• Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
CH1YO
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO

That's irrelevant.
How so? Ye said it wasn't a helpful act and I found an example in which it be helpful. I fail ta' ta' see th' irrelevance here

Your comment, not the killing of others, was what I referred to as unhelpful.
How so?

It didn't really add anything.
I don't see how it didn't add anythin'
Doofi3
I'm fairly certain that lions are not capable of discerning something as "nice." I respect other animals as part of my philosophy, but I can't conceive of them thinking as humans do. The brainwaves just aren't there for one thing.

Brainwaves aren't a real thing. A lot of your arguments appear to read "I do not agree with that so it must not be true" I'm not going to argue against that position as it would be pointless. Mark famously had a relationship with a lion which was based around obligation and kindness.

Doofi3
Anyway, I wasn't saying that there aren't things in the animal world that could potentially be perceived as "nice" or altruistic. I'm saying that there is always some evolutionary reason for behavior (whether it is learned or inherited behavior) that ultimately serves the self in some way. I don't believe it is possible for a human or any other animal to preform a truly selfless act. There is always something to be gained on a personal level.

No one does anything without motivation? Of course not.

Doofi3
Sure, there are actions that seem totally self-sacrificing but there is always some reason for the action that serves oneself. I'm not trying to detract from the heroic acts of others here. In fact, in a strange way, if someone does something generally recognized as "heroic" and self-sacrificing I feel it has more meaning if the action also served that individual. The fact that we humans (and other animals for that matter) need each other is illustrated when these kinds of behaviors are exhibited. Something that benefits one of us can also be used to benefit others. In other words, even if there are ulterior motives behind someone's "altruism," something positive has still been done by one person to help another.

Interdependence is key.
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO

That's irrelevant.
How so? Ye said it wasn't a helpful act and I found an example in which it be helpful. I fail ta' ta' see th' irrelevance here

How so?

Non-contribution is a passive effect, you do not see it occurring.

Dedicated Browser

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
CH1YO
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO

How so?

Methinks it be an effect based somewhat on opinion. If'n someone thinks that somethin' ain't contributin', then ta' them no matta' what that somethin' ain't contributin', no matta' how much it may be

Like right now methinks that yer not contributin' by arguin' wit' me 'bout how I me comment wasn't contributin'

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
CH1YO

Brainwaves aren't a real thing.

Excuse me? I'm a little lost. Haven't we spent decades studying the electromagnetic waves within animal brains?

CH1YO
A lot of your arguments appear to read "I do not agree with that so it must not be true" I'm not going to argue against that position as it would be pointless. Mark famously had a relationship with a lion which was based around obligation and kindness.

No, that is not my position and I never intended to put that sentiment out. I'm simply stating my philosophical standpoint on this issue.
Can you give me a source that shows lions (or any animal or human) preforming an act of true altruism? Not sure which Mark you're referring to, can you please elaborate?

CH1YO
No one does anything without motivation? Of course not.

Not sure how this supports your argument. No one lives without breathing either.

CH1YO
Interdependence is key.

Same thing as above, I don't see how this supports your position that fully selfless acts are possible. (Unless I misunderstood you and you aren't arguing that point.) Oxygen is key. What about it?
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO

How so?

Methinks it be an effect based somewhat on opinion. If'n someone thinks that somethin' ain't contributin', then ta' them no matta' what that somethin' ain't contributin', no matta' how much it may be

Like right now methinks that yer not contributin' by arguin' wit' me 'bout how I me comment wasn't contributin'

You're free to think that if you prefer.
Doofi3
Excuse me? I'm a little lost. Haven't we spent decades studying the electromagnetic waves within animal brains?

I certainly haven't. I can't think of anyone else who might have lost decades doing that either.

Doofi3
No, that is not my position and I never intended to put that sentiment out. I'm simply stating my philosophical standpoint on this issue.
Can you give me a source that shows lions (or any animal or human) preforming an act of true altruism? Not sure which Mark you're referring to, can you please elaborate?

This Mark.

Doofi3
Not sure how this supports your argument. No one lives without breathing either.

Another excellent point, very true but almost completely pointless in it's wide scope.

Doofi3
Same thing as above, I don't see how this supports your position that fully selfless acts are possible. (Unless I misunderstood you and you aren't arguing that point.) Oxygen is key. What about it?

It doesn't, it was never supposed to.

Dedicated Browser

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
CH1YO
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO

And ye be free ta' think what ye like

Now methinks that this conva'satio be goin' awry from th' OP and thus should stop, since ye dislike tryin' ta' respond wit' replies that will keep us remainin' on topic and get sidetracked wit' "relevancy", while I refuse ta' continue talkin' 'bout th' topic from th' OP 'cause ye didn't respond wit' anythin' else relatin' ta' it

I mean ya coulda' had a secondary response in thar somewhere relatin' ta' th' OP, but instead ye decided ta' respond only ta' how ye think me reply twas irrelevant er unhelpful, don't know which yer complainin' 'bout er if'n it be both. Methinks gettin' back on track right now be impossible
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO

And ye be free ta' think what ye like

Now methinks that this conva'satio be goin' awry from th' OP and thus should stop, since ye dislike tryin' ta' respond wit' replies that will keep us remainin' on topic and get sidetracked wit' "relevancy", while I refuse ta' continue talkin' 'bout th' topic from th' OP 'cause ye didn't respond wit' anythin' else relatin' ta' it

I mean ya coulda' had a secondary response in thar somewhere relatin' ta' th' OP, but instead ye decided ta' respond only ta' how ye think me reply twas irrelevant er unhelpful, don't know which yer complainin' 'bout er if'n it be both. Methinks gettin' back on track right now be impossible

I agree, you are being quite unhelpful.

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
CH1YO

I certainly haven't. I can't think of anyone else who might have lost decades doing that either.

I still fail to see how you can possibly think that brainwaves don't exist...

I'm sorry, I should have specified that it should be a scientific source. Catholic anecdotes don't exactly fall under my conception of a trustworthy source.

CH1YO
Another excellent point, very true but almost completely pointless in it's wide scope.

Your point was as pointless because I didn't understand why you made it in the first place as it has no bearing on the debate of this topic.

CH1YO
It doesn't, it was never supposed to.

So why did you point it out?...

In any case, this is getting horribly off topic. To get us back on the course of the OP: do you disagree that killing is natural?

Unbeatable Survivor

6,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
Beautiful Blue Kangaroo
I understand that in modern society that most of you are sheltered sheep, but the truth of the matter is: Killing other human beings is perfectly natural, and if you had lived 800 years ago, you likely would have killed or been killed by another human being. Anyone who disagrees is a sheltered kid who was obviously from circumstances fortunate enough to avoid Military Service.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

If not OP is very very dumb.

Yes humans are aggressive. Yes killing is something that comes naturally to us. But it isn't something humans are okay with doing to other humans usually. That isn't a result of being sheltered, it's the reason why in WWII the japanese and germans were made into caricatures. Because it's easier to kill someone if some part of your is able to say they are not humans like you.

It is natural to kill, We kill animals, most people don't blink twice. But kill a human, and prepare to never. ever. hear the end of it. Even if it saved millions of other lives. Especially if it saved millions of lives. Just ask Truman about those atomic bombs that was the only thing that stopped WWII before millions of citizens in japan showed the middle east how you really do suicide bombing to stop tanks.

Furthermore, use of ad hominem attacks on people who disagree is distasteful and points out how little you actually know.
I say its natural beacuse loads of humans kill other humans right this day
Doofi3
I still fail to see how you can possibly think that brainwaves don't exist...

They don't, it's easy.

Doofi3
I'm sorry, I should have specified that it should be a scientific source. Catholic anecdotes don't exactly fall under my conception of a trustworthy source.

I didn't present an anecdote.

Doofi3
Your point was as pointless because I didn't understand why you made it in the first place as it has no bearing on the debate of this topic.

Just because you do not understand does not make my point invalid.

Doofi3
So why did you point it out?...

I like replying to whole posts, even if it is not strictly necessary.

Doofi3
In any case, this is getting horribly off topic. To get us back on the course of the OP: do you disagree that killing is natural?

Of course not.

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
CH1YO

Doofi3

Of course not.

Then we can cease this debate as we agree on the OP's topic anyway, lol.

Oh, and I see what you mean when you say you like replying to the whole post even if it isn't necessary. Guess I just tend more towards brevity in my replies.
Doofi3
Then we can cease this debate as we agree on the OP's topic anyway, lol.

Where's the fun in that?

Doofi3
Oh, and I see what you mean when you say you like replying to the whole post even if it isn't necessary. Guess I just tend more towards brevity in my replies.

There really is no accounting for taste.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff