Welcome to Gaia! ::

Driken
kids in the 7th grade who think they are gay.

whats wrong with gay 7th graders? there are 7th graders dating, even having sex, so why cant they be doing it with people of there own gender?
Driken
Or kids in the 7th grade who think they are gay.

I don't think that's the media. I think that's just being confused...or really being gay.
l0ve4sessh0maru
Driken

I don't think that's the media. I think that's just being confused...or really being gay.

Unless they decided to be gay because they saw it on television and thought it was cool.

But then, they're not really gay since people like that are usually called "lipstick lesbians", "trendy gays", or "psuedo-homosexuals"
it sure does sound pathetic xp
Remote Control
l0ve4sessh0maru
Driken

Unless they decided to be gay because they saw it on television and thought it was cool.

But then, they're not really gay since people like that are usually called "lipstick lesbians", "trendy gays", or "psuedo-homosexuals"

Yeah... they know they're not gay... I mean, you don't just wake up one day saying: "I KNOW! I'm gay!"
l0ve4sessh0maru
Yeah... they know they're not gay... I mean, you don't just wake up one day saying: "I KNOW! I'm gay!"

Well, some actual homosexuals might of realized that they were gay like that.

I think it would be more along the lines of "OMG! That chick on teh OC ish a lezzie?! OMG! Now i w@nt 2 B 1 2!! OMG!"
I've definitely been noticing the degradation of chilluns' minds over the years, and though there are a few small bastions of resistance, I find myself for the most part to be surrounded by children of the new media generation. I have a hard time finding people who read for fun in my AP English class. There's something very wrong with that. And of all the people who claim to love music, so very few of them can actually play an instrument or understand the basics of theory.

It all reminds me somewhat of Ilium by Dan Simmons, where the society is so far advanced that they've completely lost the ability to read, though books are still valued as antiques. Evidently humans went from reading, to using a "reading function" to learn what the books were about, to losing both abilities. Out of everyone on the Earth, only one person becomes able to read, and that's at the age of 80-something. I love Dan Simmons' work because it's the most realistic far-future fiction I've found yet.

And of course, there's the matter of sinking into stereotypes. Just about everyone is guilty of it, really. Kids imitating rock stars, rap gangstas, "nonconformist" goths (I still get a kick out of the fact that they call themselves nonconformists), etc. Frankly, I don't find this as worrying as the other stuff, but it's still something to consider. How often do you find someone who genuinely doesn't care about how well they fit into a certain group, or how many interests they share with their peers? I don't think I've found any, as of yet. Even I'm somewhat guilty, though I make a conscious effort not to be.
Um actually that doesn't go for all children.I don't do what I see on t.v. but if they see a commercial for a video game or sneakers,they have a right to buy it.People have different taste in different things.And I dont think children get that into sex as you think they do.
Lets face it we are all consumer whores (well any one else who was born between 1980 and 2000 that is)....they make the product and we buy it whether it be simple speech dictating social rules or merchandise we don't really need....

....we are the MTV generation - generation Y as the papers call it we are obsessed with what we want and we and we want it right NOW(!!) and on a platter too...a consumer nation, addicted to a variety of substances that we merely intake to sustain and validate our greed and abundance of existance..
(yay! first post ever on ED!)

To start off, it seems like a lot of the replies to this thread begin with something like 'I'm not like that, I READ!'. I didn't think this thread was about who reads and who doesn't. A lot of people who replied, apparently, would rather read than watch television. However, that doesn't necessarily help. Books are a form of media just as pop-based as T.V. or videogames. I've seen the people who dress like the mall is their personal closet and act as though they were born to create drama on 'The Real World' read as much as anyone else. This, however, doesn't make them any less media-influenced as anyone else. Very few books actually have any kind of true value in the ways of theme or message. Few moral lessons can be found on a majority of a teenage reader's bookshelf. Just as there are educational and insightful television programs out there there are insightful books as well, but not all apply. Hiding in books is no better than hiding in front of a television set. Media whores come in ALL guises and conforming to intellectual stereotypes does not make you an intellectual, nor does it make you immune.

To continue. It's true that not ALL teenagers and children are completely influenced by the media. In fact, there are very few who are ENTIRELY enslaved to such a thing. However, it is a growing cult. It's also true that everyone is influenced by their original values and opinions before the media, but it is becoming more and more common for children to be obtaining these values and opinions from the media to begin with. This is why it is more likely to see a teenager conforming to the ideals and stereotypes of the media than to see an adult do the same. Mind you, no one is immune to the influences around them and that doesn't exclude those of a later age.

Finally, no person doesn't care about material things. The media prays off of this weakness as it pedals it's products. It is assumed that because of advertisements, one is going to buy something they want simply because the people depicted with this product are sexy, glamorous, and generally more attractive than those without. However, this also leads to a reverse effect and another cause to media conformity. Now, because the people most affected by adds in the media are younger and less likely to obtain the products pedalled and desired, teenagers are trying to immitate those people shown in the hopes that they can obtain the objects they want. So, in the end, it can be said that people imitate to obtain these items shown them by the media. Those who imitate most are emptiest because they imitate for those things they want but do not have. An example of imitation can be found also in the copying of the personality and actions similar to those of a wise character in a book in the effort to seek wisdom.

In the end, everyone wants to be enlightened and fulfilled. However, those of the current generations look only to the media for fulfillment because they know nothing else. Whether that media be books, magazines, video games or television, it matters not. The only solution to any kind of media influence is to become a hermit or otherwise dead to the world because everyone is affected, some more than others. Wisdom can be found in the observation and understanding of the world around, not the automatic explanations of reality from the media.

Please don't reply to this particular post with any of that 'I'm not like that!' nonsense. There are exceptions to EVERY rule and I know this. However, only someone else can tell you you are an exception. It is not self-declared with any truth because you are always biased to yourself.
chiisai

Whoa!! That's a long post for your first - pls condense at least a little!!
Media can send either positive or negative influence. Depends on the person as to what to make of it.

~Kazuhide Aeiji
Mistress-Whisky
chiisai

Whoa!! That's a long post for your first - pls condense at least a little!!

Sorry! I tend to get carried away on subjects when I have a strong opinion about them.. sweatdrop sweatdrop sweatdrop sweatdrop

I didn't want to leave anything out, though. So, that is only my whole and complete opinion/observation. Sorry it's so long-winded sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff