Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greedy Consumer

SarahSass
Killing another human being is unnatural because it is the complete opposite of the natural human instinct to procreate.
I just realized though, environmental and teritorial stress and such increase the more dense of a population a species is, so technically society should have been killing alot more frequently. I suppose thats why war exists lol, so we don't eat all the natural resources.

So technically war isn't a bad thing entirely. Though thats hard to see from human eyes lol.
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
SarahSass
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
SarahSass
Killing another human being is unnatural because it is the complete opposite of the natural human instinct to procreate.
Let'z procreate :3 saying no will be wholly unnatural.

XD Don't tell me your going to use that as a pick up line! XD
Technically I already did (just now XD lol) but it was just a joke anyhow. :3 Still a little funny lol.

Oh, yeah it's funny. XD I don't disagree with that. XD
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
SarahSass
I just realized though, environmental and teritorial stress and such increase the more dense of a population a species is, so technically society should have been killing alot more frequently. I suppose thats why war exists lol, so we don't eat all the natural resources.

So technically war isn't a bad thing entirely. Though thats hard to see from human eyes lol.

I do acknowledge that sometimes it is neccessary to kill someone in order to defend your own life, but to look at it systematicaly (sp?) as if certain humans should die simply because of food shortages isn't good. Life is sacred, and must be treated with the utmost respect. Some people are a threat the human race continuing, so in that sense it is natural to stop them by whatever means nesseccary, but if the person is not a threat to the continuation of the human race it is unnatural to kill them. All species share the same basic instinct, to continue their species, wether that means strengthening themselves or strengthening others in their speicies. To kill simply to kill is unnatural, it goes against natural insticts that probably all species share.

Greedy Consumer

SarahSass
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
SarahSass

I do acknowledge that sometimes it is neccessary to kill someone in order to defend your own life, but to look at it systematicaly (sp?) as if certain humans should die simply because of food shortages isn't good. Life is sacred, and must be treated with the utmost respect. Some people are a threat the human race continuing, so in that sense it is natural to stop them by whatever means nesseccary, but if the person is not a threat to the continuation of the human race it is unnatural to kill them. All species share the same basic instinct, to continue their species, wether that means strengthening themselves or strengthening others in their speicies. To kill simply to kill is unnatural, it goes against natural insticts that probably all species share.
Well killing to kill almost never happens. Like, killing for money, for territory, even animals kill for territory. Like gorillas can have gang fights for instance. So saying technically its not unnatural. And I suggested a reason why it might occur.
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
SarahSass
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
SarahSass

Well killing to kill almost never happens. Like, killing for money, for territory, even animals kill for territory. Like gorillas can have gang fights for instance. So saying technically its not unnatural. And I suggested a reason why it might occur.

True. It still seems unnatural to me. In my opinion the only time a person should kill another is if that person is directly threatening the other person's life. If there are no direct threats, then no killing should occur. Like I said, life is sacred. If a person kills for something they don't absolutely need, then they are the apitimy (sp?) of selfishness.

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
CH1YO
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO

That may be true but it doesn't help very much.
Depends on th' circumstances. If'n some bloke was gonna take yer loot then killin' 'em be quite helpful

That's irrelevant.
How so? Ye said it wasn't a helpful act and I found an example in which it be helpful. I fail ta' ta' see th' irrelevance here

Your comment, not the killing of others, was what I referred to as unhelpful.
How so?

Smoker

NANTO SUICHO KEN!

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
Jin_of_the_thunder
Doofi3
Jin_of_the_thunder
you do realize that not hurting other human beings is equally natural. what's your point?

I think the point is that people make a big stink about killing and how it is "unnatural." Generally speaking not hurting other humans is not something many people even notice.

who says killing is unnatural? people make a big stink about killing because its wrong. by the way, i am not saying it is always wrong and yes sometimes it is justifiable. but as a general rule, we society have deemed killing is wrong because of the negative consequences it brings to the masses.

I know I'm nitpicking, but "killing" isn't generally considered "wrong." If anything related to killing is generally considered "wrong" it is "murder."

Oh, and interesting little factoid, the most common ethical standard is not "murdering is bad." It is actually "lying is bad." More cultures worldwide have moral standards that include lying as something "wrong" than killing or murder.

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
CH1YO
Doofi3
CH1YO
Doofi3
CH1YO
It may be a natural occurrence but even so it is still not very a nice thing to do.

If you think about it the concept of being nice or altruism is more "unnatural" than killing someone...

Not really, no.

Are other animals nice or altruistic? Not really.

I don't really believe human beings are capable of true altruism anyway to be honest.

If you don't believe in it of course you are not going to think that it is natural.

Sometimes lions adopt antelope, that always struck me as very nice.

I'm fairly certain that lions are not capable of discerning something as "nice." I respect other animals as part of my philosophy, but I can't conceive of them thinking as humans do. The brainwaves just aren't there for one thing.

Anyway, I wasn't saying that there aren't things in the animal world that could potentially be perceived as "nice" or altruistic. I'm saying that there is always some evolutionary reason for behavior (whether it is learned or inherited behavior) that ultimately serves the self in some way. I don't believe it is possible for a human or any other animal to preform a truly selfless act. There is always something to be gained on a personal level.

Sure, there are actions that seem totally self-sacrificing but there is always some reason for the action that serves oneself. I'm not trying to detract from the heroic acts of others here. In fact, in a strange way, if someone does something generally recognized as "heroic" and self-sacrificing I feel it has more meaning if the action also served that individual. The fact that we humans (and other animals for that matter) need each other is illustrated when these kinds of behaviors are exhibited. Something that benefits one of us can also be used to benefit others. In other words, even if there are ulterior motives behind someone's "altruism," something positive has still been done by one person to help another.

Lonely Hunter

7,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Profitable 100
Doofi3
Jin_of_the_thunder
Doofi3
Jin_of_the_thunder
you do realize that not hurting other human beings is equally natural. what's your point?

I think the point is that people make a big stink about killing and how it is "unnatural." Generally speaking not hurting other humans is not something many people even notice.

who says killing is unnatural? people make a big stink about killing because its wrong. by the way, i am not saying it is always wrong and yes sometimes it is justifiable. but as a general rule, we society have deemed killing is wrong because of the negative consequences it brings to the masses.

I know I'm nitpicking, but "killing" isn't generally considered "wrong." If anything related to killing is generally considered "wrong" it is "murder."

Oh, and interesting little factoid, the most common ethical standard is not "murdering is bad." It is actually "lying is bad." More cultures worldwide have moral standards that include lying as something "wrong" than killing or murder.

hang on, how would you test that? i mean what modern day contries deem murder more acceptable than lying? and how do you know thats true?
I'm amused by both worlds on this topic.

The gun-ho all about self defense, "you don't know what its like" kinda people who have experienced things like war or violence first hand.

Then the sheltered "sheep" who have no idea whats out there or what it is like but yet make huge and bold statements about how they oppose it or are somehow "better" than it, yet are vicariously a part of its cause.

In my eyes, I accept death as an old friend as I accept life as a new beginning. People make their own journey through life, finding what they learn to be ideal to them.

I honestly dont care if someone is offended by my job occupation as a "baby murdering"" Infantryman or "blood thirsty" soldier, since it doesnt affect me and I know I hold myself to a moral balance.

I'm happy with my own nirvana and definition of being "Zen" in life. Good luck to anyone else finding their own peace.

Fanatical Zealot

So is not killing them.

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
Jin_of_the_thunder

hang on, how would you test that? i mean what modern day contries deem murder more acceptable than lying? and how do you know thats true?

I'm sorry, I meant to specify that historically "murder is bad" is not as common a statement as "lying is bad" in ethical systems. Oh, and it isn't about countries, but cultures. Also, it isn't that more cultures deem murder "acceptable," but that more condemn lying than condemn murder. Oh, and I believe the professor was saying that more cultures have and do say "lying is wrong" as an Expressly stated moral rule than do so for "murder is wrong." So it isn't that more cultures "accept" murder, but they don't expressly include "DO NOT murder" in their moral code.

I'll have to look it up to try and find a source, but I heard that fact in one of my history classes (or was it philosophy...? lol). Give me a bit to look.
Reminder to self: stay the ******** away from OP. OP is psychopath or troll.
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO
Kaptain K Rool
CH1YO

That may be true but it doesn't help very much.
Depends on th' circumstances. If'n some bloke was gonna take yer loot then killin' 'em be quite helpful

That's irrelevant.
How so? Ye said it wasn't a helpful act and I found an example in which it be helpful. I fail ta' ta' see th' irrelevance here

Your comment, not the killing of others, was what I referred to as unhelpful.
How so?

It didn't really add anything.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas