are you for or against someone swarming you and your family or even the area you're in while they are yelling obscenities?
Old Blue Collar Joe
What part of 'you have to pay to do it now' equals free? I'm no CPA, but even my math skills indicate that isn't free.

There was a price to swearing beforehand in certain social circles. All this does is create another group that you shouldn't swear at. Freedom of speech does not mean saying whatever you like whenever you like without consequence. How can people so blatantly misunderstand their own bill of rights?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff